Which Are the Most UNcomfortable Cans on the Planet?
Jan 24, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #31 of 109
The KSC-35/75 are both pretty uncomfortable. You can bend the clips to make it better, but they are never comfortable. When I take off my glasses they are a little better, but definately not great. The portaPro's were way more comfortable than both...but the headband always snagged my hair upon removal...then I modded them and didn't want to reverse them back...so I sold them.

I honestly think Grado's are pretty comfy with bowls and/or worn in flats.They are VERY comfy with reversed HD414 pads too (so ugly though).

Another bad one was the HD-600, though people claim they lose their VICE GRIP after some time.

...but my vote for the most uncomfortable headphones ever are these cheap Sony street styles (don't have the model on hand). They are non-adjustable and simply not big enough to get around my head...so they yank on my ears and the pads don't even sit properly, so the sound leaks. I tried to use them once, for the hell of it, and I endd up wanting to tear them off my head and stomp them into an oblivion...though I was worried they would take one of my ears with them...and I didn't want to be Van Gogh.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #32 of 109
If I ever get a set of Grado's I'm gonna get Headphile C-pads for them, that should make them comfy
rs1smile.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #33 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
These SR-225s that arrived today hurt like crazy. I can barely tolerate them for 15 minutes. Even worse is that I really don't like how they sound with the bowls as they do with reversed bowls. The reversed bowls actually let the plastic contact your ears and they hurt in about 5 minutes.

All this aside I will admit that ER-4s with triflanges have in the past hurt to the point that I wanted to scream and curse. However. now with foamies I listen to them for 4-5 hours continuously with no problems.

Did you bend the headband out? Joe Grado used to include an instruction sheet with diagrams showing that if the headband puts pressure on your head, here's what you do (stick man bends headband out) we laughed at the time, but now that the sheet is gone, folks really do skip this step unfortunately. Hulk that band back, it's made of metal, it won't break!

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #35 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Did you bend the headband out? Joe Grado used to include an instruction sheet with diagrams showing that if the headband puts pressure on your head, here's what you do (stick man bends headband out) we laughed at the time, but now that the sheet is gone, folks really do skip this step unfortunately. Hulk that band back, it's made of metal, it won't break!

I will definitely try it now that I know even Grado approves of bending it a little. I was worried about trying it in terms of losing the factory set pressure and changing the sound.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #36 of 109
At first, my grados hurt after about 1 hour of listening. Now, I can do about 3 hours before I need a break (more from fatigue than pain)

I hate ear-buds. The always tug on your ears, and then don't stay in at all.

Then again, I'm not particularly sensitive. I've one of those roadies who doesn't mind the super-skinny plank saddles.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #37 of 109
The AD2000's were extremely uncomfortable when I got them. They hurt as soon as you put them on, too much clamping force. I'm stretching them out though and they're getting better. Still the least comfortable headphone I own.

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #40 of 109
A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I bought a pair of kenwood headphones that had cushy pads that were for some odd reason, recesed so that the drivers pressed against your ears. They were the most unfomforable headphones I have ever worn. Period.

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #42 of 109
Most painful is my only experience with Grado, the SR225 with bowls. Quite uncomfortable until I bent back the headband. Now, no pain, even after 5+ hours. Extremely loose fit. I would've suffered the pain if I couldn't have done anything about it, though. I really like the sound and am a bit of a masochist-wannabe.

Edited to add reply to Oman: Well, some of us realized that we could bend the headband back. Doesn't take much thought to figure that out.

Unless you are talking about pain from the sound, then, ok.

Yes, I am being overly-defensive of the cans. Oh well, I am fine with an obvious character defect - mixing my ego with cheaply-made, tinny-ass cans (that I really like). Don't expect a response to your response; I will be too cowardly to read it. If I make flame-y statements, I never look at the thread again, and I usually "ignore" the person I flamed. Wonder if I'll be banned soon, heh.

I have nothing.

Jan 24, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #44 of 109
For me it would have to be clips ons like the KSC75 since I wear glasses.

Sure they sound great, but my ears get sore from wearing them. No more than an hour and I am in physical pain.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back