Which Amp? RudiStor NX03, CIAudio HPA2, WooAudio 6, Musical Fidelity M1 HPA or other?
Jun 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #16 of 34
If that M1 HPA can drive the HE-5LE well and 'phones like the HD800 and make the LCD-2 sing I'm really interested. Provided it has better transparency and resolution than the GLite. Which is stellar to begin with.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #17 of 34
I owned and used the Channel Islands HPA 1 (the version before the current version that you are looking at) including the upgraded power supply. In my view it does not have what it takes to drive most headphones to produce their most musical sounds. It is dead silent and sounded very polite with most of my phones ( Joseph Grado, Grado 60,AKG701, and Senns HD600) but did not make them kick at all. Also, when the new version came out the old amp was not upgradable which is a crock in my view. Can't comment on any of the other amps. Hope this helps a little bit.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 34
I won't be able to listen to the amps I am considering prior to purchase, so I was looking for some input.  I appreciate those that are now posting their thoughts.  I have seen some good and bad about the 160, and Channel Islands HPA2 as well as read about less than stellar build quality of some RudiStor products, but then that has been refuted.

So my decision will be based off what I am reading, both people that have heard both and all the reviews I can find.  While specs do play some importance in the equation, they are a small part only used as a tie breaker.

So, now my focus has shifted to RudiStor.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #19 of 34
I've seen a lot of amp discussion here, but not a lot commenting on synergy with the T1, which is probably the most important aspect. I wouldn't jump on anything yet until you have heard some clear and credible perspectives on how the various amps will match up with your headphones.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #20 of 34
Yes, the sensible thing would be to wait for many opinions on what to pair the T1 with, but I think part of the fun is finding what I think will be the best.  Plus, I do have a friend that has a NX-02 with the T1 and he says they are awesome together.

Here is my current, ever changing list:
RudiStor NX-03
Headamp GS-1

and maybe take a chance on the M1

I am also looking at a few other amps, but don't want to confuse this thread with those at this time.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #21 of 34
joe trust your own ears, you might get a lot of biased opinions.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
Joe ... while it could be the same exact friend we have , a Canadian, I also have a friend with an NX-02 and T1 combo ... and he is VERY happy with it.

Got a bit of a laugh out of this thread as the "friends" that both you guys have been refering to are indeed the same person...Me :)

First, downsize, no I still have no plans to sell you back the NX-02, sorry :wink:

And remember Joe that I did qualify my statement, when I compared the NX-02 with the super expensive one, by pointing out that I really haven't heard many amps.  Particularly of the home/desktop variety, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

And the $23,000 price category isn't a category.  I merely stated the obscenely high price of a particular amp that I heard at a meet.  And what I said was that the Rudistor was much closer to the sound of the uber expensive amp than it had any right to be considering the $22,000 or so price discrepancy!  Of the amps I have heard though, that one was the best! 

Yes, I am very happy with the NX-02 and T1 and am also very happy with the NX-02 & Denon D-7000 combo as well.  I'm less happy with the NX-02 and HD800 pairing.  I know the HD800s are supposed to sound analytical but they just seem as though that's taken to an extreme  when fed from the NX-02.  Anyway a bit off topic there but, especially for the price I paid, (thanks again downsize!), I would have no trouble recommending the NX-02 & T1 combo.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #25 of 34
I was wondering if you would ever see this, and if you would respond.  I was kinda thinking you would if you saw it.  I just thought your comment about the $23K amp was kinda funny, and probably should have quantified it, but hey.  Now, if I could find the deal you got on the NX-02, that would be awesome.  I am happy with the T1 from the HUD-MX1, as it sounds great, but I think something else would push them much better.  I guess I am willing to spend to find out.

And I was wondering how many people had friends that had the NX-02 and T1, so I kinda figured it was you, but time didn't permit me to ask all my questions, just a quick hit now and again.

So, do any of your amps work well with both the T1 and HD800? 

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #26 of 34
I only have the Rudi for a desk/home setup.  Other than that they're all portables and it's not really a fair fight.  So no, I don't have anything that works well with both.

And you must have known that I would respond.  You know I can't keep my big yap shut!  And I guess I could have quantified it but I don't do anything that would require even a modicum of precision without having the units right in front of me to listen to.  And it's going to be a long, loooonnggg, time before I have anything like a $23k amp!

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #27 of 34

Quote:
I only have the Rudi for a desk/home setup.  Other than that they're all portables and it's not really a fair fight.  So no, I don't have anything that works well with both.

And you must have known that I would respond.  You know I can't keep my big yap shut!  And I guess I could have quantified it but I don't do anything that would require even a modicum of precision without having the units right in front of me to listen to.  And it's going to be a long, loooonnggg, time before I have anything like a $23k amp!

Well .... when you DO eventually get that $23k amplifier, I want MY Rudistor back !   LOL

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #29 of 34
I had a Rudistor NX-02 and it made my Denon AH-D5000, Ultrasone PROline 2500 and HFI-780 sound very good. I have tested and used the CI VHP2 with the VAC-1 PSU and it is a very nice sounding amp that goes well with a lot of different cans, they are small and well made. I have not listened to the RPX-33 but would love to, maybe in the future. :wink:

If you are in the USA going with the CI would help should you ever need to have it repaired, by contrast if you are in the EU the opposite applies. Good luck.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #30 of 34
A lot of people have said that the T1 excel with tubes. I was able to confirm in Canjam that it is correct. I run mine with a Rudistor RP010B MkII, RSA Apache, GS-1 and Violectric V200. I took them to CanJam with me and listen to the Woo amps. I have never hear my T1 sounding better that with the WA5-LE to the point that I am selling my Apache and ordering one.

Aonge the level of price you are looking at I would go with the Woo Audio 6 as my first choice and the Violectric V200 as my second choice. As you can see I own the GS-1 and the V200. To my taste I prefer the V200. The GS-1 is almost on it's way to a new owner. If you like neutrality the GS-1 could be a good choice but if you like a more euphonic sound then then the V200 is better IMO.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back