Which amp for hd580s+audigy2?
Mar 23, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 45
Yeah I have one of these mysterious amps with an Audigy, but I'm not overwhelmed by the sound. An AV710's in the mail, so I have high hopes!

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 45
Be sure to use at least the 1.43d drivers with the AV-710, and use the rear stereo channels with high-sample rate mode enabled. I found that gave me the best sound when I used mine.

I have a PIMETA with OPA627 opamps and love it with my HD600s. Not sure I would love it nearly as much if it had AD8620/8610 opamps, though. What is yours using?

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by lynch03
Which amp would you recommend for around $250(or less : )

Get an rme digi96/8 pad instead. It will sound better unamped than an audigy2 plus (nearly) any amp.

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 45
I built my PIMETA with AD8620/8610s... I know there's been a lot of threads on this topic, but what did you feel were the differences between the ADs and the OPA627s? If I'm not satisfied with the AV710 sound, I might roll the op-amps...

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 45
I'm just curious why nobody recommends the Total Airhead.

I'm looking at getting the Total Bithead.

I'm wondering why the Headroom Airheads or similar are rarely recommended when this kind of questions are asked. Many people seem to think that they are very good (I don't think I've seen any criticism of the latest 2004 TAH).

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Distroyed
Get an rme digi96/8 pad instead. It will sound better unamped than an audigy2 plus (nearly) any amp.

In all your great wisdom, you recommend, not an amp, but a more expensive sound card?

Get an amp first. It will serve you well and will be sufficient for now. Audigy 2 is not the way to go though, from my experience, it is just too flat and muddled.

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by CamelBackCinema
In all your great wisdom, you recommend, not an amp, but a more expensive sound card?

Get an amp first. It will serve you well and will be sufficient for now. Audigy 2 is not the way to go though, from my experience, it is just too flat and muddled.

Have you heard the RME yet? Yes it improves a lot with a good amp, but a cheap amp, Headroom Little IME, is a waste of money with the RME. It's not like the consumer cards that can't drive anything without amplification. So if RME alone sounds better than RME + Little, it seems resonable to me that that the RME would easily beat a lesser card +Little.

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by mulveling
Have you heard the RME yet? Yes it improves a lot with a good amp, but a cheap amp, Headroom Little IME, is a waste of money with the RME. It's not like the consumer cards that can't drive anything without amplification. So if RME alone sounds better than RME + Little, it seems resonable to me that that the RME would easily beat a lesser card +Little.

First off, in my lengthy post, I tried to help the original poster by giving him suggestions to what he is asking! Which is "HD 580/ Audigy 2." I am not here to tell him his sound card sucks or get better headphones/amps etc. His budget is 250 dollars. RME is 300-400 dollars. In your post, your arguments are very specific and quite frankly is a manifestation of your own opinion. That's kool but you use the Headroom little as your anecdote. That's not kool.

RME alone sounds better than RME + Little... well I hope to god then that he doesn't buy a Little and rather something "better" (not more expensive) like Perreaux, Gilmore, PiMeta, PPA, etc.

Yes I have heard the RME and after a week's use, I think I am going to keep it. Excuse my lack of profile updates. RME is a great leap from my Audigy 2.

You seem to base a lot of your decision on price because I can't imagine how your argument could stand. You only talk about the Litte, don't offer up any other suggestions, and quite frankly probably don't know what an amp does literally. (It offers amplification.. The Little offers amplification... How does an amp make a source sound worse?)

mad.gif
mad.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 45
I'm wondering why the Headroom Airheads or similar are rarely recommended when this kind of questions are asked. Many people seem to think that they are very good (I don't think I've seen any criticism of the latest 2004 TAH). [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm with ERL. I'm thinking about getting a Total Airhead for my office setup, which I will also be able to use on the road. In the office I will have a Sony DVP-S7700 (at least to start), and I'm getting either Sennheiser HD600 or SD650.

Any comments?

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by CamelBackCinema
First off, in my lengthy post, I tried to help the original poster by giving him suggestions to what he is asking! Which is "HD 580/ Audigy 2." I am not here to tell him his sound card sucks or get better headphones/amps etc.

I don't see this brilliantly lengthy post of yours. All I saw was an abrasive reply to Distroyed followed by a recommendation for no amp in particular, followed by you saying the Audigy2 is muddled and is "not the way to go". Is that not the same as saying his sound card sucks?
Quote:

His budget is 250 dollars. RME is 300-400 dollars.

It costs < $250 used. Some members even got it new for about $250.
Quote:

In your post, your arguments are very specific and quite frankly is a manifestation of your own opinion.

Of course it's my own bloody opinion! Are you saying that your arguments are a manifestation of someone else's opinion? Whose opinions are you pushing?
Quote:

You seem to base a lot of your decision on price because I can't imagine how your argument could stand. You only talk about the Litte, don't offer up any other suggestions, and quite frankly probably don't know what an amp does literally. (It offers amplification.. The Little offers amplification... How does an amp make a source sound worse?)

If the RME's output stage does a better job driving headphones than a particular amp then it will sound better without that amp.
The RME was offered as an alternative solution. I seconded, based on my experiences with the HD580/600/650, RME, TBSC, Revo, Little, TAH, Perreaux, and Gilmore (yes the better amps improve the RME's sound). The thread starter can take it or leave it. No need for you to get so upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back