Which amp for hd580s+audigy2?
Mar 24, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #16 of 45
I agree with Distroyed and mulveling here. The RME powers headphones quite nicely directly, actually. I feel that the RME powers the Beyer 250-250 phone as cleanly as my META amp before I gave it away.

The RME offers a great upgrade path. You could modify it, as some have done, if you have the skills. You could add a high quality amp, of course. If you end up disliking the RME sound signature completely, you could add an external DAC. The card makes a nice transport. Linking an Audigy to an RME with a digital connection is a quick and easy solution for running multimedia apps and games that use directsound.

I would say that the RME has a good price/performance ratio with many options available. It's at least something worth mentioning here. You get better sound quality, plus decent amplification for a price that is not much greater than the budget.

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #17 of 45
I mainly play games on my pc thats why i have an audigy2. I use to use my klipsch headphone jack with the hd580s but something happened to it and the right channel volume is WAY lower than the left. This doesnt happen when its in my soundcard but the vlume is just to low.

Eventually im going to get a yamaha rx-v1400 receiver for my tv and ill use my headphones with that once in a while.

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by CingKrab
I built my PIMETA with AD8620/8610s... I know there's been a lot of threads on this topic, but what did you feel were the differences between the ADs and the OPA627s? If I'm not satisfied with the AV710 sound, I might roll the op-amps...

The OPA627 is much more spacious and more detailed. It is not as fast as the AD8620, but is not slow in sound either. It is a little on the dark side, but not nearly as much as chips like the OPA2132. For my HD600s I like the OPA627 much better than the AD8620 since it mates so well with the qualities of the HD600. The AD8620 is a more general purpose opamp, it sounds nice with a lot of headphones.

Mar 24, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #19 of 45
Wow, what a stupid argument this thread has turned in to. Camel, seriously, the a question can be answered by using radical suggestions whose origins lie outside the original context of the question. This is the nature of "progressive" thought, is it not? I was merely trying to save lynch (David?) from making a purchase that, for the same amount of money, could be much better spent (in terms of sound and impedance, as the rme has more output power than the audigy). Lynch; email jdsound.com and ask for $250 for the RME, they'll probably give it to you for that price.

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
The OPA627 is much more spacious and more detailed. It is not as fast as the AD8620, but is not slow in sound either. It is a little on the dark side, but not nearly as much as chips like the OPA2132. For my HD600s I like the OPA627 much better than the AD8620 since it mates so well with the qualities of the HD600.

I disagree... thought it sounded 'dead' with HD600s (maxed-out Meta42). It's more spacious, but I don't agree about it being more detailed. The AD8620 is my favorite op-amp with HD580/600, and the idea that this op-amp is lacking in detail is imo laughable... if anything it's hyper-detailed.

Mar 25, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by lynch03
How do games sound on the rme soundcard?

Unplayable. The RME neither supports directsound nor EAX, so you'd want to keep the audigy for games. I loop my audigy2 through my rme digitally, so I get the best of both worlds (and all through the same output/headphone).

Mar 25, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #25 of 45
Pimeta vs gilmore lite ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #26 of 45
I'm going to add a vote for the Pimeta. Both JMT and ITZBITZ can throw one together for under 200. I'd also recommend the OPA627/637 combo although they are more expensive they are less harsh on the ears. They also suck your batteries dry faster so if you going to be using the amp portably it may be a concern. Nichicon Muse caps also add some "softness".

BTW: (off topic sorry!) is your nic lynch referring to the director David Lynch (Mulholland drive, Eraserhead)?

Mar 26, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #28 of 45
K so pimeta>gilmore lite?

Can that pimeta with the OPA627/637 combo be plugged into an outlet also? Where can i get one?

What other things(adapters/wires) do i need to hook this up to my soundcard?

Is there some kind of Y cable i can get so i can have my klipsch speakers and headphone+amp plugged into the soundcard at the same time?

Thanks for all the help so far
cool.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by lynch03
K so pimeta>gilmore lite?

Can that pimeta with the OPA627/637 combo be plugged into an outlet also? Where can i get one?

What other things(adapters/wires) do i need to hook this up to my soundcard?

Is there some kind of Y cable i can get so i can have my klipsch speakers and headphone+amp plugged into the soundcard at the same time?

Thanks for all the help so far
cool.gif

some builders can do the OPA627/OPA637 at request but those chips are much more costly then the AD8620s

You need a interconnect to run from Amp to sound card

You can get a Solid Y splitter, dont get the ones with wire, solid is good. Check radioshack for their gold plated one.

btw check out misterx =) hes a veteran and has great pricing, and easy to work with.
he also mods audigy 2's with better opamps =)

Mar 27, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #30 of 45
How much do the different versions of the pimeta cost(OPA627/OPA637)?

Anyways...i think i might put my limit to 'AROUND' $300...id rather buy soemthing and be happy with it for a few years than by soemthing and upgrade in less than a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back