Which amp for hd580s+audigy2?
Mar 28, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #32 of 45
So you guys still say pimeta, even though i raised my $$ limit from $200 to $300?

Just want to be sure.

I hate it when i go and buy something expensive and than find out theres something WAAAY better within the price range
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, when i get my yamaha HT receiever, will i be able to hook the amp up to the headphone input?

Mar 29, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #33 of 45
Someone asked about the Total Airhead for the HD's. The reason that most people don't recommend it is because it doesn't do such a great job of powering them. I don't know if the latest one is any better but the previous generation is a bit weak for my 580's. I know that there is a few people here that disagree with me on that, so take it for what it's worth. If you're looking for an inexpensive way to power HD's with ease and you don't need to be portable, look no further than a vintage Marantz receiver or amp. Nothing will touch it for $250. Do a search in this forum and you'll find a ton of info on the subject. Good luck!!

Mar 29, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #36 of 45
i have experience with both a marantz 2226b and a Pimeta

let's put it this way...

a marantz is a McDonald's hamburger

a Pimeta is 1/2 pound delight with bacon

the marantz is tasty when you're really hungry, or uh, well when you don't have a 1/2 pound hamburger lyin around

Mar 29, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #39 of 45
I had a similar source & cans for a short time with the META42, except mine was the HD600. I feel that for your budget the pimeta (the better brother of the META42) is a nice pair for your current setup.

PM one of the DYIers here (Voodoochile, JMT, Tigger to name a few) and tell them your budget & set-up and they will recommend the best possible config for the pimeta for you. Or you could look for a good deal in our for sale forums.

Of course if you do upgrade your source later, a better amp is needed. But for your set-up now, & considering your budget, the pimeta is a strong suggestion.

EDIT: BTW i have never heared the gilmore.

Mar 29, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
i have experience with both a marantz 2226b and a Pimeta

let's put it this way...

a marantz is a McDonald's hamburger

a Pimeta is 1/2 pound delight with bacon

the marantz is tasty when you're really hungry, or uh, well when you don't have a 1/2 pound hamburger lyin around

If I'm not mistaken, the 2226 is a mosfet amp. I'm not sure it's fair to compare that model. Have you tried a 1060/1070 or a 2220, 2235?

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
I feel that for your budget the pimeta (the better brother of the META42) is a nice pair for your current setup.

Of course if you do upgrade your source later, a better amp is needed. But for your set-up now, & considering your budget, the pimeta is a strong suggestion.

EDIT: BTW i have never heared the gilmore.

I see what you mean. It's just that if a ppa is only about 50 bucks more and if it really is a step up from the pimeta i could get that and just keep it over the years.

So far im leaning toward Pimeta cuz i dont know much about the PPA.

Mar 29, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #42 of 45
PPA's are good if your going to be getting some really nice cans and dishing out for a decent power supply, otherwise a pimeta is a good choice for most cans and works great with a elpac 24v.

Mar 30, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #43 of 45
Well my headphone jack on my klipsch seems to work again now, dont know what was wrong with it before. Will an amp make a noticeable difference?

Also, i've been hearing that the DT770's are better than the hd580's for games, is that true even if the hd580s are being amped?

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by lynch03
Went with the PPA
smily_headphones1.gif
Damn limit went from 150 to 250 than i bought this
smily_headphones1.gif
~

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Congrats on your new amp. Please post your impressions when you have spent some time with your new set-up
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back