Which amp for ER-4S/HD600 – Corda, Earmax or MG Head?
May 15, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 49
Eric,

...are there really some HD 700 on the way – or is that a joke?

Well, my preference now is clearly for the Etymotics, but I'm willing to leave the possibility open that the HD 600 could improve a lot with an according high-end amp.

JaZZ

May 15, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 49
Hey Jazz, what's wrong with the amps you already have? If you're most concerned with getting the best sound with the Etys, they are far less picky than the HD-600s and will sound less different over a broader range of amps. If you're interested in the crossfeed feature on the Corda, I can understand better.

Since I use the Etys more than the Senns now, I don't care as much about bass issues with the Senns-Corda combo.

If you're concerned about maximizing the HD-600s (or HD-700s when they come out), then maybe you want to look higher up the amp spectrum at amps that can deal a little better with the mid-bass impedance problems of the Senns.

May 15, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 49
The problem with the EarMax Pro is that people have had varying results trying to drive Etys with it. Do a search, and you'll find varying opinions.

If you'd like a good tube amp for both the Etys and the Senns, the MG Head is probably a better choice. But be forewarned that the MG Head has a bit less detail than the Corda. The tone, especially with the Etys, is unbeatable though.

May 15, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #19 of 49
Jazz: Yes, I'm serious. Jan Meier has a post on HeadWize where he describes his visit to the Sennheiser factory, and confirms that the HD700s (or 610 or whatever they'll be called) do infact exist, and will be released in the future.

As for the amp, go with the MG Head and get a Sylvania Blackplate 3mica 5751 tube for it. It's really an amazing little amp, one that scores waay better on the price/performance scale than a LOT of other amps that are a lot more expensive (diminishing returns and all that)

May 15, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 49
I agree with Eric on this! I heard my MG Head with a Sylvania tube (w/JJ EL84's) a couple days ago and maaaan, nice! This was with Senn 600's of course. Not sure how the Ety's pair with the Head.

May 15, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 49
Ben,

...the amp(s) I have is the X-Cans – and this masterpiece (?) is judged from people here as not to be an adequate partner for high-end cans. Finally now I have ordered the Corda, for my Etys and for the Crossfeed a little bit – and its sound is promised to be accurate and uncoloured – which would underline the Etys' strengths.
Concerning the HD 600: I have it, and I like it, partially, and don't want just to store it in the closet. Besides I recognize some potential in it. I imagine that a kind of refinement would do good, even if I'm not sure if the thing tube amps do with the sound is inevitably a coloration and therefore beyond the truth (a great word!).

MirandaX,

...your assessment makes me doubt anew – MG Head vs. Earmax... Fortunately I have enough time for my decision, which I can spend with my soon arriving Corda...

eric343 and jerikl,

...I know about the great reputation of the Sylvania 3mica in the MG Head (from Nick D.). How much does the tube cost (is it a «stereo» tube, so just one needed?). It could be that here in Europe the price difference between the upgraded MG Head and the Earmax is not very important... Does that change a bit on the recommendations?

JaZZ
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #22 of 49
So you actually own the 4P?

I think it's just your Fixup cable that is 57 ohm--and the 4P itself is 50 ohm, and adds up to 107 ohm?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 16, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #23 of 49
Hi Joe

I own the ER-4S – and have ordered a Fixup replacement cable with 50 ohms resistors (in the plug) instead of the stock 100 ohms. The system itself has only 5 ohms (! – think about the lost efficiency!), to which adds the cable impedance of 2 ohms. The ER-4P have some 20 ohms resistors in the cable and therefore get to 27 ohms totally.

JaZZ

May 16, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #24 of 49
Jazz: The Sylvie usually goes for $40-50 a tube on eBay (yes, it's stereo, only one needed), but there aren't any there at the moment. You most unfortunately missed the Great eBay Tube Sale (about 10 sylvanias in 2 weeks), however I will be putting together an MG Head Tube Upgrade for sale sometime soon, if I can get some EL84s and/or more 12ax7/5751/7025 tubes. As of now the Upgrade consists of a Sylvie and an Amperex 7025, which I picked because not only are they great tubes, but the Sylvie is waaaay more forward than the Amperex, so some people might like either one more.

May 16, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #25 of 49
You have to remember that you need a power cord for the Corda. I would recommend looking through the Cables forum for inexpensive power cords if you believe that power cables make a difference, or making one yourself.

May 16, 2002 at 11:28 AM Post #26 of 49
The best tube I've heard in the Head is 5751 Siemens Germany (branded as Philips) NOS 1960's. Although, it's compared only to an RCA Command (black plate 50's) a Mullard CV-4004 (12AX7a Box plate) Tung Sol (JTL 5751 WA square getter halo) Sovtek (labeled as Groove Tube) and the stock JJ 12AX7.

But, for the money, this amp is sweeet with the senns no matter what tubes you've rolled in. (I've been thinking about a pair of Etys,too)

BTW the Siemens runs around $100.
eek.gif

May 19, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #27 of 49
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JaZZ
Should I also take Headroom's Home (or Supreme/Cosmic) into consideration?

well, i've been using the cosmic with the er4s, and if something better exists, i'd be shocked. especially if portability is a priority. sure, the combo ran me a grand, not including interconnects etc, but man this is heaven.

May 19, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #28 of 49
The Supreme is a GREAT amp, that's for sure. I'm not sure about the Cosmic as I've never heard it, but I'm sure it's really close to the Supreme.

May 19, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #29 of 49
Hi!

Concerning HeadRoom: Supreme + Cosmic – aren't they outperformed by the in-house static models in the same price range? Is there really a «HeadRoom sound», I mean: a slight treble roll-off? How would (thus) the HeadRoom amps harmonize with ER4-S and HD 600?

A read a review in which the Creek OBH-11 was judged to have a much more extended bass response than the MG Head. Does the latter really drop off in the bass? What's with the Earmax in this matter?

Thanks!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

May 19, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #30 of 49
JaZZ,

you need to sit down with your 'phones and decide where you want to go in terms of tone. all headphone amps have a different tone: some are brighter and some darker, etc.

buying a bright sounding amp when you want a warmer sound will make you very unhappy.

solid state amps are bassier/darker. in my experience, low-end tube amps sound bright and thin. these are not for me. yes, the creek has much better bass than the mg head (DT version -- don't know about the OTL).

but you need to understand that people who find the HD600 to have 'bloated' bass will disagree, saying that the HD600 and mg head make a perfect combo . . .

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back