Which amp for ER-4S/HD600 – Corda, Earmax or MG Head?
May 19, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

«...low-end tube amps sound bright and thin.»

That's the case with my X-Cans...

Quote:

«...the creek has much better bass than the mg head... but you need to understand that people who find the HD600 to have 'bloated' bass will disagree, saying that the HD600 and mg head make a perfect combo ...»

I wouldn't want to renounce a substantial bass reproduction, particularly as I don't judge the HD 600 to be too bassy. Deep bass response even could be a bit more pronounced, to my ears. So maybe the MG Head isn't the right partner for my demands, although I appreciate the delicacy of tube-typic treble characteristics (as shown by the X-Cans in comparison to direct connection with the DAC's line out). Btw: What about the Earmax in this matter?

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

May 20, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #32 of 49
Arnett is right about the bass of the MG Head's transformer output when paired with the HD600. However, the OTL output of the newer MG Head OTL has a very substantial amount of bass. (The MG Head OTL gives you the option of choosing either transformer or OTL mode.) Even with the extra bass, I don't use the OTL mode because I feel that it makes compromises on the overall tonal balance. I'm might be in the minority; there are a lot of fans of the OTL mode on this board, particularly among people who've upgraded the middle tube to a 5751.

This isn't an issue with the Etymotics. Both the transformer and OTL outputs have very deep and powerful bass extension with the Etys. Personally, I listen with transformer mode with the Ety 4S.

While the HD600/transformer output combo might be light on the bass, there's no way the MG Head could be called "thin". "Lush" is a much better term, at least compared with the solid state/hybrid amps I've heard.

The Earmax Pro is said to have excellent bass, but I haven't heard it.

May 20, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #33 of 49
The main bass problems with the Senns are in the 100hz region -- you need a seriously powerful amp to balance the sound, unless you like over emphasized mid-bass. The X-Can and Corda won't completely deal with this problem (I've owned both)

The lowest octave(below 40hz) is also loose in comparison to the Etymotics and V6/7506.

May 20, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #35 of 49
Arnett, i was only talking from a measurement stand point -- the large impedance jump at 100hz requires some serious voltage in order for the bass to be more balanced relative to many other cans.

May 20, 2002 at 11:32 AM Post #37 of 49
Nick...

Quote:

«You can accomplish nearly anything you want by experimenting with a few different tubes.»

...does this also apply to the deep bass reproduction? How, e.g., does the Sylvania Blackplate 3mica 5751 reproduce the mid and deep bass range with HD 600?

It's just the HD 600 which are an issue in Bass reproduction; the ER-4S are wonderful even with the X-Cans.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

May 20, 2002 at 2:04 PM Post #38 of 49
I used the Clou Blue in conjunction with the MG Head OTL and Sylvania 5751. If that combo doesn't deliver enough bass for you, you'll probably need a subwoofer. I haven't heard the Earmax Pro, but some people think it has the deepest bass of any tube amp for the HD600.

If you're a bass freak, you need the Clou Blue.

May 20, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #39 of 49
I have an Earmax Pro and I highly recommend you pick one up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Paired with a Senn HD580 it was heaven (no veil, beautiful deep bass, great soundstage)
With Ety 4p it was heavenly (again, great bass, great musicality, not as sterile as with solid state)
With Grado RS-1 it is unreal (easily my favorite setup)

I have not tried my EMP with the fixup adaptor, although I have heard from some people that the EMP does not like the ety4s (although at least one person has reported good results). I suppose I should experiment myself...

Again, I highly recommend you get one. I also own a Headroom Cosmic, and the EMP is way, way better IMO.

May 20, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #40 of 49
Nick...

...no, I'm not a bass freak at all! (Although I've been a bass guitarist in the past...) The bass of the ER-4 sounds magnigicent to me, and the HD 600 doesn't suffer from a lack of bass, too – it's the deep bass extension that I miss a bit, especially in comparison to the Etys and, driven by the X-Cans, to the direct connection on the DAC's line out. So I just want to be sure that there wil be no additional bass roll-off from any amp.

The «Clou blue» – would you characterize it as coloring? I know, sometimes it's hard to judge, which sound is the «neutral» one... And how/where is it available? Thanks!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

May 20, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #41 of 49
Kubernetes...

...you're the first to give me a really impressive recommendation for the Earmax Pro. I'm already about to get weak...

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

May 20, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #42 of 49
Re the Earmax Pro, HD600 & Bass Response,

I have the EMP/600 combo & the bass is *quite* good. I did roll the stock tubes on the EMP and the bass definitely improved.

Once, I may have had the volume up a tad too much while playing Holst's Planets and I could swear I felt the headphones rumbling. Sometimes it almost feels as if I can feel some subliminal bass coming down to my shoulders, but I suppose I could be imagining that from other sound cues.

Bass has a definite presence with the EMP/600's.

Btw, HEY Nick D.!

If you're planning a DFW get together, or if you just want to meet casually & try out the EMP, let me know. I've got a pretty free schedule the first 2-3 weeks in July.

Regards,
Larry in Dallas

May 20, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #43 of 49
Larry...

...which tubes did you «roll in»?

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

May 20, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #44 of 49
Not sure how colored the Clou is... it just sounds better to my ears than the stock cable (also provides additional bass extension). There are plenty of existing threads on the subject.

I'm hoping the next Dallas Head-Fi meet will be held in late June... like the weekend preceding Independence Day. Otherwise, it will be the following weekend. It will be great to have you there. Now all we need is a Sugden and MicroZOTL!

May 20, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #45 of 49
JaZZ

I replaced the 12at7 with the Sylvania Gold 6201, and the 2 6dj8's were replaced with a pair of Telefunken E88CC's (6922 equivalent).

The rolling brought about increased detail, extended the frequencies, and a wider soundstage.

I am happy, but I've been thinking of trying some other replacement tubes to see what could happen. These tubes amps should come with a $$$ warning label. I'm gonna be good & get a new source first.

Regards,
Larry in Dallas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back