Which amp for ER-4S/HD600 – Corda, Earmax or MG Head?
May 14, 2002 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
As the theme title says:

Which amp sounds better with my ER-4S and my HD600 – Jan Meier's Corda HA1, Stefan Brocksieper's Earmax or Antique Sound Lab's MG Head? Should I also take Headroom's Home (or Supreme/Cosmic) into consideration?

What are your experiences?

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

May 14, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 49
I don't know if this will be any help to you, but....

The MG Head DOES deserve all of the hype is has been getting. It's a great amp for the senns (and for the price!). Leaves me to wonder about the other ASL products, namely the Twin Head!
tongue.gif

May 14, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 49
But he's also going to use the amp with his Etys... Maybe the Corda because it works very well with both the Etys and the Senns.
I've only heard the HD600/Corda combo, but many people here have achieved great results pairing the Etys with the Corda.

May 14, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 49
The Ety-Corda combo is better imo than Senn-Corda combo. If you're looking for a more colored sound, go with the Head, if you're looking for a more accurate sound go with the Corda.

May 15, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Should I also take Headroom's Home (or Supreme/Cosmic) into consideration?

yes. if you want a slightly warmer/darker sound with your 'phones (with crossfeed engaged).

with my hd580s, i've heard:

1. x-cans v2
2. mg head
3. creek obh-11
4. jmt cha 47
5. new headroom little.

the headroom wins to my ears. but i like it rolled-off in the treble.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 49
Some people have reported better results with the Ety 4P instead of the 4S matched to tube amps. Makes sense too, because tube amps often have built in output impedance already, which together with the resistive impedance built into the 4S may be too much. The 4P OTOH may get about the right output impedance to turn it into a 4S.

Joe
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 15, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 49
Thanks so far for the helpful answers!

I think I already have made one decision: I'll take the Corda – because of its neutrality and accuracy. For my main cans – and therefore successors of my electrostatics – are the Etymotics. But maybe the HD 600 could flourish and lose its slight insipidity with a tube amp, so I still have my eye on Earmax and MG Head.

Nobody to vote for the Earmax? (...except for Anders in an earlier thread)

Joe,
my ER-4S are planned to get 57 ohms instead of 107. The replacement cord is ordered from Fixup...

JaZZ

May 15, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 49
Well, I haven't heard the Earmax (
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif
), but I'd bet a lot that it sounds even better than the MG Head, which I have enjoyed with the Senns. The great thing about the MG Head (and the Moretto, review coming) is the sound/price ratio; the Earmax is considerably more than these or the Corda.

May 15, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 49
The Corda amp seems to be a good choice, it has good reviews and you don't need to spend a lot of money.
I havn't heard the Earmax Pro and rather few have, so the chance to get a recommendation is low. But those who have baught it seem usually to regard it as very good, surpassing Headroom MOH, Corda etc.
I am considering the Earmax Pro myself but is also thinking about AKG K1000 headphone which must be driven by an power amp.
Also be aware that price relations in Europe differ from the US. So the best performance for price can be different.
Don't consider the basic Earmax, it seems to have an output that only gives moderate listening levels and works only with high impedance headphones.

May 15, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 49
Tim,

...no chance to get me to give away my Etys!
How can someone not appreciate these phantastically accurate and vivid earphones!

But I'm very eager about the soundscape of the Earmax/Sennheiser combo and actually nearly on the point of getting me the Earmax especially for the HD 600, too...

Anders,

...thank you very much for putting this wonderful idea in my head!
tongue.gif

How I hate this forum!
evil_smiley.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

May 15, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 49
Noooo... Don't sell the Etys! Sell the '600s!

The Etys are waaay more versatile, and (arguably) sound better! Also, when the hd700s come out, the resale price of the '600s will go south faster than a lead balloon... So this is definitely the time to sell.

And the Etys have the advantage that they can be driven by many, many amps, given their middle-of-the-road 100ohm impedance (IIRC) versus the 300+ohm impedance of the '600s.

And they travel waaay better; how'd you like to try and pack the '600s into a pager-sized OtterBox? (a waterproof, crushproof little thing that IMHO is the ultimate Ety case)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back