Where to buy Fostex T50RP Headphones?
Sep 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:
How exactly would a group buy work? A group of people pool money together for one thunderpants and then trade it around?

The answer's in the second paragraph of that thread. 

I contacted smeggy to see if I'd be interested in a group buy discout and the answer was yes. So the discount would be around 100$ (so they'd cost around 450) if we get 10 to 15 buyers to commit... But we'd have to pick a single wood and finition for this to be possible so you'd trade some customization off (althought they all look great IMO), that would be kind of a special edition HF if you want to see it that way.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 24
Sounds really interesting actually. 

Well my T50rps arrived today but with some disappointment.

The  connector piece from the headband to the headphone is broken. It still sort of works, but I am not sure what to do for a permanent fix...

My VERY initial impressions are that sonically, my ATH-M50s sound better overall. But that is after listening to maybe 2 songs (I am very busy for the weekend). I do feel that they do a slightly better job with vocals though. For $65, they are a pretty nice set of cans honestly. These will definitely not go un-modded. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #18 of 24
Sorry to hear it arrived in parts. Can you return it to the seller? Even if it's a restock, it should still have a warranty, no?

Alternatively, have a look at the schematic in this post. It looks like you have all the pieces there. You might be able to fix it yourself. Were the front and rear hanger holders broken or just separated?  

As for the sound, they sound better with time. And they sound great when modded. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
Sorry to hear it arrived in parts. Can you return it to the seller? Even if it's a restock, it should still have a warranty, no?

Alternatively, have a look at the schematic in this post. It looks like you have all the pieces there. You might be able to fix it yourself. Were the front and rear hanger holders broken or just separated?  

As for the sound, they sound better with time. And they sound great when modded. 

I have no idea about being able to return it or no. The hanger holder is broken. They are normally joined by plastic, but the plastic snapped at the joint. I can still kinda manage to wear them without too much problem, I just have to keep the head banging down. 

Other than that, I am going to keep burning them in the mean time.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
Sounds really interesting actually. 

Well my T50rps arrived today but with some disappointment.

The  connector piece from the headband to the headphone is broken. It still sort of works, but I am not sure what to do for a permanent fix...

My VERY initial impressions are that sonically, my ATH-M50s sound better overall. But that is after listening to maybe 2 songs (I am very busy for the weekend). I do feel that they do a slightly better job with vocals though. For $65, they are a pretty nice set of cans honestly. These will definitely not go un-modded. 

$65?  Man, I'd be lucky to get them for $100.

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

I have no idea about being able to return it or no. The hanger holder is broken. They are normally joined by plastic, but the plastic snapped at the joint. I can still kinda manage to wear them without too much problem, I just have to keep the head banging down. 

Other than that, I am going to keep burning them in the mean time.

I just ran across this old post.  

fullcompass.com sells replacement parts for T50RP. Although not currently showing any in stock, they sell the plastic hanger holder for $5.00 for the front piece and $5.00 for the rear piece. You don't have to buy both; just the piece you need. Call them to check on availability. I've bought several sets of T50RPs and replacement parts from them. They are honest and fast.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:
I am not seeing the replacement parts you are talking about. Mind sending me the link?

Thanks! I would love to get these guys back to 100% working order.

Full Compass does not currently have them listed. They have had them up on the site as recently as 2 weeks ago. I spoke with them over a year ago asking about all replacement parts, and they listed the ones I specifically asked for: tiny screws, front and rear headband hangers, drivers, and pads. 

Go to their site and type in the search box "Fostex parts" and "Fostex T50RP parts" which should pull them up if they're in stock. If not listed, call them and they can order them from Fostex.

In the mean time, IF you can perfectly align the two broken pieces you may be able to super glue them together. To work, though, the alignment must be precise.

Update: I contacted Full Compass. The Rep said he'd check with Fostex to see if they can get more replacement parts. They have the rear connector you need but the front piece seems to be no longer available. He'll let me know what he learns and I'll post it here. 

BTW, the outer plastic piece that cinches down onto the headband rails, secured by the large screw, tends to fail after multiple mods. They have that part available even though it does not show up on their web page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back