Where is the price/performance "sweet spot" in your opinion?
Nov 23, 2023 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

Thomasr

500+ Head-Fier
I've only gotten deeper into the headphone scene relatively recently, but I've seen posts where people talk about pinnacle-fi gear well under $1000 in years gone by.

It's a different world today, but the law of diminishing returns is as relevant as ever. In your opinion, where is the sweet spot right now? What are some examples of full-size headphones that you believe deliver most of the magic while still keeping costs reasonable?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 89
If we're going price/performance I'd have to say ~$500-$1000 for a headphone setup. An hd540 is quite good and significantly less money than other headphones that I enjoy similarly, but of course, you'll probably need a good amplifier with it, likely costing a bit more than the cups themselves. Of course there is better stuff out there :beyersmile:

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 89
Realistically, if youre looking for the best price to performance, then ~15-25$ iem's with a nice dongle (like meizu hifi black).
But if were talking realistic end game for not an insane price, for me, Hifiman edition xs with cayin iha6 (or even schiit jotunheim 2) and ifi zen dac would be it.
In my opinion, edition xs beats out a lot of flagships worth more then 5x its price so there is little point in spending past that unless you want the last fiew % of performance :p

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 89
3 examples from this year where I was more than satisfied with the relation quality to price afe the following:
Hifiman V1000 Stealth new for 1350.-€ --- Sound very , very close to Susvara and easier to drive!
Tago Studio new for 450.- ---- One of the most beautiful and well made headphones with very neutral sound. Beats most of my Graddos because of his structured bass.
The Composer from Austrian Audio: perfect workmanship and a clear, deep distortion free sound, other TOTLs would like to have. Price is more than fair!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 89
My understanding of diminishing returns wiped away when i first hear quality of LCD-X bass few years ago. Then i started to not to like my existing headphones and ventured into this “audiophile” rabbithole. When it comes to IEM’s best i’ve heard was IE900 on SP2000.

I never attend to CanJam. Always try gear that i own or what dealers carry in Istanbul which is very limited

But i’ll see what 2024 offers. My expectation for headgear probably $2-3K will be the breaking point.

When it comes to speakers, i’ve heard all the expensive models from kef to dynaudio to dutch&dutch and there’s simply no diminishing returns. More you pay better they sound unlike headphones it’s universally audible and everyone will think the same.

Nov 23, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 89
I never attend to CanJam
On the one hand I'd love it if CanJam came to my hometown (Toronto) so I could truly hear what pinnacle-fi gear sounds like. But on the other hand I can't imagine a busy/noisy show floor is at all conducive to a worthwhile audition.

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 89
sweet spot will depend on the user's resources. sundara/aeon flow level could be someone's sweet spot (as it was for me for many years). senn 6xx if one does not love bass. but for me, the $350-600 range for used is the sweet spot - not a whole lot of performance to be gained after that but at multiples of these prices.

and then there are those insane values like Superlux where one can get really pleasing sound for well under a hundred, or even fifty. there must be thread(s) on here about these incredible bargain models.

Nov 27, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 89
hd800s, clear OG or NDH30. Pick one that suits your taste and amp choice, and start saving for a dac. Diminishing return doesn’t start until you are $25k+

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 89
Seems i have to agree with chesebert, there is way less diminishing return than i thought a few years ago. The difference between something like an HE1000 and a Susvara is rather big. The difference between a 3k amp and a 7k amp to drive the Susvara is rather big too. The difference between the normal tubes and very expensive ones is another huge step up. At some point you most likely will just reach a point where "it's enough money spent" for you personally, but there are almost always things that bump up the experience by a considerable amount. I would say there are different sweet spots. The first at around 200-300 (Sundara, HD600, maybe even IEM's), the next at around 1k, (Arya Organic, Focal Clear, etc) and so on.
I don't agree to all that "i get 90% of the Susvara with 50% of the cost" talk. Nah, only if you severely underpower that headphone.
Even if you reach a point and are happy, there will be thoughts about the next upgrade that will improve your listening experience. I've not heard the Shangri-La Senior in my own home on a good amp with my own music, so that thing will probably always be in the back of my mind. Do i want to spent that money? No, i am very happy with my system and found "my" sweet spot (which is bonkers high, i know).
There is a reason people pay that high prices for gear, it's not minor snakeoil improvements.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 89
$620-780

Can: HD-600 ~$150
Amp/Dac Jot w/ mutibit $599 (new) or Amp XDUOO T-26 $319 (new) and Schiit mod MB $299

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 89
Sweet spot

$1500 headphones (ZMF Auteur Classic)
$2k-2500 dac/amp (Chord Hugo 2 or TT1)

Pretty much all you will need to love your music.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 89
I've only gotten deeper into the headphone scene relatively recently, but I've seen posts where people talk about pinnacle-fi gear well under $1000 in years gone by.

It's a different world today, but the law of diminishing returns is as relevant as ever. In your opinion, where is the sweet spot right now? What are some examples of full-size headphones that you believe deliver most of the magic while still keeping costs reasonable?
I am a Mid-Fi guy so I hang in the $500.00 to $1000.00US arena.
My two big amps went bigger than that, but I bought used.

Anything over $1,000.00 is going to have seriously diminishing returns. But if you have the money, why not? :grin:

$300.00 to $1,000.00 was life changing for me, audio wise. I bet $1,000 to $2,000 or $3,000 is a much smaller upgrade.

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #14 of 89
Depends a bit how well a headphone responds to EQ.
I would say something between 300-500€.

Never heard the ultra expensive headphones (2000€ and more) so I can't say how big the differences are between those but within the 1000€ price range there is not much of a day and night difference that would justify a way higher price in my opinion.

Nov 30, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 89
I like to keep my spending under $500. I have a modest set up that I enjoy. For Xmas Santa is going to bring me a pair of Grado RS2x's. That will be my most expensive purchase so far and I'm looking forward to using them. Maybe that will cause me to start upgrading my chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back