Where is the price/performance "sweet spot" in your opinion?
Jan 3, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #76 of 89
The Arya is excellent - almost everything Hifiman makes is really good. What is your current setup and what do you consider to be an upgrade?
I've got a SMSL DO200mk2 + HO200 stack to drive things, and for headphones:
  • SASH Tres for when I want musicality with an organic feel
  • Monolith M1570 for when I want more authority and slam
  • Beyerdynamic DT-880/600 for when I want sparkle and snap
  • Sennheiser HD660S for when I want vocals and forward midrange above all else
In all honesty, I'm not really sure what aspect of this I'm looking to upgrade - each of these are pretty damned good at its job as far as these ears can tell.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #77 of 89
I've got a SMSL DO200mk2 + HO200 stack to drive things, and for headphones:
  • SASH Tres for when I want musicality with an organic feel
  • Monolith M1570 for when I want more slam
  • Beyerdynamic DT-880/600 for when I want sparkle and snap
  • Sennheiser HD660S for when I want vocals and forward midrange above all else
I'm not really sure what aspect of this I'm looking to upgrade - each of these are pretty damned good at its job as far as these ears can tell.
Well, the Arya Stealth is on sale on Hifiman's website for about as cheap as it gets for a headphone that is often considered one of the best under $2k. Maybe you're looking for a good all-rounder, which I believe the Arya should be - I think you'd be pretty happy with it, but everyone's tastes are different. The HE-1000 is hugely on sale and good too - each version is a little different. the JMAudio XTC is really good for the price and I'd characterize that as one of my top all-rounders, though he's got like 15 different versions at any given time and he'll tune them to your taste, so it's hard to say for sure how good any specific one is. You can get an XTC-O for less than the Arya on sale.

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #78 of 89
the Arya Stealth is on sale on Hifiman's website for about as cheap as it gets for a headphone that is often considered one of the best under $2k ... The HE-1000 is hugely on sale and good too
Yeah there's some intriguing options on deep discount right now, including the HD800S.

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #79 of 89
Yeah there's some intriguing options on deep discount right now, including the HD800S.
Yeah, though have to really like the big-daddy Senns sound profile to get a set - I just thought they were OK, and definitely avoid the DROP version - there is a weird echoey hallway effect going on there.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #80 of 89
Q: Where is the price/performance "sweet spot" in your opinion?

A: The £180 street price of the Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 (new) as it was in the circa 2009 era where it has remained ever since in one's forum signature :)

Today I would say second hand or refurbished anything in that ball park for a full size Beyer, AKG or Senn and factor in a source/amp on top of that, keep the overall spend comfortably under 500 notes (insert currency)

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #81 of 89
Price/performance sweetspot for most people is probably somewhere around Sundara/HD600/HD650 because let's be real, nothing past that point gives you objectively the same amount of sound quality for your money spent.

But staying at the "sweetspot" for price/performance isn't really what this hobby is about, is it? :ksc75smile:

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #82 of 89
I've only gotten deeper into the headphone scene relatively recently, but I've seen posts where people talk about pinnacle-fi gear well under $1000 in years gone by.

It's a different world today, but the law of diminishing returns is as relevant as ever. In your opinion, where is the sweet spot right now? What are some examples of full-size headphones that you believe deliver most of the magic while still keeping costs reasonable?
I think for me the 400 to 1400€ is the range where i am most comfortable. I have not heard the high-end stuff (Yet because i am scared to know better and i have a lot other hobbies that allready are expensive) i just purhaced Topping a70pro + d70pro sabre stack combo and moondrop para's to be my ''Early birthday gift'' i can't wait to get them :L3000:

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #83 of 89
Price/performance sweetspot for most people is probably somewhere around Sundara/HD600/HD650 because let's be real, nothing past that point gives you objectively the same amount of sound quality for your money spent.

But staying at the "sweetspot" for price/performance isn't really what this hobby is about, is it? :ksc75smile:
Thanks for this.
This gave me an enlightening/encouraging perspective. I guess I'll just love my very fun Cascade for the foreseeable future!

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #84 of 89
The sweet spot for me is HiFiman edition XS 379 bucks new (279 refurbished) with my dac/amp setup. Edition XS has the stealth magnets of Arya and HEK but has more bass to it. The guitars sounds and feels like the’re being plucked near my ears.

Key point for all Hifiman’s headphones is never use their cables. I got their “crystal copper” and stock cables but they’re trash. I had to use my moondrop cables for it to sound great.

Jan 28, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #85 of 89
For me, “sweet spot” is as much about perceived value as it is absolute performance. I absolutely love my Diana V2 that I bought used for $1300. Would I appreciate them as much for $3000? Probably not (then again, plenty of studies have shown that wine drinkers perceive more enjoyment when they’re told wine is very expensive, even if it’s not).

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #86 of 89
Performance sweet spot is cost of audio gear = monthly paycheck / 10.
Reality cost of audio gear = all your current savings / 10 + nagging from family members.

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #87 of 89
I've only gotten deeper into the headphone scene relatively recently, but I've seen posts where people talk about pinnacle-fi gear well under $1000 in years gone by.

It's a different world today, but the law of diminishing returns is as relevant as ever. In your opinion, where is the sweet spot right now? What are some examples of full-size headphones that you believe deliver most of the magic while still keeping costs reasonable?
NDH30, easily competes with cans up to $2k (including all ZMF, all HFM, all Focal, all Audeze, all Meze that have MSRP of $2k or less).

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #88 of 89
HD600, easily. It sounds excellent and the price on them is just incredible.

I'd say a nice planar like Hifiman Edition XS also qualifies for this answer. It's a headphone that's been pretty discounted as of late and is maybe akin to a planar version of an HD-600 but being a large planar driver, brings some unique characteristics. I think an edition XS is a wonderful all-rounder. Personally, I have an HE-500 because I prefer that older (more impactful) Hifiman sound but I think the answer to this question hovers somewhere around this zone for the best bang for your buck.

Going beyond, for me, has never resulted in significant performance gains and in some ways I am now thinking this hobby is a bit snake oil considering how much sound you actually do get out of something like the HD600 or Edition XS.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #89 of 89

I can't say it often enough, the access key to the sound castle penthouse is a .....

- Sennheiser HD600
- Little Dot MKII/III
- Audio GD R1NOS R2R DAC

insane value and stunning sound for little money
:gs1000smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back