Where is the price/performance "sweet spot" in your opinion?
Nov 30, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #16 of 89
I am a Mid-Fi guy so I hang in the $500.00 to $1000.00US arena.
My two big amps went bigger than that, but I bought used.

Anything over $1,000.00 is going to have seriously diminishing returns. But if you have the money, why not? :grin:

$300.00 to $1,000.00 was life changing for me, audio wise. I bet $1,000 to $2,000 or $3,000 is a much smaller upgrade.
Yes, but 10k and over is insane.
Depends a bit how well a headphone responds to EQ.
I would say something between 300-500€.

Never heard the ultra expensive headphones (2000€ and more) so I can't say how big the differences are between those but within the 1000€ price range there is not much of a day and night difference that would justify a way higher price in my opinion.
IMO a great setup does not need to be equalized.

$2k and up range is significantly different with the right sources and amp. Most people think they will get endgame sound with a $2k headphone, running off $700 of gear, and that just isn't realistic. There is so much more to be had once you have a proper dac, source, and amp that can properly control bass response, treble, and micro dynamics. When you finally get it right it's like someone lifting a blanket off your head. And you can't go back.

It's true that some elements are overpriced but that's why you need to be careful and do your research.

Best midrange setup imo for the price is Chord TT1 or Hugo 2 and ZMF Auteur Classic.

Nov 30, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 89
Under 1000:
iBasso SR1 MOD (stock: I can't wear it. It reproduces badly on piano tones with bleeding bass).
I just love it after modding.

Or
Kaldas RR1 late serial number (treble respond better than a bit kinda roll off at earlier product).

>1000: Hd800s

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #18 of 89

$2k and up range is significantly different with the right sources and amp. Most people think they will get endgame sound with a $2k headphone, running off $700 of gear, and that just isn't realistic. There is so much more to be had once you have a proper dac, source, and amp that can properly control bass response, treble, and micro dynamics. When you finally get it right it's like someone lifting a blanket off your head. And you can't go back.

It's true that some elements are overpriced but that's why you need to be careful and do your research.

Best midrange setup imo for the price is Chord TT1 or Hugo 2 and ZMF Auteur Classic.
That is not midrange. I am in Canada and the price on a Chord Hugo 2 is $3,800.00, plus tax.
And the Auteur Classic's are $2,000.00, plus tax.
Our sales tax is 15%.

$7,000.00 for two pieces is not my idea of "mid-range" unless you are wealthy.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #19 of 89
There is so much more to be had once you have a proper dac, source, and amp that can properly control bass response, treble, and micro dynamics. When you finally get it right it's like someone lifting a blanket off your head. And you can't go back.

Maximize a stuff is the (almost) no cost solution and my sample is with e.stat tube amp. It's a device vary the sq follow temperature and usually sound good when hot and stable.
I learn to calibrate output voltage and DC offset then adjust them to less than 0.1V at hot stage. Also adjust LR balance <0.5V at max out put (about 300V AC).
It required to be patient.
Fiber legs and ruber pad to isolate vibration of internal transfomer change to higher absorbtion polilyurethane pad.
Cover sinal cable and volume control block by alu foil.

Someone lifted up a blanket off my head!

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #20 of 89
I've only gotten deeper into the headphone scene relatively recently, but I've seen posts where people talk about pinnacle-fi gear well under $1000 in years gone by.

It's a different world today, but the law of diminishing returns is as relevant as ever. In your opinion, where is the sweet spot right now? What are some examples of full-size headphones that you believe deliver most of the magic while still keeping costs reasonable?
Budget for the whole set, or "juste the headphones ? 🤔😉

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #21 of 89
That is not midrange. I am in Canada and the price on a Chord Hugo 2 is $3,800.00, plus tax.
And the Auteur Classic's are $2,000.00, plus tax.
Our sales tax is 15%.

$7,000.00 for two pieces is not anybody's idea of "mid-range" unless you are wealthy.
I should have clarified, I meant used. Hugo 2/TT1 generally go for $1500-2000. Easy to get a lightly used model in great condition for that.

Auteur Classics are normally $1400-1700 unless it's a limited stabilized release. Or go used and save a few hundred.

I can't account for sales tax and import rates around the world.

IMO

Low range would be sub $1k.

Midrange would be sub $4k.

High range would be $10k+.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #22 of 89

Isn't that just a lot of snake oil?

From what I understand the most part depends on the headphones drivers and on the bitrate from your music source.
If they are good then there is no need for amps / dacs in that price category.
I mean I never heard stuff that is that expensive but in general an amp amplifies and makes everything louder while a DAC converts the audio quality into an analog signal.
Would be interesting to know why and what exactly expensive devices are doing better/differently compared to let's say 200$ devices.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #24 of 89
Budget for the whole set, or "juste the headphones ? 🤔😉
When I asked I was thinking just the headphones, but it seems a lively discussion has emerged around all parts of the listening chain.

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #25 of 89
When I asked I was thinking just the headphones, but it seems a lively discussion has emerged around all parts of the listening chain.
Listening chain has a huge part to do with all of it. Also, the source!!!

For example here is a song that, listening to it on a low quality system doesn't do it justice. It sounds like a completely different song on a high end system. There are so many subtle reflections, spacial notions, etc that are missed.

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #26 of 89
For me, I was thinking headphones at $500.00-$1,000.00US (about $750.00 to $1,400.00 in Canuck bucks), and then per piece.

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #27 of 89
Isn't that just a lot of snake oil?

From what I understand the most part depends of the headphones drivers and on the bitrate from your music source.
If they are good then there is no need for amps / dacs in that price category.
I mean I never heard stuff that is that expensive but in general an amp amplifies and makes everything louder while a DAC converts the audio quality into an analog signal.
Would be interesting to know why and what exactly expensive devices are doing better/differently compared to let's say 200$ devices.
You'd just have to hear it for yourself. I can't explain it in text.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #28 of 89
Id go with either the edition xs by hifiman or focal elex. I managed to get an open box Arya stealth for £600 so I think that would be hard to beat for me.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #29 of 89
I were surprised by how much difference I could hear, going from the Ananda to the HE1000 Stealth, I did not expect that. However, the Arya is quite close to the HEKS, so if there where a big difference in price, I would have selected the Arya. So this is the sweetspot for me, with the gear I've heard so far. I haven't heard 3K+ sets, but I would be very surprised if I would think the sweetspot would be in that range.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #30 of 89
Something like SMSL/Topping DAC/amp combo and Sennheiser HD600/HD650. Sub $500 and fairly good SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back