Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
May 12, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #1,637 of 1,964
I had a great conversation with Roger Modjeski, the chief engineer at Music Reference today. He is renowned for his relatively high power stereo (speaker) tube amps, which he builds to last forever at reasonable prices. I have been thinking about buying one of his amps for my speaker rig because of his reputation for excellent build and sound quality. He has very few naysayers in audio and he doesn't build headphone amps.

In any case, when I told him about my headphone hobby and the trials and tribulations experienced by owners of Singlepower headphone amps, he sympathized and mentioned that if I ever ran into any problems with my Singlepower Extreme he would be happy to repair it at a reasonable price. (As I said, Music Reference is known in the stereo world for delivering excellent sounding, reliable amps at reasonable costs. And Roger is a bit of a legend in the design field. Check out the Music Reference forum on audiocirlce and the Music Reference site and you will be left with a good impression.)

He said he does not want to be flooded with requests from disgruntled owners of Singlepower amps needing repairs, as that is not his main line of work. However, he should be someone to keep in mind if you own a Singlepower MPX, PPX, or Extreme and it goes on the fritz. (Of course, if your amp is one of Mikhail's rat's nest specials, I am not sure anyone -- even Roger -- can help.)

May 12, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #1,638 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a great conversation with Roger Modjeski, the chief engineer at Music Reference today. He is renowned for his relatively high power stereo (speaker) tube amps, which he builds to last forever at reasonable prices. I have been thinking about buying one of his amps for my speaker rig because of his reputation for excellent build and sound quality. He has very few naysayers in audio and he doesn't build headphone amps.

In any case, when I told him about my headphone hobby and the trials and tribulations experienced by owners of Singlepower headphone amps, he sympathized and mentioned that if I ever ran into any problems with my Singlepower Extreme he would be happy to repair it at a reasonable price. (As I said, Music Reference is known in the stereo world for delivering excellent sounding, reliable amps at reasonable costs. And Roger is a bit of a legend in the design field. Check out the Music Reference forum on audiocirlce and the Music Reference site and you will be left with a good impression.)

He said he does not want to be flooded with requests from disgruntled owners of Singlepower amps needing repairs, as that is not his main line of work. However, he should be someone to keep in mind if you own a Singlepower MPX, PPX, or Extreme and it goes on the fritz. (Of course, if your amp is one of Mikhail's rat's nest specials, I am not sure anyone -- even Roger -- can help.)

I also know a guy at audioexchangeinc.com who did a repair work on my SP SDS and a friend Supra SDS successfully as well.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #1,639 of 1,964
First off, I havnt read much of this thread. But I had my Singlepower ordeal.
About a year ago I bought one of his amps and had about 2000.00 sent to him. There was a small mod from stock, but he said he had a couple done and one would go out in a couple days. Well nothing. Called several times and heard everything from going to a meet and selling out, to moving his shop, etc,etc. Even went so far as to say it was done and benchtesting. Would go out tomorrow or the next day and then nothing. Then would not even answer my calls or emails. After about 10 exchanges like that over 2 months I ran up to the 60 days to file a complaint with the credit card company. I did on the 60th day.
The bank said it would take up to 4 months before he had to return the money and they would investigate the claim. At exactly 4 months my money was returned. I won.
But I hope this sends a message to all members, who at the time was telling people he was a little slow but dont worry , you will get it. It probably made people go over the claims period. I hope this sends a warning that when someone is showing signs of instability, SEND WARNINGS!!! Not reassurances.
I am glad I did not listen. Sorry for the people who did.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #1,640 of 1,964
I may be wrong, but it seems like he goes out of his way to grieve people as much as possible. He should've known it was inevitable he'd have to give it back, why did he have to choose to give it back at the very end of the 4 months? I know it's wrong, but because all the complaints about Mikhail have some twist like this I've had the urge to LOL in real life at how it appears Mikhail does everything in order to grieve the most people and to the greatest degree. I think my theory that he's been sniffing too much lead solder should be investigated.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #1,641 of 1,964
just thought i would say that it is very sad that singlepower had to turn out this way. after canjam, looking at singlepower's work displayed, the stuff is very very nicely built and wouldve easily continued on as a strong business. just so disappointing that it had to end up like this.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #1,642 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just thought i would say that it is very sad that singlepower had to turn out this way. after canjam, looking at singlepower's work displayed, the stuff is very very nicely built and wouldve easily continued on as a strong business. just so disappointing that it had to end up like this.

Was Mikhail at Canjam? I'm hoping you're just saying that some SinglePower amps were there.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #1,646 of 1,964
I've heard such great things from the amps built by SinglePower, but it's quite a shame to hear so much bad things about the services and Mikhail. I don't entirely know the situation, but hopefully things will turn out well for those who have spent money on them.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #1,647 of 1,964
I think everybody should send him a message through his ebay (supra_buyer) adds. Thats how i at least got a response. i just sent him a message through every tube add he had.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #1,648 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by echo123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, I havnt read much of this thread. But I had my Singlepower ordeal.
About a year ago I bought one of his amps and had about 2000.00 sent to him. There was a small mod from stock, but he said he had a couple done and one would go out in a couple days. Well nothing. Called several times and heard everything from going to a meet and selling out, to moving his shop, etc,etc. Even went so far as to say it was done and benchtesting. Would go out tomorrow or the next day and then nothing. Then would not even answer my calls or emails. After about 10 exchanges like that over 2 months I ran up to the 60 days to file a complaint with the credit card company. I did on the 60th day.
The bank said it would take up to 4 months before he had to return the money and they would investigate the claim. At exactly 4 months my money was returned. I won.
But I hope this sends a message to all members, who at the time was telling people he was a little slow but dont worry , you will get it. It probably made people go over the claims period. I hope this sends a warning that when someone is showing signs of instability, SEND WARNINGS!!! Not reassurances.
I am glad I did not listen. Sorry for the people who did.

I'm glad you were able to get your money. I would urge all head-fi members to use their credit cards for purchases from small suppliers rather than Paypal even if you pay a little more for the privilege. I've worked in the credit card industry for many years. In order to for a supplier to accept visa/mastercard they have to agree to abide by the governing rules. These rules may vary from country to country. In the U.S. if a consumer disputes a charge the supplier has 30 days to respond as to why the charge shouldn't be reversed. If they fail to respond within those 30 days the consumer is immediately refunded the amount in dispute.

If they do respond within 30 days, the credit card company will forward to you the response and ask you for rebuttal. Your rebuttal will then be communicated to the supplier and again they have 30 days to respond. At that point the card provider will determine the facts and make a decesion. It's really rare that they would decide in favor of the supplier if the consumer has made any type of case at all.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #1,649 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you were able to get your money. I would urge all head-fi members to use their credit cards for purchases from small suppliers rather than Paypal even if you pay a little more for the privilege. I've worked in the credit card industry for many years. In order to for a supplier to accept visa/mastercard they have to agree to abide by the governing rules. These rules may vary from country to country. In the U.S. if a consumer disputes a charge the supplier has 30 days to respond as to why the charge shouldn't be reversed. If they fail to respond within those 30 days the consumer is immediately refunded the amount in dispute.

If they do respond within 30 days, the credit card company will forward to you the response and ask you for rebuttal. Your rebuttal will then be communicated to the supplier and again they have 30 days to respond. At that point the card provider will determine the facts and make a decesion. It's really rare that they would decide in favor of the supplier if the consumer has made any type of case at all.

Perhaps this is the reason so many people say "PayPal only."

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #1,650 of 1,964
After waiting more than a year and half, he comes back to me with a picture of "my" ES-1 and says I need to pay him another $2K+. My order was for an ES-1 with preamp capabilities, balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs, 2 Stax Jacks and a HE90 Jack and a switch to switch between earspeakers and preamp duties. The picture he sent me was of a regular ES-1 with 1 set of RCAs and 1 set of Balanced connectors, 1 Stax jack and 1 HE90 jack. When I pointed these differences to him, he still insisted that this was it. He told me that the rcas were the outputs (preamp), which means that the only input was the balanced ones. can someone please tell me if this looks like what its supposed to be??

ES1-4.jpg

ES1-3.jpg

ES1-2.jpg

ES1-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back