Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
Mar 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #1,531 of 1,964
Going to the Attorney General is the best thing to do. In order to really have any bite, there needs to be the threat of criminal prosecution, not just a monetary judgment.

Any type of plea agreement would likely involve restitution to the victims.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #1,533 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is good advice if you have a ton of times on your hands and no expectations. No offense, but BBBs are toothless, and I don't know about California, but in my neck of the woods (Illinois) the AG only gets involved in consumer protection stuff when the damages are in the 8-9 figure range, or where there is a sexy photo-op to be had (like something involving kids' safety). And I'm a bit confused by (3) (I don't know how you would go about pitching a case to an individual government lawyer).

I did say to contact the Colorado Attorney General, as in the state where SinglePower is, not your local one. I don't think you'll have as much luck going cross-state.

You don't need to pitch the case to individual lawyers, get in contact with AG office for consumer protection and pitch to them with a note that you have A LOT of people all over the country who have been defrauded by this person/company.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #1,534 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did say to contact the Colorado Attorney General, as in the state where SinglePower is, not your local one. I don't think you'll have as much luck going cross-state.

You don't need to pitch the case to individual lawyers, get in contact with AG office for consumer protection and pitch to them with a note that you have A LOT of people all over the country who have been defrauded by this person/company.

Exactly right.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #1,535 of 1,964
When the complainant is in a different state and institutes such a lawsuit in his own state - the defendant would have to go to that state and engage representation - otherwise there will be a summary judgment for the complainant. Most private people (or small businesses eg. Singlepower) will not want to pay for the hotel, travel expense, and an attorney. You also have to realize it will come to many trips, many hotel bills, and a retainer for the attorney (never cheap)........as answering the original complaint can be only the first of several steps before it lands in front of a judge.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #1,536 of 1,964
Or sue in federal court. Of course, you'd need to base it on something other than, or in addition to, breach of contract because you likely wouldn't satisfy the amount in controversy, but one doesn't have to be a genius to figure out other possible causes of action.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #1,537 of 1,964
True.
But, the behavior recounted here is typical of those who have something on their back. You will undoubtedly come to find there are almost no funds or no property from which to extract recompense........so the first to enjoy legal pursuit is likely to be the only one who has any chance of getting his dime back.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,538 of 1,964
Even with a default judgement, you would still have a hard time collecting. There's obviously not alot of cash floating around or much to put a lien on. And if he's incorporated his personal assets would be safe in most cases. To get the Feds involved, you'ld have to show widespred defraud and not just poor management or cashflow problems.
This and other "Watch out for Singlepower" threads have been around for a while, yet they are still getting orders. Still getting people's money. Not much you can hope for !!

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #1,539 of 1,964
You say "still getting orders". What is your reliable source of that "information"?
All I've heard is heresay from folks whose source has been the guy himself.

I pity the owners who'd like to replace them - they'll have a tough row to hoe.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #1,540 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To get the Feds involved, you'ld have to show widespred defraud and not just poor management or cashflow problems.

If this comment is in response to mine, I was not suggesting complaining to federal law enforcement. I was suggesting that, conceivably, one could also file suit in federal court.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #1,541 of 1,964
Why is everyone assuming the guy is broke? I realize this is a possibility, but I think it's just as likely that he's a greedy pig (a la Bernie Madoff) getting fat off of scamming audiophiles. It's been established that the guy is using cheap parts in amps that sell for uber-expensive prices, and is also going as far as taking thousands of dollars with no product being produced, so I can't see why people assume he has no funds.

I think people need to get out of the "He's a nice guy who is only acting this way because his back is up against the wall" mode of thinking and realize that the guy is an immoral con artist.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #1,542 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this comment is in response to mine, I was not suggesting complaining to federal law enforcement. I was suggesting that, conceivably, one could also file suit in federal court.

The "getting the Feds involved" was not directed at anyone. If he does have a corporation, there are corporate regulators out there as well.

BushGuy ,,,,,
I assumed that if he was still supplying his UK distributor, there were still orders being filled. I have no reliable confirmation of that fact.

[size=medium]SO CUT ME SOME SLACK[/size]

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #1,543 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is everyone assuming the guy is broke? I realize this is a possibility, but I think it's just as likely that he's a greedy pig (a la Bernie Madoff) getting fat off of scamming audiophiles. It's been established that the guy is using cheap parts in amps that sell for uber-expensive prices, and is also going as far as taking thousands of dollars with no product being produced, so I can't see why people assume he has no funds.

I think people need to get out of the "He's a nice guy who is only acting this way because his back is up against the wall" mode of thinking and realize that the guy is an immoral con artist.

I've been a lurker here for over a year, just started posting recently. Before I posted at all, though, I read through a ton of threads to get the flavor of the place, see what was happening. The various Singlepower threads are, in many ways, the most interesting (and frustrating and heartbreaking) and yes, I read all 100+ pages this thread.

If Mikhail isn't an outright, deliberate scammer, it occurs to me he may be mentally ill. I say that seriously.

I read all of the quoted emails people had received and the guy sounds rather delusional about the qualities of his products, the uniqueness of his designs, and often talks about how no other amps in the world are even close to sounding as good (though he puts it in more forceful terms). He appears to be inventing brand new circuits the likes of which audio engineering has never seen, and he does so every other day. There is more than a whiff of self delusion in his writings.

Couple that with his erratic behaviors:

- Constantly adding or removing features/upgrades that he and the customer have already agreed on, without prior authorization. Buyers often don't know what they are actually going to get in the mail (if anything), and Mikhail routinely substitutes parts or makes wholesale revisions whenever he feels like it. There is a frantic obsessiveness to that.

- His conversations with customers, as they have been posted here, make very little sense at all. The frequent promises to deliver when he well knows he won't, are either the actions of someone who is intentionally stealing or is incapable of discerning reality as the rest of us understand it.

- The sudden, expensive flights to a customer home to right a terrible wrong, and do so in person. One could argue he does this out of guilt or a desire to fix a problem, but look at the guts of some of these units he has sold and then subsequently had to buy an airplane ticket to repair. They are hardly amplifiers in the common meaning of the term in audio, rather, they are conglomerations of barely associated parts, often cheap, in bizarre designs that rarely, if ever work (not talking about the lower line stock units people generally seem pleased with, until they have to repair them) correctly or for very long. Several of the amps opened and photographed are potentially dangerous, and the innards a scattered mess of poor wiring and lousy grounding. Yet the casings are expensive looking, and according to Mikhail, took "hundreds" of hours to mill.

These are not the products of an ordered mind.

In the end, those who have lost money must decide individually what they should, or should not do about it. I understand Mike's desire to write off his loss and move on, now that he a has consulted a lawyer and decided there is little or nothing to be gained pursuing this. Sure, more money could be spent to put Singlepower out of business, or "teach a lesson", but the effort and unhappiness in doing so may not be worth the moral payoff.

On a larger scale, I do think it is time for Head-Fi to reconsider whether Mikhail should hold an account here, be allowed to attend gatherings (I understand he will not be at the next one due to missing a filing date, apparently), or even have his products acknowledged in a way that may lead to more sales (or attempted sales, at any rate). There remains the conundrum of those who are currently in limbo, though I suspect most of those cases will resolve by buyers giving up their money for lost, after a year or two more have passed and more empty promises are not fulfilled.

Sad.

This is a fantastic community. I say that as someone who has not been very involved until now, and has just the faintest whiff of how close knit it can be. I am still finding my way around and learning the dynamics here.

A person behaving the way Mikhail has behaved, over such a long period of time and with so many negative consequences, presents a real liability to the cohesiveness of the core community here. At some point he needs to be cut loose and shunned, before he can do even more damage. Ultimately it matters not the cause of his actions (except to anyone who may initiate legal proceedings against him) because the outcome is the same - lost money, missing products, frustrated, unhappy headfiers, and the potential for new victims.

I speak only for myself, but this topic has been in the back of my mind for a couple weeks now.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #1,544 of 1,964
I agree that this may be a possibility... it was certainly the case with Wally Malewicz (sp?) of WallyTools. He's flat out insane.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #1,545 of 1,964
Nice analysis. Even though I own a SinglePower amp (MPX3) which I am enjoying as I write, I agree with your analysis and suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back