Where do I go from here?
Mar 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:
The Pro 900s are looking really nice, but their sound seems to be really subjective, ie love it or hate it.  Any comments?

I think many of the bad reviews are from when they cost over $500. I agree with them in that respect, for over $500 they should be better. But I think they're pretty good at their new price bracket, assuming you want a good deal of bass. The tonality can be kind of odd with some music, but they really shine with electronic stuff.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 38
Don't get the Mad Dogs, you need a nice amp for them, like the Schiit Magni.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #23 of 38
If you have $250-$300 go for Sennheiser Amperior and get the Fiio X3 come out in June =
L3000.gif

The Amperior is the best closed HP right now i think

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #25 of 38
Let me be the first one to say it then! Amperior is the best closed hp for me! Even my wife thinks so. She's taking over it and I'm considering getting another pair. It has the sound signature I enjoy most and it beats almost everything I hv heard so far. The only hp which I would pick it over it is Denon D5000 which is smoother and more comfy.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #26 of 38
The VMODA definitely, it could sound better than the momentum with some EQ, since you could turn down the low end. I personally think the V-MODA is the best of all them. If something with out an amp and want to be portable, the m100 would be the best. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #28 of 38
The HD 25/ Amperior line is my favorite looking headphone line to begin with, so maybe I'll try a pair off Amazon and return them if I'm not impressed.  If I do return them I'll probably end up with the Momentum. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #30 of 38
Save a 100 / 200 bucks extra and a get a cheap but good amp with the HD650, used or new depending on what you deal you can get.
They have a good resale value, rich and enjoyable bass plus you'll be in a situation where you don't waste money on stuff that you were later going to replace anyway.
You could use the Xonar DG as a DAC; I did that for months and it sounded great.

Other options are maybe the beyer dt880 or dt990, or whatever headphones in that price bracket. The point is: if you wanna move to something better, you need to actually move to something better. You're not going to get dt880 or hd650 performance at a 150 dollar price point, that's just the way it is. If you really want strikingly better performance, that's where you need to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back