Where do I go from here?
Mar 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

njallday

New Head-Fier
Well, I took a step into the audiophile world about 2 months ago, picking up a pair of AT M50s.  Now, I do enjoy listening to them and they sound much better than the Klipsch S4s that I have been using for two years, but I want something that will wow me.  So, what I'm asking the Head-fi community is what is the best upgrade from M50s?

I'm planning on selling my M50s to a buddy and go for a pair of 'phones in the $250- $300 range.  I listen to essentially two genres: EDM and Alternative/Indie Rock.  The only "mobile" listening I do is on the bus ride home from school, and for that the M50s weren't a huge hassle.  At home, I have an Asus Xonar DGX.  What I'm looking for is some killer bass (I really enjoyed the M50's bass), but without compromises in the mids and highs.  Oh, and I want something comfortable. 

As a starting point, I was looking at AKG K550s, but from what I've read, they don't have the bass response that the M50s have.  I was also looking at Denon D2000s, but they are absolutely not portable and are very hard to find (they're the reason I'll extend to $300). 

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 38
Sennheiser Momentums are available for $300 from Razordog and are a fine choice for the music you listen to provided you do not have large ears (turns them into an on-ear headphone instead of over-ear as intended). Extremely enjoyable.

You can also look into the Denon D600s, somewhat unfairly maligned on Head-Fi IMO. They're around the $300 price range now as well, and perform quite well with the genres you listed. Slightly on the heavy/large side but very comfortable.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 38
The Momentums seem awesome, but that price is a little steep.  How would they stack up to Amperiors?  Amperiors can be had for a good price used, but I'm wary towards the clamping force. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 38
Definitely the Sony MDR-1R.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 38
Regarding the Sony's, after some research I've been seeing that the Momentums do everything that the Sonys do well, only better. 

How would something like the Momentums stack up against Ultrasone Pro 900s? 

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 38
that is untrue, sony has more bass, and has a different characteristic, the momentum is best most realistic sounding out of the vmoda and sonys, vmoda is "fun" to listen to that is why i picked that over the sony, and sennheisers after doing research and also depends on what you listen to and people over hype the m50s from what ive researched

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 38
The K550's are great, but they do not have very much bass, and I think you would be disappointed at first. The Ultrasone Pro 900's have a great deal of bass, but it's richly textured and detailed. The price of them has dropped to just within your range lately, so I'd recommend checking them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back