Where do I go after Shure SRH840?
Sep 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Solrighal

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently using the Shure SRH840's and they're far and away the best cans I've heard. But then I haven't heard many. I'm looking to move up the ladder now though and I'd like to keep with closed cans. My wife agrees, lol. I had been looking at the Beyer DT880's but after reading more about them I'm not so sure any more. It's important to me that whatever I end up going with is relatively easy to drive. When I'm in my den I listen to music with FLAC files  > Foobar > M-audio 2496 soundcard > Rotel RA-01 and in bed I only have my Cowon D2. It's also because I listen in bed that I need them to be closed and easy to drive. I generally like the sound of the 840's but I'd like...more. Not sure exactly how to describe what I'm after soundwise. I think the Shure's are pretty weak when it comes to bass detail and punchiness. Also they're a bit limited sounstage-wise but from what  read that's always going to be a problem with closed cans. I did previously consider amping them but again, from what I've read on here it won't make much of a difference. I've also considered the Denon D2000's but I don't think they'll suit my preferred music choices.

Ah yes, the music. I tend to listen to a lot of female vocalists and some Americana. Natalie Merchant, Alela Diane, Martha Wainwright, Midlake, Fleet Foxes, Bill Callahan, Arcade Fire...you get the idea.

Price is not such an issue, within reason. I'd like to keep below £300 if at all possible. What would be really great would be something which would give me an instead upgrade now but which in future would bring further improvements when amped. Any input is welcome.

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 10
Well like I mentioned in my comparison thread, I'd recommend the Pioneer HDJ-2000. The 840 to me was my favourite soundwise compared against the M50/Q40, but it was uncomfortable. The HDJ-2000 took everything I liked about the 840 sound, added some needed punch in the lows and better clarity in the highs. Soundstage is about the same as the 840 though.

On the other hand, if you listen primarily to female vocals then maybe take a look at the Audio Technica lineup (other than the M50, which is sort of a unique entity within the brand). I've heard both the AD700 and A700 and they're quite nice for the genre. The ESW9 is also quite good, though I felt it underperformed for it's price (not that it's bad, just that the competition is really stiff in that price bracket). I've heard from friends that the AD2000 is also excellent, though I've never tried it myself.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 10
alot ppl say audio technica phones are very special to listen to female vocals.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 10
Those Pioneers do sound interesting and the price is right. However, from what you say about them it sounds like they'd be better but not by a lot. I'm kinda looking to get a bigger improvement for the money (even if it means spending more). As for Audio Technica's - I know nothing about them I'm afraid. Time for more research.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I'm looking to move up the ladder now though and I'd like to keep with closed cans. My wife agrees, lol. I had been looking at the Beyer DT880's but after reading more about them I'm not so sure any more. 

AFAIK the DT880s are not closed cans. There really arent that many high end closed models on the market, but the Denon D5000 come to mind for your needs (especially if you want MUCH more bass quantity). However I dont know how hard they are to drive. Other possibilities are Ultrasones or maybe the DT770.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 10
That's good timing CH. I'm coming to the conclusion that absolute sound quality maybe isn't achievable with closed cans. Maybe I should be looking to get a good pair of open backed cans for the den and stick with the Shures in bed. When I research open backed cans though it seems the best seem to need amps to do their best and it's difficult to tell which ones work with either my D2 or my Rotel amp.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Would I be correct to state that, all things being equal, the higher the impedance the more necessary a dedicated amp becomes?

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 10
I do feel that the HDJ-2000 is a worthwhile upgrade over the 840, but like all things audio there is a heavy diminishing return. If you don't need the compactness or durability, you might find better choise elsewhere.

For somthing different, one of my favourites right now is the Phiaton MS400. If you're in Europe, aren't the Senns/Beyers/Ultrasones cheaper out there?

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Yes, all other things being equal. However the sensitivity is also important in the discussion of amping. For instance, the Grado GR8 has higher impedance than the AKG K701 but can be driven by most portables, unlike the AKGs. This is due in part to the very high sensitivity of the Grados.

Quote:
Would I be correct to state that, all things being equal, the higher the impedance the more necessary a dedicated amp becomes?

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Right! Here's an off the wall question then. How about a pair of Beyer 990 600Ohm cans? I know they're open, not closed. I know they'll be difficult to drive with my D2 (but maybe not so bad with my Rotel?). Plus, they'll give me a reason to look at an amp just in time for Christmas, lol. From the Beyer comparison thread they do seem to be the kind of sound I'm looking for. Good bass but with an open midrange and airy treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back