Where are the HiFi Wolfson DACs in 2022? (WM8740, WM8741, WM8742)
Sep 1, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #16 of 21
The font on the face plate needs revisiting. Nice to see a boutique UK firm producing though.
Hmm. TBH I wasn't overly keen on the design altogether, at first.
Sleek, modern, minimalist design is what my eye favours. But the design of this amp n DAC has grown on me like a classic car. However, yeahh, I get where you're coming from. It would be sweet to have 2 variations of design offered housing the same product, the classic, and another modern take. With their expertise of craftmanship I'm sure that too would be awesome.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #17 of 21
One thing stands out on the website pics of NJC Audio - they are using Elna Silmic II caps and Mills wirewound resistors. These are very high quality components and almost unheard of using them at this price point (about 525 pounds for the DAC and 470 for the headphone amp).

They are also lifting the parts off the PCB board when soldering, instead of pulling them tight to the board. This reduces microphony effects and is something you usually only see on ultra expensive high end amplification. It shows they are taking great care and there is a level of art going on here uncommon to this price point.

Of course the proof is how it sounds. I need a remote controlled DAC/Pre so they don't have a product to suit me, but for a headphone setup NJC would be one of the first product lines I would try.

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #19 of 21
I like the Wolfson WM8741. Every time I think about replacing the Lumin A1 in my 2nd system with something else, I go and listen to it.....end of thought.

Nov 14, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #20 of 21
Hi everyone, I have a Cambridge Audio CXA80 of nearly 6 years which has the WM8740 chip. Recently I bought a topping E70 (ES9028PRO) that was recommended by a friend and this stupid obsession to try out a new external dac connected to the CXA80 via XLR obviously got sold into all this higher sinad better sq. I have now been for a week swapping back and forth usb from E70 and CXA80 to see if I can hear a clear improvement and yes there is a tad difference in presentation being the E70 has a more forward, slight glare open sound(whatever that means) lol. The Wolfson on the other hand is very smooth, laid back, vocals not so much forward compared to the E70. I also regret buying this new DAC as I don't think I need to add another digital device to the chain just because the measurements are outstanding (also looks out of place with my Cambridge Audio CXA and CXC transport. What do you think about this? Shall I just scrap the E70 (option to add it to a Cambridge Audio Azur 650A setup elswhere) and carry on listening to the built in dac of the CXA80? Sorry to have waffled on, I have OCD and can never make my mind up🤷

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 21
DacMagic 100 sounds fine. And there are lots of Wolfson DAC's still in many, many CD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back