Where are the HiFi Wolfson DACs in 2022? (WM8740, WM8741, WM8742)
Feb 28, 2022 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

AudioEarthling

New Head-Fier
I recently found a great comparison between Wolfson WM8741 vs. Sabre SS9023 chip based DAC, while shopping for a Denafrips ARES II Resister Ladder R2R Dac. Remco Stoutjesdijk comprehensively reviewed both chip dacs objectively and subjectively:

1646049518247.png

He distinguishes analytical data with actual human hearing, with a surprising conclusion!
He differentiates between how convincing and full the voices are herad versus how clean and flat the low noise floor is.

I wonder...

Why aren't there more Wolfson based DACs in the world? (WM8740, WM8741, WM8742)
And if there are ready made DACs available in Europe, which models are current as of 2022?

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 21
I recently found a great comparison between Wolfson WM8741 vs. Sabre SS9023 chip based DAC, while shopping for a Denafrips ARES II Resister Ladder R2R Dac. Remco Stoutjesdijk comprehensively reviewed both chip dacs objectively and subjectively:

1646049518247.png

He distinguishes analytical data with actual human hearing, with a surprising conclusion!
He differentiates between how convincing and full the voices are herad versus how clean and flat the low noise floor is.

I wonder...

And if there are ready made DACs available in Europe, which models are current as of 2022?
I would like to know more about this, too.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 21
Sep 13, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 21
Hello,
Personally, I also prefer the Wolfson.
I find it musical,juicy,great bass range,great low end.
And if it's done well,the midrange will probably be better,too,which sometimes seems a bit recessed.

In Europe you can get the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic100,but I have to say the Little Dot Dac 1 beats it by a long way.
Otherwise, there's the Meier Audio Daccord, which is supposed to be good.
Otherwise, you can usually only find custom-built devices, as the chip no longer exists in this form because Wolfson went bankrupt and was bought up by Cirrus Logic.
They are also good, but I don't think they come close to the Wolfson sound.

Technically the Wolfson chip is very old but still good enough against today's Dac, sometimes even better depending on the implementation but limited to 24/192.
There is no Mqa and the like.

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 21
the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic100,but I have to say the Little Dot Dac 1 beats it by a long way.
I always find it amusing how one can spend tons of money in equipment, and that equipment would still 'not be enough' and get beaten by another one... Such is the Food-Chain of audiophilia innit?

Jul 3, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 21
Hello,
Personally, I also prefer the Wolfson.
I find it musical,juicy,great bass range,great low end.
And if it's done well,the midrange will probably be better,too,which sometimes seems a bit recessed.

In Europe you can get the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic100,but I have to say the Little Dot Dac 1 beats it by a long way.
Otherwise, there's the Meier Audio Daccord, which is supposed to be good.
Otherwise, you can usually only find custom-built devices, as the chip no longer exists in this form because Wolfson went bankrupt and was bought up by Cirrus Logic.
They are also good, but I don't think they come close to the Wolfson sound.

Technically the Wolfson chip is very old but still good enough against today's Dac, sometimes even better depending on the implementation but limited to 24/192.
There is no Mqa and the like.
I have the Synthesis Virtue A40 tube amp integrated with a Wolfson DAC. I never heard of this DAC before. I am impressed with it. I agree with you. Truly it is musical.

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 21
I’m still using the TeddyDAC from Teddy Pardo, which uses the WM8741. I have tried many similarly priced Sabre based dacs over the years and the difference has always been exactly like the list in the OP’s post.

There is an analog like naturalness to the Wolfsen. It’s has all the detail, but it’s presented in a way that is more real than hi-fi. It’s less digital and less fatiguing. I was always surprised that the Wolfsens were not more popular with dac designers but they have a lower spec rating than Sabre, that’s probably why.

Of course implementation is everything and the 11 Teddy Superregulators in the TeddyDAC could be the magic I am hearing, not the chip itself. Also the Sabre (9018 era) was apparently difficult to extract glare free sound from, but that may be well in the past.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 21
In the UK, you can still get the NJC reference dac (and accompanying amp) which uses the Wolfson WM8741. I have one myself, lovely bit of kit. Every part, where possible, of the dac and amp is hand made, faceplate, volume knob etc etc, hand soldered using premium components. I can wholly recommend it/them
http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 21
2 X WM8740

1646049518247.png

I wonder...

I wanted to state the Wolfson DAC I am currently using in my Synthesis A40 integrated amp is the WM8740.

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 21
I have the Synthesis Virtue A40 tube amp integrated with a Wolfson DAC. I never heard of this DAC before. I am impressed with it. I agree with you. Truly it is musical.
I wanted to state the Wolfson DAC I am currently using in my Synthesis A40 integrated amp is the WM8740.

**Sorry for the double post. Not sure how to delete the first one.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 21
I prefer a bespoke WM8741 DAC myself too. The Corda Soul is a great Wolfson based DAC that can be bought today.

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 21
I prefer a bespoke WM8741 DAC myself too. The Corda Soul is a great Wolfson based DAC that can be bought today.
Jeepers! Ok, so I doubt my NJC DAC can compete at that level, going only on price... But just goes to show what an absolute bargain the NJC is!!! Even though they are a tiny Cornwall-based company, they have a solid reputation. I'm surprised they don't get more love here on Head-Fi.

Although the DAC is reference with no colouration, the sound is a true joy. Some may imagine reference to be boring, cold or too analytical, but this DAC n amp aren't at all. So musical and enjoyable.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 21
In the UK, you can still get the NJC reference dac (and accompanying amp) which uses the Wolfson WM8741. I have one myself, lovely bit of kit. Every part, where possible, of the dac and amp is hand made, faceplate, volume knob etc etc, hand soldered using premium components. I can wholly recommend it/them
http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/
The font on the face plate needs revisiting. Nice to see a boutique UK firm producing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back