When is enough, enough?
Apr 5, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #151 of 271
Apr 6, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #152 of 271
We seem to be calling the kettle black. Just showed my system to a non audiophile and she thought I was crazy. Where do you draw the line. Any of these tweeks, though not scientific or provable garner a real improvement in the mind of some? Placebo triggered perception.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #153 of 271

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #154 of 271

Even Sony with their 200 year old wood headphones, getting back to wood.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #155 of 271

The greatest tweak of course was that strange idea that two signals could be more lifelike than one?

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #156 of 271
Dunno about the cables there, but that Hello Kitty shower curtain is guaranteed to enhance treble.

Even back then there were major players who doubted that Stereo would be anything but a flash in the pan. Culshaw speaks of it in The Ring Resounding.

I actually ran Pirelli Nuclear Shield cable for a while. The sound was not bad and the gee whiz factor of thick yellow rubber jacketed armored cable had it's appeal
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #157 of 271

Even Sony with their 200 year old wood headphones, getting back to wood.

I love my woodies. That said, I draw the line at butchering a 200 year old tree for my aural amusements. I am already feeling some pangs of guilt using Ebony, Blackwood and a few others. As I said before....want to look at less exotic possibilities...

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #158 of 271
Dunno about the cables there, but that Hello Kitty shower curtain is guaranteed to enhance treble.

Even back then there were major players who doubted that Stereo would be anything but a flash in the pan. Culshaw speaks of it in The Ring Resounding.

I actually ran Pirelli Nuclear Shield cable for a while. The sound was not bad and the gee whiz factor of thick yellow rubber jacketed armored cable had it's appeal:D

For years my amp was a late 1960s Scott and it had the stereo and center channel to try and fill out the center which so many mono-purests were upset with.

Sadly most of the best album mixes from the time were also mono, with stereo being the after-thought effort.

The most elaborate tube amp I have ever seen was mono. Just racks of tubes and a speaker which looked like two Voice Of The Theater cabinets glued together.

Embarrassingly I have a bigger investment in cables than headphones. Where that places me I don't know?

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #159 of 271
I love my woodies. That said, I draw the line at butchering a 200 year old tree for my aural amusements. I am already feeling some pangs of guilt using Ebony, Blackwood and a few others. As I said before....want to look at less exotic possibilities...

Still Sony limited production to only 2000 pairs. I don't know, I think trees grow back. The couple hundred species of animals we loose every year is much more dramatic for me, as they are never to return.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #161 of 271
That many?  Source?

Bugs and plant life and animals ends up a lot. Don't know where I saw the list, plus don't know about the validity of the list I saw? Still here is one.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/directory?direction=desc&sort=extinction_status

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #162 of 271
Bugs and plant life and animals ends up a lot. Don't know where I saw the list, plus don't know about the validity of the list I saw? Still here is one.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/directory?direction=desc&sort=extinction_status

That's an endangered list -- not clear how many species are actually lost each year -- kaput.
Still. That's a lot. But not all by the hand of Man, I presume.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #163 of 271
One gets used to a sound. As cats do many run from one room into another room expecting the next room is better. Sometimes it is for awhile.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #164 of 271
That's an endangered list -- not clear how many species are actually lost each year -- kaput.

Still. That's a lot. But not all by the hand of Man, I presume.

Yes, your right. I really meant a list of lost life forms. I did see a list once showed the insects and plant life along with the animal species we lost by the year, going back the last 5 years. It was dramatic.

The fact that we lose a whole list of plant life every year. I'll look for a list of that. It's dramatic.

http://www.petermaas.nl/extinct/lists/mostrecent.htm
Edit:

http://eol.org/collections/55306

Users who are viewing this thread

Back