When is enough, enough?
Mar 22, 2016 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 271

Someguy353

New Head-Fier
For the past month or so, I have came to realize that I might need to stop the quest for better audio or headphones in my case. So I have put a stop on acquiring more headphones or audio equipment. I was wondering if anyone else also have put a stop on getting more audio equipment, because it started to feel like it is getting a bit out of hand?

Basically with better headphone it will requires better sound source and better amp to drive it. So those cost all add up. Also I am not sure if a HD800 is really worth a few hundred bucks more than HD598. I mean sure there is more details and stuff, but really how much more does those details impact our enjoyment of music?

However last year I have acquired some broken and low cost headphone to mod or fix, so this should keep me busy for a while.

So I am wondering if anyone else also hit this wall and have determine that it is not worth it anymore?

I would love to hear someone else's experience.

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 271
That is untill you buy an IEM like a Shure SE846 that beats almost every full sized headphone on the market. Then you'll upgrade to headphones like the HD 800 S :p

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 271
  For the past month or so, I have came to realize that I might need to stop the quest for better audio or headphones in my case. So I have put a stop on acquiring more headphones or audio equipment. I was wondering if anyone else also have put a stop on getting more audio equipment, because it started to feel like it is getting a bit out of hand?

Basically with better headphone it will requires better sound source and better amp to drive it. So those cost all add up. Also I am not sure if a HD800 is really worth a few hundred bucks more than HD598. I mean sure there is more details and stuff, but really how much more does those details impact our enjoyment of music?

However last year I have acquired some broken and low cost headphone to mod or fix, so this should keep me busy for a while.

So I am wondering if anyone else also hit this wall and have determine that it is not worth it anymore?

I would love to hear someone else's experience.

I've tried, I really have. But I just keep coming back for more.. Sometimes I wonder whether this hobby is like some kind of addiction.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 271
  Basically with better headphone it will requires better sound source and better amp to drive it. 

Untrue. The amount of flim-flam with other components is crazy, at that point you're not getting "better" amps and sources, you're just getting one that's colored to your taste. The headphones themselves are 95% of the sound difference, everything else is subtle adjustments and even an HD800 or giant planar can be run perfectly fine out of a modest DAC/amp these days.

Is it always worth it to go higher and higher up the price ladder? No. Is it worth it to hunt down the headphone that makes you enjoy the music the most even if it's more expensive? Absolutely. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 271
I have 44 headphones and 23 amps, not counting DACs. That said, I can see light at the end of the tunnel, lol.

Amps make a difference, but they're very tough to separate once you get to a certain level of quality. I paid $699 for an Audeze Deckard, but it can be difficult to hear a difference between it and my $250 Schiit Asgard 2. However, there's a very noticeable difference between both amps and my Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Feliks Audio Elise.

Tubes are sensational in a lot of cases and my $140 Aune T1 mk2 tube DAC's amp section beats out my Asgard 2's imo. In DAC mode, I prefer the Aune's tube sweetness to my $5995 Metric Halo ULN-8.

So I think price doesn't have much to do with it and tubes are a huge equaliser. Tubes tend to give a greater sense of air, space, and separation, while solid state tends to put an edge on detail. I'd buy the $129 Schiit Vali over most solid state amps up to $500, BUT some guys prefer that edge on detail and smaller soundstage.

I have my endgame headphone which is Audioquest Nighthawk. I have many more expensive cans but they're pretty much it for me. I *think* the endgame amp/DAC combo for that headphone is Aune T1 mk2 and Liquid Carbon; I don't think anything can beat that combo. But for the rest of my headphones I'm hoping I can get ahold of the ATH 5050, which is the best amp I've ever heard. If not that one then maybe a Liquid Glass. Both of those are hybrid tube amps and noticeably better than anything else I've heard.

Solid State amps that I've that separate themselves from the crowd are Headamp GSX-2 and Cavalli Liquid Gold.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 271
  I was wondering if anyone else also have put a stop on getting more audio equipment, because it started to feel like it is getting a bit out of hand?

Also I am not sure if a HD800 is really worth a few hundred bucks more than HD598. I mean sure there is more details and stuff, but really how much more does those details impact our enjoyment of music?

Quite a few will and have asked themselves these very sensible questions and a lot can be said about it. I guess the most important factor is as long as you truly enjoy whatever you're doing and aren't getting yourself in any trouble$ at the end of the month you're cool.

Is enough enough and all worth it? Everyone decides for himself right. At some time you've played with enough equipment to know what sounds good to you. That can be the end of the road right there. Or you're the type of guy who loves doing what he does so much he's going to tweak that setup hoping it's going to sound even better. Worth it? It's nice for sure.

atsmile.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 271
I think it depends a lot on how much music you really listen to in the end. At times I was reading so much hear and dreaming about gear - at times even buying it :) - that I forgot to appreciate what this hobby ultimately is all about. Then when you take the time and sit on your favourite music chair, plug in your current gear and just get lost in the music, you might start realizing how great the music sounds and how good it feels! If so you don't need to hunt for better gear at all :)

If you find that something is missing you may want to consider looking for better gear or better music. Or you may just have to take more time to yourself again, to relax and learn to appreciate music again :)

Long story short: I have great gear and at the moment don't have the money to upgrade. But when I sit down and listen to it I don't feel the need to upgrade at all! ^^

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 271
I have 44 headphones and 23 amps, not counting DACs. That said, I can see light at the end of the tunnel, lol.

Amps make a difference, but they're very tough to separate once you get to a certain level of quality. I paid $699 for an Audeze Deckard, but it can be difficult to hear a difference between it and my $250 Schiit Asgard 2. However, there's a very noticeable difference between both amps and my Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Feliks Audio Elise.

Tubes are sensational in a lot of cases and my $140 Aune T1 mk2 tube DAC's amp section beats out my Asgard 2's imo. In DAC mode, I prefer the Aune's tube sweetness to my $5995 Metric Halo ULN-8.

So I think price doesn't have much to do with it and tubes are a huge equaliser. Tubes tend to give a greater sense of air, space, and separation, while solid state tends to put an edge on detail. I'd buy the $129 Schiit Vali over most solid state amps up to $500, BUT some guys prefer that edge on detail and smaller soundstage.

I have my endgame headphone which is Audioquest Nighthawk. I have many more expensive cans but they're pretty much it for me. I *think* the endgame amp/DAC combo for that headphone is Aune T1 mk2 and Liquid Carbon; I don't think anything can beat that combo. But for the rest of my headphones I'm hoping I can get ahold of the ATH 5050, which is the best amp I've ever heard. If not that one then maybe a Liquid Glass. Both of those are hybrid tube amps and noticeably better than anything else I've heard.

Solid State amps that I've that separate themselves from the crowd are Headamp GSX-2 and Cavalli Liquid Gold.

Agree on the Aune T1 MK2, great sounding and looking unit! Preferred it to the Woo WA7.

Personally some of the cheapest headphones can still be some of the most enjoyable. Grado sr60e is getting a lot of head time for me despite owning a lot of headphones far more expensive.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 271
  I think it depends a lot on how much music you really listen to in the end. At times I was reading so much hear and dreaming about gear - at times even buying it :) - that I forgot to appreciate what this hobby ultimately is all about. Then when you take the time and sit on your favourite music chair, plug in your current gear and just get lost in the music, you might start realizing how great the music sounds and how good it feels! If so you don't need to hunt for better gear at all :)

If you find that something is missing you may want to consider looking for better gear or better music. Or you may just have to take more time to yourself again, to relax and learn to appreciate music again :)

Long story short: I have great gear and at the moment don't have the money to upgrade. But when I sit down and listen to it I don't feel the need to upgrade at all! ^^

I totally agree. I have just been testing headphones for the sake for testing headphone. I am going through my music collection now and I discovered there are so many tracks I have not yet tried with my current collection of headphone. I think I got too caught up with the whole perfect, low, mid and high graph that I forgot to just enjoy the music.

That is untill you buy an IEM like a Shure SE846 that beats almost every full sized headphone on the market. Then you'll upgrade to headphones like the HD 800 S
tongue.gif

Why are you doing this to me =p I am working to cut down and you introduce me to a even more costly IEM.. 
tongue_smile.gif

I've tried, I really have. But I just keep coming back for more.. Sometimes I wonder whether this hobby is like some kind of addiction.

I totally understand. I do think for me it have become some kind of addiction. I don't think I really need all those gear and I have decided to go back and just enjoy the music with what I got.

Untrue. The amount of flim-flam with other components is crazy, at that point you're not getting "better" amps and sources, you're just getting one that's colored to your taste. The headphones themselves are 95% of the sound difference, everything else is subtle adjustments and even an HD800 or giant planar can be run perfectly fine out of a modest DAC/amp these days.

Is it always worth it to go higher and higher up the price ladder? No. Is it worth it to hunt down the headphone that makes you enjoy the music the most even if it's more expensive? Absolutely. 

This is the problem I have, when is it time to say I have found the color I enjoy? There are always new gears out and new things to try. I think I draw the line purely, because I have a while where I think things are starting to getting a bit out of hand.

I think you post are a true eye opener and I don't think I can afford to head down this path. I think I have blow around 800 bucks in all my gears right now. I think all those gear will bleed me dry. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quite a few will and have asked themselves these very sensible questions and a lot can be said about it. I guess the most important factor is as long as you truly enjoy whatever you're doing and aren't getting yourself in any trouble$ at the end of the month you're cool.

Is enough enough and all worth it? Everyone decides for himself right. At some time you've played with enough equipment to know what sounds good to you. That can be the end of the road right there. Or you're the type of guy who loves doing what he does so much he's going to tweak that setup hoping it's going to sound even better. Worth it? It's nice for sure.

atsmile.gif

Thank you moriez. I think based on your comment, I think I will stop acquiring more gears. I agree I can continue to enjoy music as it is without making too much financial burden to me self.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 271
I've pretty much annoyed every head-fier and questioned their purchases that they eventually told me to try the headphones for myself. Then I found out my desired setup and realized that there really isn't anything out there worth spending $2000+ on. I had much more joy putting together a woodie grado-based headphone and ODAC/O2 instead of buying something more expensive. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 271

Agree on the Aune T1 MK2, great sounding and looking unit! Preferred it to the Woo WA7.

Sorry to hijack the thread but wait what, for real? I've always heard good things about Aune but I've never given their proper consideration - is the T1 actually THAT good overall (with the stock tube it comes with), or did you mean the DAC portion of it only? Costs like 250e in Europe it seems so if there's the a chance it'll sound better than the WA7 I'll order one right now. I don't doubt it can beat the Asgard 2 for example like inthere mentioned earlier in the thread but the WA7 is a completely different thing.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 271
It's a fun hobby that can be a sort of addiction. I guess spreading out your purchases and buying used gear is a way to not break the bank. I guess members who put stuff on credit cards are folks who really stand a chance of getting into trouble.

I buy very few things every year. But after you have a series of stuff you find that you like different stuff at different times. What that proved to me was your never really 100% right all the time about your perception of gear quality. Also new gear acquisitions make the old gear sound different.

Best though to make the purchase of expensive big amps more like a lifetime dream. There is nothing wrong with going after the best sound. The truth is that you may make some bad purchases along the way, that's just part of it.

Enjoying music is the most important part. Once you start listening to gear only it becomes less fun.

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 271

Sorry to hijack the thread but wait what, for real? I've always heard good things about Aune but I've never given their proper consideration - is the T1 actually THAT good overall (with the stock tube it comes with), or did you mean the DAC portion of it only? Costs like 250e in Europe it seems so if there's the a chance it'll sound better than the WA7 I'll order one right now. I don't doubt it can beat the Asgard 2 for example like inthere mentioned earlier in the thread but the WA7 is a completely different thing.

I got the massdrop one with came with the updated Gold Lion tube. The bulk of the WA7 (power pack was huge) for me didn't bring any improvements to the table, I'm not one who finds huge differences between amps/dacs so the Aune T1 is perfect for me.

I even heard no difference with the HD800 with WA7 compared to the Aune, I thought the WA7 would tame it more but not for me.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 271

Well, I stand by my statement that the amp section of the Aune T1 mk2 is better than the Asgard 2-to me. I'd also like to stress that there were a LOT of complaints about the amp section of the Aune T1 mk ONE, most basically saying it sucked, so make sure you get the mk2 version.

As far as the DAC section goes, I really can't say enough about it because it's literally changed my life. I've been engineering professionally for over 30 years and last year I tested over 30 DACs. Using null testing where all differences in audio quality are audible, every single DAC nulled-meaning the internal digital conversion quality of almost all DACs are the going to be exactly the same unless there is something wrong-there is NO audio processing between the 1's and 0's and the rendered audio file. The Aune T1 mk2 was the only exception.

What this means is that my $79 Schiit Fulla has the same digital conversion quality as my $5995 Metric Halo ULN-8, and I wasn't pleased at all.

This is not saying that all DACs sound the same because they don't. However *if* they don't there's something else in the signal path changing the sound.

What I found is the the Aune T1 mk2 put a tube *flavor* on the rendered audio file........not only that but different tubes add different flavors-all the differences were audible with null testing.

Now this may sound like a small deal but I found that if I had a high solid state amp I could turn it into a hybrid tube amp with the Aune-with spectacular results.

Professional well, let me just say there are $800 tube sound "emulations" plugins and I get better results with my Aune T1.....every track record now I re-render with the Aune. Ii also send mixes and masters through T1 mk2.

So yeah, I consider the Aune T1 mk2 DAC section to be very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back