When is enough, enough?
Mar 24, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #16 of 271

So I am wondering if anyone else also hit this wall and have determine that it is not worth it anymore?

After a while, you realize what kind of sound presentation you're looking for, and that can narrow options down a lot.  If you like bass, you're probably not going to be interested in buying any low-bass headphones.  If you need isolation, you're probably not interested in open-backs or closed that have small or leaky pads.  And reading comparisons compared to what you already have can remove a lot of options too.

One thing is if you take care of your equipment, it's often not going to lose too much value.  (That's a generalization, obviously.)  Some people spend lots of money on consumable items, and then they use it once and it's gone. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #17 of 271

After a while, you realize what kind of sound presentation you're looking for, and that can narrow options down a lot.  If you like bass, you're probably not going to be interested in buying any low-bass headphones.  If you need isolation, you're probably not interested in open-backs or closed that have small or leaky pads.  And reading comparisons compared to what you already have can remove a lot of options too.

One thing is if you take care of your equipment, it's often not going to lose too much value.  (That's a generalization, obviously.)  Some people spend lots of money on consumable items, and then they use it once and it's gone. 

That's the thing it's like gold mining where you find a sound and then continue to look for an improvement in that sound. It's an education where there is right and wrong but everyone needs to learn it at their own pace and within the wanted sound signature.

Example:
It's only after maybe hearing a complex treble detail response that later members then start to realize where their old headphones were lacking. Still before due to naivety the old treble was fine.

The only factors are time and equipment purchased. Still we get tricked by euphonic color only to learn it was covering up detail. The only way you learn that is over time. Especially euphonic bass color can sway the pocket-book away from someone already at a respectable flat clear response.

Kind of like an exciting girl pulling the member from his honest marriage.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #18 of 271

LOL, always a new "exciting girl" in the headphone world

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #19 of 271
Good thread.

You do have to put a stop to the buying sometimes, really have some restraint.

I noticed a problem for me is when I sell something, I usually use it to buy something else, rather than keeping the money. 

I actually really like my cheapie Ultrasone headphones as much as just about anything else that I've tried. Are they the ultimate

in audiophile sound quality... no. But I really like them. I'm trying to clear out some stuff and see how well I do with the few

Ultrasones I have. Probably won't last long, but I'll see. 

The other problem - all these manufacturer's keep putting out new models. You are never caught up in headphones, more and

more are being released nowadays than ever, it seems.

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 271

The other thing, if you want to not lose too much, is not buy brand new released stuff. If you look at prices, sometimes they can drop a lot after like 2 years or so of waiting. Everyone chases the new stuff. Same with video games - if you are perpetually a generation behind, you can get tons of games super cheap. Like - look at ps3 game prices now vs. a few years ago. The PS4 will do the same thing in a few years.

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #21 of 271

Thank you for your input. I think I understand my problem a bit better now. I went into headphones without having a goal or idea of what I am looking for. My first pair of 100+ headphone was an sennheiser amperior, from there I went to full size over ears, than to open. So over those time I had a few experience on how different type of headphone sound like, but I can not quite make up my mind on what I like best. I guess I need to sit down really ask my self what are my after, before I make the next purchase, if I do decide to continue. 

That's the thing it's like gold mining where you find a sound and then continue to look for an improvement in that sound. It's an education where there is right and wrong but everyone needs to learn it at their own pace and within the wanted sound signature.

Example:
It's only after maybe hearing a complex treble detail response that later members then start to realize where their old headphones were lacking. Still before due to naivety the old treble was fine.

The only factors are time and equipment purchased. Still we get tricked by euphonic color only to learn it was covering up detail. The only way you learn that is over time. Especially euphonic bass color can sway the pocket-book away from someone already at a respectable flat clear response.

I totally agree that this is a learning experience. I think I am just too eager to find out where this journey will taking me and my eagerness is starting to burn out. This is both interns of money and time. I think I will have to review my options and determine what I need to do next. I don't think acquiring more headphone at this point is the way to go.

I also agree that I kept on been swayed but a different interpretation of sound been introduced to me, it always throw a curve ball in my path.

Good thread.

You do have to put a stop to the buying sometimes, really have some restraint.

I noticed a problem for me is when I sell something, I usually use it to buy something else, rather than keeping the money. 

I actually really like my cheapie Ultrasone headphones as much as just about anything else that I've tried. Are they the ultimate

in audiophile sound quality... no. But I really like them. I'm trying to clear out some stuff and see how well I do with the few

Ultrasones I have. Probably won't last long, but I'll see. I just always like trying stuff.

The other problem - all these manufacturer's keep putting out new models. You are never caught up in headphones, more and

more are being released nowadays than ever, it seems.

Thank you TWerk, I think putting a stop buying is the only way for me to truly review my options and desire on what is it I am really after. Sometime I think I am not after better sound, but just want to experience everything that is out there. I don't think it should be the way to go, as it will ultimately turning this journey into headphone addiction. Also I do find cheap headphone are much more enjoyable sometime, as you are not worried looking after it as a expensive one. 

I do also agree on the newer models been release, I guess like any business it is there to simulate buyers. Where we desire the hunt for the better sound signature, headphone company will be in the hunt for our wallets. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #22 of 271
Thank you for your input. I think I understand my problem a bit better now. I went into headphones without having a goal or idea of what I am looking for. My first pair of 100+ headphone was an sennheiser amperior, from there I went to full size over ears, than to open. So over those time I had a few experience on how different type of headphone sound like, but I can not quite make up my mind on what I like best. I guess I need to sit down really ask my self what are my after, before I make the next purchase, if I do decide to continue. 

I totally agree that this is a learning experience. I think I am just too eager to find out where this journey will taking me and my eagerness is starting to burn out. This is both interns of money and time. I think I will have to review my options and determine what I need to do next. I don't think acquiring more headphone at this point is the way to go.

I also agree that I kept on been swayed but a different interpretation of sound been introduced to me, it always throw a curve ball in my path.

Thank you TWerk, I think putting a stop buying is the only way for me to truly review my options and desire on what is it I am really after. Sometime I think I am not after better sound, but just want to experience everything that is out there. I don't think it should be the way to go, as it will ultimately turning this journey into headphone addiction. Also I do find cheap headphone are much more enjoyable sometime, as you are not worried looking after it as a expensive one. 

I do also agree on the newer models been release, I guess like any business it is there to simulate buyers. Where we desire the hunt for the better sound signature, headphone company will be in the hunt for our wallets. 

It's an extremely long term hobby. When I remember hearing Sennheiser and Koss headphones turned way up on an audiophile grade system in 1975! The hobby can span a lifetime.

It is consumerist spirituality at it's best. The machine has to always be producing new ideas and is proclaiming them as better every time. This does not rule out the fact that there really has never been a better time to find great deals on amazing headphones. It's like a sport with an elite goal of coming out winning. Just like in sports you have grand egos and condescending smerks, even though hidden. You really do have winners and losers at Head-Fi.

The losers are caught on the endless hampster wheel of worthless purchases and never happy. Never truly happy. These members are lost, and believe that the next purchase will be the last. It's like losing in Vegas and using borrowed money to maybe win in the end. In this situation we can guess the ending.

The winners end up making mistakes but take it in stride. They learn about the hobby and end up with a system over the course of years that makes them satisfied. They get into the music and find that instead of buying new headphones and amps, rotate the equipment they own and discover new things for free.

Of course this place keeps the lights on by pushing the hype, still it's patience, luck and conservative purchases within a members family budget which arrives at the true win in the end.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #23 of 271

"I thought I was done? I liked my system but.....I need maybe just to try one more amp? I will stop after this last purchase. I thought I knew what I was doing, but maybe not?"

"This is just all part of the hobby. When I started I couldn't even tell the difference between different components, now I know. I know more now. I'm a more experienced buyer and can't loose. I know what I'm doing now. This stuff is better now, technology is more advanced."

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #24 of 271
@Redcarmoose, Your words resonate with wisdom and truth, plus a welcome hint of comedic charm. Good stuff!

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #26 of 271
Classic stuff, Redcarmoose. Thanks for that.

I would add. It's not only a trap, it's a fiendish scam, betrayed upon me by punks and thugs from Cleveland or Utah. Please make it stop, someone, before it's too late!

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #27 of 271
Some of us were all coming to the conclusion that our gear ( amps and headphones) always sounds different to us. We literally started to explain how we were confused as the sound was changing. Some days good, some days bad, some days so,so.

We speculated that it was the different mastering of songs? We thought it may be just how different amp and headphone combinations do different genres.

The different genre abilities is something we all think we already know about, but there is something more. None of us can put a finger on it. In a scientific test you would think that the same song with the same system would always sound the same, to some extent they do. Still no one listens to the same song, over and over again. We listen to different music, but some days are just better than other. We seem to have no control over this phenomena and have even attributed it to mental states or mood swings.

The point here is if our systems sound different all the time, what's the point of buying more gear? The new gear is again going to sound good and bad over time. We get confused, which shows when members buy the same model of headphone 2 or 3 times over.

I figure get equipment and get close to perfection then just make due. Strangely the grass is always greener over in the neighbors yard? His car shines more too? What's with that?

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #29 of 271
I like this redcarmoose guy. He is a voice for reason in this world of chaos.

Still I'm the unrealistic crazy guy too! That's why I know about it. If I had control over my wife's purse I would be in trouble and have even more of this magic elixir made with plastic wood, steel and copper.

I once purchased a big amp and found it was easer to ask for forgiveness than permission. After I spilled the beans to her I was required to make a show worthy of an Oscar!

Lucky I have not pushed the forgiveness over permission trick more than a couple times.

But it's just blatant consumerism. We somehow think we're going to be happy down the road. We have been raised to be this way. The purchases circle around so many superficial value points.

The purchase defines who we are..........not.
We deserve it................................,,,,,,,maybe.
It's the last one..........,,lol..........,,,,,,,,,,,,,never.......ever ..........the last
It will be better?...........,,no the sound will just be different, a chance it will be better ........but perfect! ........HaHa. Never!
I know what I'm doing..........No you only think at this moment your making informed decisions. Head-Fi will inform you again on new stuff next year.
It's just a hobby exploring different sound signatures on my way to my own personal happiness in audio? .......uhh OK, if that works for you? Keep it up.
This is my true end-game system if I can live with the sound........................ahh .....really? Sure about that?

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #30 of 271
Because I know what I'm doing after all, buying this stuff makes me a special person.

I'm an elitist of sorts, actually a rare audiophile scientist with information not understood by the poor commen folk. .........you know the ones who shop at Best Buy.

This equipment makes me who I am, like a hot chick with a boob job only sexier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back