When is enough, enough?
Mar 25, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #31 of 271

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #32 of 271

I think some folks are collectors by nature.  In my case, I have a fairly serious collection of baseball cards and other sports memorabilia.  I think collectors who are into audio sometimes find themselves with more sets of headphones than they need or can fully enjoy.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #33 of 271
I think some folks are collectors by nature.  In my case, I have a fairly serious collection of baseball cards and other sports memorabilia.  I think collectors who are into audio sometimes find themselves with more sets of headphones than they need or can fully enjoy.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Excess is the American Dream. It's maybe only an issue if the buyer is never satisfied or happy and runs into money issues.

The theme is when is enough, enough. That said I maybe have a different view. I found if you get a pair of headphones and they don't work right away, later you may have equipment which sounds great with them. So mistakes are actually good in the end at times.

Some headphones I would never have purchased if I would have heard them for 10 minutes, still now I love them?

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #34 of 271
The other theme I see venerating is " We like to sound like we know what we are doing."

So much is trial and error. IMO

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #35 of 271
Don't you all feel a bit guilty sometimes? I'm not a bleeding-heart anything, but it's weird to me that I'm part of this headfi community where we spend so much money — so much money! — chasing relatively tiny sonic improvements ... when half the world is drowning in poverty-related misery. 

What I've spent, since the beginning of this year, on headphones, DACs, and amps is almost obscene to me, much less to people with a sick kid who don't know how to pay the hospital, or who have no access to clean drinking water, etc.

I hope my new-found passion for personal audio will burn a little lower soon, because while I do enjoy the hell out of what I've acquired, it would be insane — as well as detrimental to my financial health and my sense of proportion — to keep spending like this.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #36 of 271
One year my accountant told me I loaned over $70,000 to friends and relatives. Never does a week go by when someone doesn't ask me for a loan. t usually give money to almost every homeless person I see. When i give a tip most people eyes bug out. In 2015 I gave away over 60 headphones to friends, relatives, and even a few strangers. All used and unwanted items are donated to charity. 

Half the world in poverty is not my fault so no, I don't feel guilty. 

This hobby is the one thing I do for myself when the smoke clears.

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #37 of 271
Don't you all feel a bit guilty sometimes? I'm not a bleeding-heart anything, but it's weird to me that I'm part of this headfi community where we spend so much money — so much money! — chasing relatively tiny sonic improvements ... when half the world is drowning in poverty-related misery. 

What I've spent, since the beginning of this year, on headphones, DACs, and amps is almost obscene to me, much less to people with a sick kid who don't know how to pay the hospital, or who have no access to clean drinking water, etc.

I hope my new-found passion for personal audio will burn a little lower soon, because while I do enjoy the hell out of what I've acquired, it would be insane — as well as detrimental to my financial health and my sense of proportion — to keep spending like this.

Your right in that hobby is self-centered, elitist and snobby when you really look at it with the rose colored glasses removed.

Still I have worked my whole life and payed my share of taxes, interest and insurance premiums. At this point I actually wish I would have spent 2x more. I look forward to dropping a large amount on new equipment again someday.

You can't take it with you.

They asked people on their death bed what they would have done different. They all said take more risks, take more vacations and spend more time with loved ones.

The world has always been the way it is. My belief is to take care of those around you and have peace and prosperity in all directions near by.

Remembering the factor of diminishing returns is important. Viewing that $5000 amp is in reality only going to improve your sound by 10-20%. The improvements are never ever as big and shine more than the products themselves.

The thing to remember is these purchases trigger a chemical reaction in the brain. Very specific chemicals are released into the blood stream which effect our emotions and logic. Once the new toy thrill is gone those chemicals fade from being produced and the consumer then starts looking for a new fix. The pages of research and self verification starts all over again until the next "needed" purchase takes place.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-verification_theory

The hampster wheel is a chemically dependent experience for the member. This is true all the time, though many will deny it to themselves and others.

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #38 of 271

Thank you for your input. I think I understand my problem a bit better now. I went into headphones without having a goal or idea of what I am looking for. My first pair of 100+ headphone was an sennheiser amperior, from there I went to full size over ears, than to open. So over those time I had a few experience on how different type of headphone sound like, but I can not quite make up my mind on what I like best. I guess I need to sit down really ask my self what are my after, before I make the next purchase, if I do decide to continue. 

We all want to try out every pair of headphones, but practicality can come into play.  If you need isolation, there's not much practical point in buying a headphone that doesn't isolate well.  If you wear headphones for hours at a time, maybe a headphone that weighs 18 ounces or that has uncomfortable pads that can't be swapped isn't the best idea.  

I'm thinking of a certain headphone I've wanted to try, and I might even love it if I tried it, but the factory cable on it is built terribly, and replacement cables are ridiculously priced.  Not very practical.  

I've bought my share of headphones, but patience was involved in waiting for great deals.  And, really, I'd probably be 85% happy with any of half a dozen $40 and under headphones I could name.  Add modifications to that, and that 85% can go higher.  I haven't heard the "this headphone costs more than some people's cars" flagship type headphones though, so maybe I'm missing out.  

Remembering the factor of diminishing returns is important. Viewing that $5000 amp is in reality only going to improve your sound by 10-20%. 

10-20% improvement seems like a lot, actually. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #39 of 271
I don't know when enough is enough, I just want to listen different sound signatures, different brands just because I love headphones and I love music. Dacs and amps are not so important for me but there are so many beautiful headphones out there. But hey, my hi-fi system is enough for me, I don't want to change speakers and electronics. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #41 of 271

There's another theme that pervades the hobby in my view and that is the substantial subjectivity in appreciation of audio gear.  One only has to read the reviews of most of the high-end phones to see all the varied reactions.  Again, I'm not suggesting that this is a flaw in the hobby, just a fact of life.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #42 of 271
We all want to try out every pair of headphones, but practicality can come into play.  If you need isolation, there's not much practical point in buying a headphone that doesn't isolate well.  If you wear headphones for hours at a time, maybe a headphone that weighs 18 ounces or that has uncomfortable pads that can't be swapped isn't the best idea.  

I'm thinking of a certain headphone I've wanted to try, and I might even love it if I tried it, but the factory cable on it is built terribly, and replacement cables are ridiculously priced.  Not very practical.  

I've bought my share of headphones, but patience was involved in waiting for great deals.  And, really, I'd probably be 85% happy with any of half a dozen $40 and under headphones I could name.  Add modifications to that, and that 85% can go higher.  I haven't heard the "this headphone costs more than some people's cars" flagship type headphones though, so maybe I'm missing out.  

10-20% improvement seems like a lot, actually. :D

That's the thing. Live a middle class life, worship a couple of reviews with good photos on Head-Fi. A couple of months or years goes by and you buy that amp.

The effect is a rush of endorphin and excitement. When it arrives the weight and look starts the placebo effect. Even with 10% improvement your mind tunnel visions into that 10% making the perception 50% then add the endorphin, adrenal gland secretions and it's no wonder reviews are slightly off. Often different is also perceived as improvement.

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #44 of 271
Another spot on analysis right there. 

RedCar, do you have a youtube channel? An internet blog? You have the wisdom of guru. Will you adopt me?

Haha, your maybe getting how I'm so facinated by our perception of sound quality? It's not just whiskey, copper and plastic which effects our emotions.

In fact the chemical response probably comes closer to what happens on a first date in high school?

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #45 of 271
Sure, but you get the same rush from almost any pricey luxury-good purchase, no? There are people who are addicted to acquiring camera gear, shoes, fountain pens, handbags, fine wines, rare watches, etc. What makes the pursuit on this forum any different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back