When is enough, enough?
Apr 6, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #166 of 271
Yes, your right. I really meant a list of lost life forms. I did see a list once showed the insects and plant life along with the animal species we lost by the year, going back the last 5 years. It was dramatic.

The fact that we lose a whole list of plant life every year. I'll look for a list of that. It's dramatic.

http://www.petermaas.nl/extinct/lists/mostrecent.htm

Yes, insects take a big hit. But they have millions of species to start off with, and who knows how many lurk in the forests undiscovered? Not surprising that they have adapted and survived this long.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #167 of 271
aka. novelty-seeking. or is it mouse-hunting?  :rolleyes:

Well that's the thing, being a hunter and gatherer species before settling down, that nature is apart of who we are as organisms. For us to be complacent means to possibly die, if you go by some folks theories.

Finding the possibility of new and better headphones is maybe part of our instinct?

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #168 of 271
Yes, insects take a big hit. But they have millions of species to start off with, and who knows how many lurk in the forests undiscovered? Not surprising that they have adapted and survived this long.

Totally true, and is the fact that many insects are undocumented to start with. That was an amazing realization for me. I guess my simple education had me somehow believing we had documented everything, but it's just not the case. Also I never meant to emphasize that man was the cause. For all we know life forms have always come and gone. I'm actually from the school of thought that the world can regenerate very fast. On the jungle island I live the jungle takes back houses in just a matter of years. I see it all the time. Some stuff will last, but it's amazing how fast the jungle invades what man has made.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #169 of 271
Finding the possibility of new and better headphones is maybe part of our instinct?

Can't be -- HPs did not become ingrained into our biological psyches in the time of hunters-gatherers. It's more a 20th-century extension, man-made of course, of that naturalistic h-g instinct that took root many millennia ago. Shopaholicism is another term for it.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #170 of 271
Totally true, and is the fact that many insects are undocumented to start with. That was an amazing realization for me. I guess my simple education had me somehow believing we had documented everything, but it's just not the case. Also I never meant to emphasize that man was the cause. For all we know life forms have always come and gone. I'm actually from the school of thought that the world can regenerate very fast. On the jungle island I live the jungle takes back houses in just a matter of years. I see it all the time. Some stuff will last, but it's amazing how fast the jungle invades what man has made.

I'm impressed by the biosphere too. Somewhere, a cure for cancer will be found inside some insect organs deep within the rainforests somewhere.....

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #171 of 271
Yes, your right. I really meant a list of lost life forms. I did see a list once showed the insects and plant life along with the animal species we lost by the year, going back the last 5 years. It was dramatic.

The fact that we lose a whole list of plant life every year. I'll look for a list of that. It's dramatic.

http://www.petermaas.nl/extinct/lists/mostrecent.htm
Edit:

http://eol.org/collections/55306

No plants, no habitat. No habitat, no animals....

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #172 of 271
Can't be -- HPs did not become ingrained into our biological psyches in the time of hunters-gatherers. It's more a 20th-century extension, man-made of course, of that naturalistic h-g instinct that took root many millennia ago. Shopaholicism is another term for it.

I have always thought there were two kinds of gals, though I could be wrong, maybe their is only one shopping profile for the opposite sex. First off type one are domestic engineers. When they shop they put frivolous items like diamond jewelry aside and think about the household. They get towels and food. They also love any style of kitchen tools.

The second style love cloths and diamonds, less grounded, they are maybe slightly more sexy and seem to concern themselves less with domestic responsibilities. Just an observation.

That said shopping can have two sides. A needed side and a ridiculous side? IMO

When I used to collect records it felt like hunting. There was the obsession with the goal of finding rare and strange records. In the city environment it required going to thrift stores in the ghetto side of town. There the local tribe could possibly be hostile to a different tribe coming in on their territory. Knowing the visitor was maybe less equipped to deal with an attack made him pray. Thus to go in and still come out with cool records was a bit of a game. Same as going into Los Angeles late at night to find records at inner city record stores. You knew you were from the Lilly White suburbs if you became shocked by the bullet-proof glass at Burger King. " Come-on it's not a bank, why do they need bullet-proof glass?"

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #173 of 271
I'm impressed by the biosphere too. Somewhere, a cure for cancer will be found inside some insect organs deep within the rainforests somewhere.....

Cancer is something, anyone from the 1970s remembers when it was rare. Now it seems like it ends up in more people. My Wife's boss and my Dad have had it. That's why we do need to enjoy our music and new headphones.

Life is risky! And no one makes it out alive!

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #174 of 271
Cancer is something, anyone from the 1970s remembers when it was rare. Now it seems like it ends up affecting more people. My wife's boss and my Dad have had it. That's why we do need to enjoy our music and new headphones.

Life is risky! And none make it out alive!

Cancer is cell growth (cell division) gone amok. It really is like a tubed amp on steroids (= solid state lol). The joke among cell biologists for many years, was that "Yes, we have cured cancer. But only in lab organisms -- not humans".  There is a world of difference between cultured cells from a lab mouse and a human cell in vivo. There is never enough funding for cancer research (or brain research) -- a bit like hi-end audio in some ways -- answering one question unveils ten more.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #175 of 271
Apr 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #176 of 271
One might say that we are "devolving" as a species. Microsecond attention spans cultivated by the internet, mono-syllabic vocabularies (grunts?), and hyper-aggressive stances towards our fellow beings (the rise of DT in US politics).....

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #177 of 271

Cancer is cell growth (cell division) gone amok. It really is like a tubed amp on steroids (= solid state lol). The joke among cell biologists for many years, was that "Yes, we have cured cancer. But only in lab organisms -- not humans".  There is a world of difference between cultured cells from a lab mouse and a human cell in vivo. There is never enough funding for cancer research (or brain research) -- a bit like hi-end audio in some ways -- answering one question unveils ten more.

That and our understanding of cancer has dramatically changed since the 70's.  We have cyclic lifestyle related cancers. Cervical being a prime example. Identified in the 70's and linked to lifestyle it was all but eradicated in the 80's and 90's only to make a significant statistcal comeback.

Prostate cancer was not really a consideration until it became the norm to start looking for it during autopsies. At that point the stats became alarming as to how many men it was affecting. Now the stats have settled from the alarmist trend they set and early diagnoses in young men is monitored rather than radically treated as was done in the past 20 years.

If only we could pursue that massive cell growth and engineer it to regrow damaged organs.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #178 of 271

Years ago I used to do photography work for the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

They seemed to always have these gene study plate photographs they wanted me to copy. Being that each cell in the human body has anywhere between 25K and 35K genes, there is a lot to study. If anything it seems we will learn about all kinds of stuff before there is a cure for cancer.

I would guess that the more high profile the findings these research centers publicize, the more money they generate their way? It seems we are learning more about ourselves than just a cure for cancer.

Maybe audio ends up as a way for us to learn about ourselves. As in many hobbies, it ends up an interesting way to experience life.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #179 of 271
  One might say that we are "devolving" as a species. Microsecond attention spans cultivated by the internet, mono-syllabic vocabularies (grunts?), and hyper-aggressive stances towards our fellow beings (the rise of DT in US politics).....

Mono Syllibic? In 10 years time language will have become universal across all countries. The only hitch is it will require a smartphone and 10gb of emoticons.

DT I never made the association before, but perhaps overabuse of alcohol is in fact a contributing factor in his "Triumph of the Swill"

Still, We elected a hipster who thinks he can spend his way to economic prosperity so we are in a legless stance on critiquing others:).

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #180 of 271

If only we could pursue that massive cell growth and engineer it to regrow damaged organs.

They're making very good progress on this.

As a sidenote, this is a fascinating volume to read about the Future of Medicine:

http://medicine.utoronto.ca/sites/default/files/UTMed_S15_22_FIN_R3_RGB_MQ_high.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back