When did you lose your Ear Virginity?
Jun 6, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #46 of 127
Quote:

When did you lose your Ear Virginity?

Does rape by bad equipment count? Either way...I don't want to talk about it, wasn't pretty...

basshead.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #48 of 127
i had the hottest girlfriend last summer. my eargasm was when I first listened to a pair of ER-6i and my girlfriend nibbled my ear as a joke/experiment to see if the SQ got better.

That situation got sticky real fast... but let me tell ya. nothing beats hot girls and hot earphones.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #49 of 127
My first "nice" pair was the Sony MDR-DS5000 headphones. They are cordless, but not wireless. They have a virtual Dolby Digital circuit in them to listen to Dolby Digital from movies. They really impressed me at the time. Now I can't go back to them. They sound way to muddy.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #50 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does rape by bad equipment count? Either way...I don't want to talk about it, wasn't pretty...

basshead.gif

You don't have to talk about it............though there are certain therapy groups.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #51 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audirephilos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have to talk about it............though there are certain therapy groups.
wink.gif

We are that therapy group.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #52 of 127
Musically? About 9, when I started playing clarinet. I got to hear what instruments really sounded like. My aunt and uncle started taking me to classical concerts then, as well. Moreover, around the same time, I met a good friend whose father was a hard-core audiophile. We weren't allowed to touch the gear (and we didn't), but were welcome to stare and he was happy to play it if we asked.

As for gear, I got a pair of MDR-V6 in undergrad... I was probably around 20. Got pulled into tubes, antique radios and amateur radio around 25. That led to building DIY ribbon loudspeakers at 28. Those ribbons really opened me up to the hobby. The bass response falls off around 350Hz, but they're flat and creepily real above that. And the dipole radiation freaks out first time listeners.

Anyhow, I got a catalog with the HD-650 in it around December 2005. So I bought them and a Creek OBH-11. That sounded great, so I searched around to see if anyone else liked headphones....

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #53 of 127
Back when I was in high school (circa 1994) my folks bought me a set of Koss that bear a resemblance to today's Portapros. I loved those cans and listened the hell out of them. The cables started going bad after about a year and I got rid of them. About 2 1/2 years ago I finally got another good set of 'phones, some Grado SR80s. Those rejuvinated my long dead love of headphones and recently I found you good people. I've got a set of ES7s en route to me right now, and as soon as I get some cash that's headed my way I'm planning on getting some DT770s and a MisterX XP.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #54 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are that therapy group.

So......how do you feel about that?
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #55 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Musically? About 9, when I started playing clarinet. I got to hear what instruments really sounded like. My aunt and uncle started taking me to classical concerts then, as well. Moreover, around the same time, I met a good friend whose father was a hard-core audiophile. We weren't allowed to touch the gear (and we didn't), but were welcome to stare and he was happy to play it if we asked.

As for gear, I got a pair of MDR-V6 in undergrad... I was probably around 20. Got pulled into tubes, antique radios and amateur radio around 25. That led to building DIY ribbon loudspeakers at 28. Those ribbons really opened me up to the hobby. The bass response falls off around 350Hz, but they're flat and creepily real above that. And the dipole radiation freaks out first time listeners.

Anyhow, I got a catalog with the HD-650 in it around December 2005. So I bought them and a Creek OBH-11. That sounded great, so I searched around to see if anyone else liked headphones....

So yet another one...... who's cherry was popped by the MDR V6s huh?
smily_headphones1.gif

sounds like you've been through some experiments? cool man!

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #56 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckdpe1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back when I was in high school (circa 1994) my folks bought me a set of Koss that bear a resemblance to today's Portapros. I loved those cans and listened the hell out of them. The cables started going bad after about a year and I got rid of them. About 2 1/2 years ago I finally got another good set of 'phones, some Grado SR80s. Those rejuvinated my long dead love of headphones and recently I found you good people. I've got a set of ES7s en route to me right now, and as soon as I get some cash that's headed my way I'm planning on getting some DT770s and a MisterX XP.

Sounds like we're heading the same direction. Check my sig!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #57 of 127
When I found my Fathers AKG K340 and plugged them our home audio system. We always had some expensive speakers and such (not sure of models, since I don't have them here, and I never bothered to ask/look), but I never knew what these phones were capable of until I tried them out.

I didn't even realize that they were valuable until I found this place.

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #58 of 127
i lost my ear virginity when an old gem (plantronics 90) finally made its way out of my life.

i sought another... and found this place... and got myself some hd555s.

this place resembles a whorehouse if you ask me!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #59 of 127
The closest was when I listened to a stock OII system last year -- not the greatest setup but I'm sure it's far better than most systems out there. It had the nicest air, effortlessly playing Yo Yo Ma performing Bach, but it's still not convincing as a (used) $2000 + system.

I've never had a headphone "deflowering," I think speakers would do better.

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #60 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audirephilos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So......how do you feel about that?
evil_smiley.gif

VERY well.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back