What's your view on custom headphone cables?
Sep 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #646 of 881
QRomo wrote:

There's no "seventy percent requirement" that I'm aware of.

And then you write.....

This works out to 70-80% for a smallish number of trials, but goes down as you increase the number of trials.

Which is the case of cable DBT tests, limited number of participants, small numbers of trials.

...you can expect to score 50% on average by just flipping a coin, so right away the threshold will be greater than 50%.

Yes, I'm "painfully" aware of the above point.  The pain is because the example you and others give is so patently inaccurate on it's face, yet "science," out of convenience (self-serving,) has embraced this inaccurate standard so thoroughly that it's become unassailably dogmatic in nature.  First, the human sensory system is an analogue system that's "fatigable."  What this means is that as background noise increases, the human sensory system will detect, accurately, at a declining rate, for many rational reasons, to the point of fail.  What this means is that the human sensory system can "reliably" detect at say the ten, twenty or thirty percent rate and still be considered properly functioning.  Yet despite this agreed upon point, the anti-cable crowd has turned the human sensory system into a digital, on/off system with the coin flip analogy, which by it's nature, totally mischaracterizes the analogue nature of the human sensory system for the purpose of solidifying their thesis.  Ya gotta love dogma.

In fact, one could argue that by telling the subject that each cable is different from each other that you create a minor expectation bias that could influence how the subject evaluates each cable.

That's the audio mirage I write of in that if you tell someone there's a difference, when there isn't a difference, the test subject is going be looking for a difference, even if a difference doesn't exist; mirage.  All of this comes under the heading of trickery or skulduggery.  Being dishonest is easy.  That's why there's so much of it.  Being open, truthful and fair is difficult, that's why it's in such limited supply.

I doubt this alters your stance at all, but I thought I'd point out that the "seventy percent requirement" is not some arbitrary number chosen to guarantee a fail.

I don't see it as an arbitrary number in the sense of grabbing numbers out of thin air, but I do see it's inclusion as a deceptive qualifier that will most assuredly, assure fail.  Why?  If our senses are by genetic design, created to be dependable down to the lower percentage ranges (including consideration for fatigue factors) and the survival of our species was dependent for hundreds of thousands of years on the analogue nature of our sensory system, despite these lower percentages of accuracy, then any evaluation, must fully take this point, into consideration.  Sans doing this makes the data evaluation protocol blatantly bias in nature and any conclusions derived are invalid on their face.

The short of the long story above, yes, I know it "appears" that I'm trying to sweep water uphill with a downhill wind.

redface.gif

However, it doesn't follow that any attempt to explore the subject matter is some sort of ego trip.

Considering the level of vitriol, you can bet your last dollar that ego is the motive behind the scenes.  Now if the vitriol were removed, or was nonexistent from the beginning and was simply a question of intellectual curiosity, I might be inclined to agree but far too much energy is continually being put forth by others to prove that cables guys are just a bunch of mirage loving, placebo filled, psycho junkies for this to be anything less than an ego play.

Anytime a large number of people's expectations differ significantly from scientific expectation I'm interested to know why. There's usually a lot to be learned from both sides while trying to figure it all out.

Hopefully my above has aided this quest of yours.

FWIW, I can't do many elongated tit-for-tat exchanges.  Yes, they better convey ideas, but yes, I'm also limited in the amount of time I can give to responses of this kind.  And agreed, limiting doesn't do the conversation any good as I do like to give thoughtful responses to help expand on ideas.  Yes, I know I'm flying in the face of convention.  Yes, I know I'm in conflict with entrenched dogma.  No, I have neither will or resources to move this debate forward other than to thoughtfully try and expand on what I'm trying to share.  So in the end, considering the conundrum, I've got to go with the admittedly weak position of buy the cables, don't buy the cables and let people make their own decisions based upon what works for them.

atsmile.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #648 of 881
cable material is always going to matter when carrying a direct current, but only as distance of transmission increases and will only become noticeable over many miles. That said
I believe there are a couple good reasons to switch cables, SQ is NOT one of them. Comfort, durability, length, and microphonics are all fantastic reasons to switch cables. My biggest argument here is for the Ultimate Ears custom cables. The westone braided cable is a great upgrade for any UE headphone just because it is a much more supple, lightweight, well-made, less tangle prone wire, and it does GREATLY decrease microphonics. The >$100 null audio options seem terribly overpriced too me.

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #649 of 881

Quote:
The switchbox is a non-issue.  Most of you are running cables into a switchbox inside your gear.  If using a switch obfuscates the sound, then anyone claiming to hear a difference in using a cable must be imagining the difference.

If a simple switchbox is going to be assumed to degrade sound quality (could it not be the other way around and improve it?) then so must all the wires, resistors etc in the amp.

This is becoming a bit silly IMHO. We are now suppose to believe, (without any evidence whatsoever) that headphone cables make 1% of a difference, that being able to detect that difference as little as 30% of the time is acceptable and a switchbox cannot be used in a blind test because it will supposedly have an effect that may remove the 1% difference that can only be detected 30% of the time. Add that to the idea that a volume change is a change then the pro side are now at the position where we can give the following advice to those who ask if it is worth buying an aftermarket cable;

it is worth it because you will be able to detect a 1% difference about a third of the time and that difference may just be a change in the volume which can be replicated by adjusting your volume control. Please also note if you use any kind of switchbox the cable is likely not going to work anymore.

Good luck with selling any more headphone cables.

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #650 of 881

Quote:
cable material is always going to matter when carrying a direct current, but only as distance of transmission increases and will only become noticeable over many miles. That said
I believe there are a couple good reasons to switch cables, SQ is NOT one of them. Comfort, durability, length, and microphonics are all fantastic reasons to switch cables. My biggest argument here is for the Ultimate Ears custom cables. The westone braided cable is a great upgrade for any UE headphone just because it is a much more supple, lightweight, well-made, less tangle prone wire, and it does GREATLY decrease microphonics. The >$100 null audio options seem terribly overpriced too me.

Now that is a great recommendation for an after market headphone cable. As far as I figure out they cost £20, which is also worthwhile of a recommendation.

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #651 of 881
Quote:
I think your assumptions may be simplistic or presumptuous in some cases.

Not necessarily.  When you connect a cable to an amp, there are all sorts of parts inside.  If having an external box with a selector switch "ruins" the sound of a cable, then anyone who connects an aftermarket cable to an amp that uses a selector switch should not be able to hear the effects of that cable.

If inexpensive wire used inside a switchbox somehow ruins the sound of a cable, then what about the inexpensive wire inside of an amp?  Shouldn't that also ruin the sound of the cable?

You don't have to parse things down to the finest points to find contradictions.  Cable believers claim a lot of benefits from cables by plugging them into all manner of gear.  Why would an Alps switchpot not ruin the sound of a cable in an amp while ruining the sound outside of the amp?  It's just another lame, slippery excuse.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #652 of 881

Quote:
Not necessarily.  When you connect a cable to an amp, there are all sorts of parts inside.  If having an external box with a selector switch "ruins" the sound of a cable, then anyone who connects an aftermarket cable to an amp that uses a selector switch should not be able to hear the effects of that cable.

If inexpensive wire used inside a switchbox somehow ruins the sound of a cable, then what about the inexpensive wire inside of an amp?  Shouldn't that also ruin the sound of the cable?

You don't have to parse things down to the finest points to find contradictions.  Cable believers claim a lot of benefits from cables by plugging them into all manner of gear.  Why would an Alps switchpot not ruin the sound of a cable in an amp while ruining the sound outside of the amp?  It's just another lame, slippery excuse.

You're still going to get a change in sound then. The cable is going to change whatever is given to it, just like headphones will sound different depending on the source; it's all about what's GIVEN to the piece of equipment as to how it changes the sound.

You can change the internals of the amps and switchboxes or whatever but the cable is still going to change the sound. Whether you think it is worth it is up to you though. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #653 of 881

Quote:
You're still going to get a change in sound then. The cable is going to change whatever is given to it, just like headphones will sound different depending on the source; it's all about what's GIVEN to the piece of equipment as to how it changes the sound.

You can change the internals of the amps and switchboxes or whatever but the cable is still going to change the sound. Whether you think it is worth it is up to you though. 

Then there should still be a change in sound between different cables with a switch.  They should still be different, even if there is an extra component.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to use aftermarket cables with an ordinary preamp.  If sending signals into a switch means that the difference is lost, then any amp or preamp with a selector would negate the effect, right?

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #654 of 881
I think they are generally overpriced,  I do like the idea of being able to swap cables especially for something more durable or going the opposite way more flexible.  Tangible situations~

Also if you plan on re-wiring the entire headphone ecosystem to support say a balanced amp.  Problem is sometimes it gets so pricey you are almost better off buying new headphones altogether. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #655 of 881
Quote:
beeman458 said:

Sorry, no line leveling allowed cause that's a difference.  Just like no switch boxes allowed as that adds the character of the switch box to the mix.

Quote:
kwkarth said:

I think your assumptions may be simplistic or presumptuous in some cases.

So if I understand you well, there's no way to actually test an IC, even a sighted one. Since most people use a preamp with a source selector and a volume control, it must affect the sound so much that the difference brought buy the cable may become inaudible. Likewise event if you use your IC on a power amp without pre-amping, you'd still get at least a few resistors, caps and god forbid, some printed circuit on PBC, negating drowning the change brought by the cable in a sea of other influences. It's nice to know that I won't have to worry about ICs anymore (not that I really did before), thanks!

With less irony this time, one should consider this: if a cable change is audible, it needs to remains audible even when there's a preamp downstream, seeing that a any preamp with a source selector has the equivalent of a switchbox, it seems to me that using a switchbox in Uncle Erik's test is perfectly justifed, it only reflects the normal conditions of use of an IC. In fact, people almost never use ICs without a switchbox downstream.

@ Uncle Erik, psychologically speaking, if you used a preamp with the right number of inputs, I suspect there woudl be less people protesting... I said less, I expect some will say that the preamp was of insufficient quality to preserve the differences of he cables

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #657 of 881
beeman can you please list the gear you use now and have used in the past?  I'm curious and it's not in your profile

With all due respect to your question, there are many things I don't list as to me, that's all ego.  Good gear, bad gear, to me, questions like this are fishing for an ah-ha moment.  To be honest, I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to ask this question.  In response, let's assume I've never held a piece of stereo gear in my hand, irrespective, all my points are both valid and germane to the question.

And FWIW, surprise, surprise, for playback purposes, I'm not a fan of separate pre-amps as to me, it's just another piece of gear (not to mention the expense and clutter of the necessary gaggle of cables) that can (will) get in the way of the signal.  Pre-amps and interconnects, as much as some would like, are not a zero sum game.

A point the anti-cable crowd has failed to address is the reverse nature of their auto-suggested, placebo ladened quest.  From what has been written, in the beginning, many heard a difference.  And they enjoyed the differences they were hearing.  And on a lark, took a test designed to guarantee fail and now erroneously "believe," due to auto-suggestion and pseudo placebos, that a difference doesn't exist; mind over matter.  What they don't get, they've been hoodwinked and bamboozled by bogus tests and agenda oriented test givers; lack of neutrality, bias.  A bogus test stole the bliss of their listening experience and they don't realize it as they "think" they've been shown the light.  It chaffs their hide because they can't drag others down in the same way so they can validate the error of their way; ego.

"I was able and now I can't, therefore, even though you still can, I can't allow it."

Rational people say: "You can hear a difference?  Good for you."  And they get on down the road.  Irrational people say; "You can't hear a difference and I'm going go out of my way to prove to you that you can't hear a difference."  And they stand and fight.  For what?  To take another's Kodachrome away, like was done to them?

The anti-cable crowd doesn't do well with flip-sides of coins.

popcorn.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #658 of 881

Quote:
beeman can you please list the gear you use now and have used in the past?  I'm curious and it's not in your profile

With all due respect to your question, there are many things I don't list as to me, that's all ego.  Good gear, bad gear, to me, questions like this are fishing for an ah-ha moment.  To be honest, I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to ask this question.  In response, let's assume I've never held a piece of stereo gear in my hand, irrespective, all my points are both valid and germane to the question.

Strangely I agree with you here. The "what have you got" is a typical audiophile "gotcha" trick and I do not think it is valid as an argumentation device. The laws of physics are indifferent to item cost or reputation.

And FWIW, surprise, surprise, for playback purposes, I'm not a fan of separate pre-amps as to me, it's just another piece of gear (not to mention the expense and clutter of the necessary gaggle of cables) that can (will) get in the way of the signal.  Pre-amps and interconnects, as much as some would like, are not a zero sum game.

I think that falls squarely into the "it depends" bucket. There are potential downsides to having too many things in the same box such as inteference or power switching surely ?

A point the anti-cable crowd has failed to address is the reverse nature of their auto-suggested, placebo ladened quest.  From what has been written, in the beginning, many heard a difference.  And they enjoyed the differences they were hearing.  And on a lark, took a test designed to guarantee fail and now erroneously "believe," due to auto-suggestion and pseudo placebos, that a difference doesn't exist; mind over matter.  What they don't get, they've been hoodwinked and bamboozled by bogus tests and agenda oriented test givers; lack of neutrality, bias.  A bogus test stole the bliss of their listening experience and they don't realize it as they "think" they've been shown the light.  It chaffs their hide because they can't drag others down in the same way so they can validate the error of their way; ego.

The DBT test is not designed to ensure failure, it has no agenda, it is just a family of techniques that are as good or bad as the administrators and the exact protocol used and of course the magnitude of difference under study. There are numerous positive DBTs out there. Clark has done some, matrixhii have done some, Nousaine has done some, Kruger has done some, Blech and Yang had some positive DBTs. A recent peer rviewed AES journal paper had some positive results on sampling rates (44.1 vs 88.2). I've done my own DBTs on codecs and filters and several here have positively DBT'd lossless vs 320K. 

"I was able and now I can't, therefore, even though you still can, I can't allow it."

Rational people say: "You can hear a difference?  Good for you."  And they get on down the road.  Irrational people say; "You can't hear a difference and I'm going go out of my way to prove to you that you can't hear a difference."  And they stand and fight.  For what?  To take another's Kodachrome away, like was done to them?

No, rational people who can hear a difference may also ask "is this difference real", I cannot hear above 15K but I do not think that others cannot, that is absurd.

The anti-cable crowd doesn't do well with flip-sides of coins.

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back