Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't you mean "whisky, whisky, whisky?"

wink.gif

Oh... my... goodness...

I'm quite embarrassed right now.
redface.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #77 of 99
I am inTerested in trying absinthe and looking to order from alandia.de. But can anyone recommend me what would be good for first timer? Because I heard that they taste very bitter.

I understand I'll need absinthe spoon and cup but is there anything else I need to know before I purchase absinthe?

Thanks in advance

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #79 of 99
I really like Fris vodka for an affordable "go to" vodka. It has a nice smooth taste, works great as a mixer and wont break the bank. It's better than a lot of other brands in the price range imo.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #81 of 99
Well, ok, I have some cash for beer, can't go dry! I've been really liking Sleemans Clear of late.

12699.jpg

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #82 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmednInsane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am inTerested in trying absinthe and looking to order from alandia.de. But can anyone recommend me what would be good for first timer? Because I heard that they taste very bitter.

I understand I'll need absinthe spoon and cup but is there anything else I need to know before I purchase absinthe?

Thanks in advance

You need to know that even though you can buy "absinthe" in the US now, you still can't actually buy absinthe in the US.

There has been no change in the law regarding the importation of absinthe.

What has happened, is our ability to measure the presence of thujone has gotten way better.

Title 21 of the US Code states that spirits sold in the US must be certified "Thujone Free". This has not changed.

But the thing about the FDA is, they have enough scientists working there that they admit that "free" doesn't mean 0%. You never get to 0% of anything you're trying to keep out of anything.

Absinthe in the US is considered to be "thujone free" if it can be proven to contain less than 10 parts per million of thujone.

Technology has advanced to the point where it is now quite easy to prove that a bottle of really expensive sambuca that was briefly stirred with a stick of wormwood has, say, 9 parts per million of thujone.

Which is ok, because it turns out that thujone doesn't have psychedelic effects anyway. People just get real messed up on alcohol when drinking this expensive sambuca. Way back in the day, they were probably getting messed up on alcohol and chloral hydrate.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #85 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to know that even though you can buy "absinthe" in the US now, you still can't actually buy absinthe in the US.

Wrong.

There are plenty of absinthes available in the US that contain Grande Wormwood.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #86 of 99
I don't know if it's my favorite Yet but I'm about to open up a bottle of Gande Absente
(138 proof) brought right here in pa.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #88 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrong.

There are plenty of absinthes available in the US that contain Grande Wormwood.

You didn't pay any attention to my explanation.

Absinthe legally sold in the US is absinthe that meets the legal definition of "Thujone Free".

Which means that there's virtually no wormwood in it at all. But "virtually" is a maleable enough definition that, technically speaking, there is _some_. Less than 10 parts per million.

If you have a liter of legal absinthe, there is less than 10 miligrams of thujone in the whole bottle.

Historically speaking, there should be about 130mg of thujone in there.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #89 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without getting too silly in price, I love these two:

f02_6.jpg
johnnie-black.jpg

Canadian Whiskey and blended scotch. Awfully tame and mainstream.
tongue_smile.gif

As for me I like the Aberlour single malt I have here.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #90 of 99
I'm a cheap guy.

Sailor Jerry with some Pepsi/Dr. Pepper is wonderful.

That, or Maker's Mark.

Nylan

EDIT: I'm drunk and didn't realize I already posted on this thread way back when. W00t, full circle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back