What's with the ES7?
Mar 5, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #31 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-ES7 were around for quite a while already to fall under this category. But for new comers praised in a single thread, the "Emperor's new cloth" syndrome works exactly as you think. People gets over enthusiastic about their new toys, esp. if the best thing they've heard before was some no-name Sony or Boss.
You should also be selective by filtering out from whom the praise comes and always trust your own ears, if you can.
rolleyes.gif

I feel like you are taking this thread a little too personally. He likes what he likes, he hates what he hates. What's it to you? Just ignore the thread. What's with the eye rolling and sarcasm?

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #32 of 77
I owned REAL ES7s that I bought from Amazon (I think Superpredator has them now). They sounded absolutely HORRIBLE to me out of the box, very snarly colored mids that reminded me of the 70s era "professional" speakers like JBLs, EVs and Tannoys that the Japanese just loved to death, while American audiophiles went for the "English" sound of IMF, Spendor, KEF etc.

While I don't believe in burn in I gave it a try with these cans because (almost) everyone here praised them so highly, and because they looked so cool. I burnt them in for at least 300 hours and tried again. Same unlistenable snarly sound. You can hear it easily with white noise, it sounds like a cheap paper cone midrange.

This is like falling in love with an incredibly beautiful girl, in spite of the fact that she's a complete bi***. It happens all the time. Your friends can see it, but all you can see it the exterior beauty.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #33 of 77
Just goes to show: To each his own.

I have both the ES7s and the D1001s and prefer the sound of the ES7s. If is wasn't for the comfort, I'd sell the Denon's.

Mooch

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #34 of 77
These improve hugely with even basic amplification.

I did a side by side of running it through the ipod->lod->pint (xp)
versus the ipod->es7
It was a huge difference!
The bass seriously tightened as did the whole rest of the spectrum. It will be powered to regular levels by a portable player, but it isn't what it needs.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #36 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricepicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel like you are taking this thread a little too personally. He likes what he likes, he hates what he hates. What's it to you? Just ignore the thread. What's with the eye rolling and sarcasm?

Not sure where you get that from. You probably want to reread my post, careful this time.
Didn't I say 'always trust your own ear, if you can', which implies do not fall for the hype even if it comes from so called "credible source", as we all have different tastes, and if you don't like something don't try to convince yourself otherwise.
None of the cans under discussion is the last word in refinements and not even close to big guns like HD650, K701, DT880, ATH high-end models, etc. you should have reasonable expectations as there are a lot of trade offs made for portability, compatibility with non-amplified sources, and economy for the target price point. But entitling just one out of the bunch as some sort of bad seed or second grade just because it didn't suit your personal taste is plain unfair.
And another thing I wanted to point out, ATH-ES7 are way past FOTM period, for most who still keeps them they are proven by time already.
wink.gif

And the last thing, everyone is free to post whatever he/she wants, but if you have nothing but emotional comments, please question yourself if you are actually contributing anything to the discussion. Thx.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #37 of 77
I don't really think I am a audiophile. I love music and listen to a lot and love hearing it played well in decent equipment. I am learning more about headphones and amps all the time and it's fun.

I got the es7's for portable use and they sound real good to me. I am using a creative zen and a go vibe petite and also have go vibe 7 to compare. petite sounds better to me.

I do hear these as colored and I have other headphones to compare. But listening to mp3's on my portable it just sounds so good. As I said I recognise it is colored but it's way ok with me.
smily_headphones1.gif

If they sound lousy to you it's either bad matching of source or you want another sound. Nothing with wanting another sound but these actually make mp3's and older classic rock sound so good. My better headphones reveal way to much and I don't enjoy the music. Ultimately headphones are to enjoy music with. Right?
wink.gif

If these was seriously lousy I would not want these. So it comes down to personal preferences I suppose. Some people just have different tastes and it will always be that way.

I find it interesting to hear certain descriptions though. I can kind of hear what they are describing but what most people are really describing is there taste. It's all quite interesting though hehehe

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #38 of 77
Let's all take a chill pill and relax.
wink.gif

We have to agree to disagree.
smily_headphones1.gif

Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the pot 9 days old.
biggrin.gif

BTW, all of you guys who love the ES7, pls PM me if you know of a full sized can that sounds like the ES7.
smily_headphones1.gif

My search continues...
wink.gif

cool.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #39 of 77
Sorry for not responding earlier. I've been checking in on this thread periodically today but didn't have enough time to respond to some comments.

I really used a poor choice of words in my original post. The es7 is definitely not terrible and they sound pretty decent. I just compared them to my sister's fc7, and although I think the fc7 has a more balanced sound, the es7 is clearly fuller and bigger sounding (albeit with slightly bloated bass). To be more accurate, I'm just very disappointed. Since joining head-fi years ago, I've probably been through 50+ headphones ranging from $9-$280, including almost all the popular ones around the $100 mark. I think the es7 would be great at around $60, but I think it's noticeably outclassed by the d1000 at $100. When I was talking earlier about the d1000 having more depth, I really meant with regard to imaging and not really the soundstage. The d1000 seemed to give the instruments a more three-dimensional feel whereas everything feels very two-dimensional and flat with the es7.

I'm not using the es7 with an amp, just a nano and my desktop (which sounds better than the zune I used to have), so maybe that's why there seems to be a discrepancy in experiences. I've noticed that almost all the positive comments have come from those who use the es7 in conjunction with an amp. That said, they look like they're intended for portable use so I don't think the use of an amp should be necessary to justify the price tag.

Again, I did read the other thread, and I'm 99.9999% sure that mine aren't fake so I don't believe that's the problem. I think I'll give them a couple of more days. Maybe I'll grow into them.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #40 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's all take a chill pill and relax.
wink.gif

We have to agree to disagree.
smily_headphones1.gif

Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the pot 9 days old.
biggrin.gif

BTW, all of you guys who love the ES7, pls PM me if you know of a full sized can that sounds like the ES7.
smily_headphones1.gif

My search continues...
wink.gif

cool.gif

Here ya go:
biggrin.gif

Sentry Industries, Inc. | Headphones - 880CD

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I was talking earlier about the d1000 having more depth, I really meant with regard to imaging and not really the soundstage. The d1000 seemed to give the instruments a more three-dimensional feel whereas everything feels very two-dimensional and flat with the es7.

Yep, I've said it months ago when I bought the Denons. The Denons are just more musical. I wouldn't even call the ES7 " Fun". It is very average at best.
Like you said $60 dollar range. I wouldn't pay full price, used is an ok buy for beaters you toss in a gym bag ect!!! Someone said the ES7 are even better with an amp. Amp the Denons
biggrin.gif
, ES7 gets left behind. Like I said I have both cans right here an use SR71 and MK1 on both. ES7 can't even be in the same room as the Denons. Everyone has their own opinion of course, same with mine. But for noobs looking for cans let your ears be the guide.

Sample both cans and get back to us
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #42 of 77
I have both the Denons, and the ES7's I find the Denons very nice, but at least to my ears the Denons bass sometimes messes with vocals and other parts of some songs I listen to, where as the ES7's bass does not.

Now I know my ES7's have more hours burned into them then the Denons, so that might be part of the reason. I can also hear a difference with the Denons since I modded them and giving them more burn in time. I basically experience the bass farting someone else posted in a thread about the Denon 2000's.

I have used sponge and cotton in the driver enclosures, and that helped a bit right off the bat. The more burn in they get the more the bass seems to tame down some. Marco Polo off Loreena Mckennit's Book of Secrets album is a good example of the bass seeming to get out of hand with the Denons.

Anyway I enjoy both sets of cans. I find myself grabbing the ES7's more at work as I like the sound of them, and I seem to find myself tapping my feet more to music with them on at work, than I do with the Denons. Just my personal opinion.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #43 of 77
I am hearing some Jazz, some mongo santamaria with the es7's on my laptop. Sounds very enjoyable. I don't even nornally listen to jazz, just wanted to hear something different and it's just way cool sounding.

I also own the Denon 2000's and yes they do sound better. But this is portable and small form factor
wink.gif

I didn't get the Denon 1000's as they seemed bulky for portable use. Though I guess I am a Denon fan as I also have the C700 earphone.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #44 of 77
I think I am going to get some blu-tac this weekend and use that inside my Denon enclosures instead of the sponge/cotton combo. See if that changes the bass differently then it is currently modded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back