What's with the ES7?
Mar 4, 2008 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

TenaciousO

1000+ Head-Fier
Yes, they are very aesthetically pleasing headphones, but they sound terrible. Okay, terrible is a bit too strong, but I just returned the Denon D1000 thinking that the ES7 would at least offer comparable sound, and it's not even close. There's no depth to the sound like with the D1000, and strangely, the ES7 manages to sound both harsh and muted at the same time. I also don't hear the wonderful soundstage that I've read about. Even though I personally do not believe in physical burn-in, I've fed these headphones pink noise for 36+ hours just in case, and I hear absolutely no change. I've read someone state that the ES7 needs to burn in for 300 hours, but come on, am I supposed to believe that the sound will magically undergo a Cinderella-like transformation? Are you ES7 owners who have reported a dramatic transformation certain that you guys haven't simply gotten used to the sound? I haven't done a direct comparison yet, but I have a feeling that these aren't much better than my sister's FC7. Are my gripes premature? By the way, I've read the other thread, and I'm certain that my pair are genuine.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 77
36+ hours of pink noise should be sufficient.
May be ES7 sound is just not for you and you should have sticked with D1000. Why did you return them btw and what your reference phones are? What you describe sounds like a serious case of underamplification, what do you feed them with, what's your source?

For the record, they impressed me out of the box, and just worked out some wrinkles in the following couple of days.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
36+ hours of pink noise should be sufficient.
May be ES7 sound is just not for you and you should have sticked with D1000. Why did you return them btw and what your reference phones are? What you describe sounds like a serious case of underamplification, what do you feed them with, what's your source?

For the record, they impressed me out of the box, and just worked out some wrinkles in a couple of days.

I loved everything about the D1000, but the vocals sometimes seemed a bit veiled and dry, and because everything else sounded so good, I noticed the imperfection even more. I'm not running the ES7 out of an amp so they could be underpowered, but since they look like portable headphones, I was expecting them to sound pretty good without one. The most troubling thing to me is that the sound is very two-dimensional, unlike the D1000 which had a lot of depth. I've tried out three closed headphones in the last three weeks, the v6, d1000, and these, and I definitely like these the least right now.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 77
I thought ES7s had amazing soundstage and weight to every note.
They aren't for everyone though - some people can't stand it, while some people love it due to its coloration and "hot" treble

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 77
I've said it the whole time, the ES7s are ass. I own both the D1000 and ES7.
The Denons are MUCH better. The original post said he didn't like the vocals on the Denons.
I felt the same way when I first got them. I'm not a big believer in headphone burn in, But the Denons changed my mind a little. The mids are pulled back at first but after some usage they come out and clear up nicely. The Denons are handsdown the best in their price range. Just take a look at Skylabs review.
He hits everything dead on in that review.
For the price point nothing comes close to the Denons, sound wise and the comfort can't be matched.

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokenganjaclan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've said it the whole time, the ES7s are ass. I own both the D1000 and ES7.
The Denons are MUCH better. The original post said he didn't like the vocals on the Denons.
I felt the same way when I first got them. I'm not a big believer in headphone burn in, But the Denons changed my mind a little. The mids are pulled back at first but after some usage they come out and clear up nicely. The Denons are handsdown the best in their price range. Just take a look at Skylabs review.
He hits everything dead on in that review.
For the price point nothing comes close to the Denons, sound wise and the comfort can't be matched.

Somehow your profile doesn't show either, but that's not the point.
Can you please explain in more civilized and mature way what it was exactly about ES7 not as appealing to you as D1000?
I liked ES7 way more than A900 and in fact even found its signature more attractive to me than D2000. I am not saying that Denon is "ass", it's just a matter of personal taste. ES7 has amazingly great for such small portables soundstage, extended, not fatiguing highs, clear and full midrange, punchy bass, and details that match ER-4S. They also scale considerably with amplification. My only gripe is less then stellar comfort, but even that gets better after headband unbending mode.
If you like D1000 better, no one will try to convince you otherwise, you just need to rethink your way of communicating your personal liking and disliking.

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 77
Well said and amplification is the key, imo. I am using it with PETITE through LOD with no EQ at all and the results are more than just good.

ps Bit our of topic, but like your avatar, cool
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Somehow your profile doesn't show either, but that's not the point.
Can you please explain in more civilized and mature way what it was exactly about ES7 not as appealing to you as D1000?
I liked ES7 way more than A900 and in fact even found its signature more attractive to me than D2000. I am not saying that Denon is "ass", it's just a matter of personal taste. ES7 has amazingly great for such small portables soundstage, extended, not fatiguing highs, clear and full midrange, punchy bass, and details that match ER-4S. They also scale considerably with amplification. My only gripe is less then stellar comfort, but even that gets better after headband unbending mode.
If you like D1000 better, no one will try to convince you otherwise, you just need to rethink your way of communicating your personal liking and disliking.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 77
Oh yes, one of my favorite cartoons
cool.gif

Quote:

Everyone likes Cheburashka.
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 77
I own the ES7 and LOVE 'em to death. I have heard the D1000 before. IMHO, they are not better than the ES7 SQ wise, they are just different. Its a matter of preference.

Comfort wise though, the D1000 wins hands down.

Also, if you don't like the ES7, don't bother with amps, seriously, it does not change that much with amps, very slight change, you're still not gonna like its basic sound sig which will kinda remain the same nonetheless. Better to try different headphones.

If you think the ES7 has no depth to the sound and is harsh sounding, stay far away from Alessandro or Grado, at least the lower end ones... they are worse, I can't stand them! Try them and see, now THAT is no depth to the music and brings new meaning to the word harsh! JMO.
YMMV depending on your music type and pref.
wink.gif

ES7:
+looks great ... puuuuuuuuurty
biggrin.gif

+better isolation than D1000
+more portable than D1000
+/- sound --> If you like em, you will really LOVE 'em, if u hate 'em, they are @$$
rolleyes.gif

-not comfy

D1000:
+comfy as hell!
+- sounds very... uh refined and civilized?
biggrin.gif

-less portable than ES7
-less isolation than ES7

I think your read my comment that the ES7 needs 300hrs of burn in.
I can say FOR SURE that my ES7 sounds different from the day I got it. I was not impressed with my ES7 when I first got it. After a few hundred hours of pink noise I LOVE 'em.

HOWEVER I think the ES7 sound sig is just not for you. I firmly believe that its either love it or hate it with the ES7, no in between.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck in finding a pair of headphones that you like TenaciousO. I hope you find it soon. Pure audio bliss is quite difficult to come by.
biggrin.gif

To any haters out there
tongue.gif

If anyone has a new set of ES7 and hates 'em, bring them to my house and we can do a side by side comparison, I am very sure the differences in sound can and will be noticed.
wink.gif

I'm not trying to debate or force anyone to believe that the ES7 sound sig changes with "burn in" btw. Its a free world, so we can believe anything we want.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I know someone who burned in their ES7 for half a year non stop...
eek.gif
Now that is just overdoing it IMO...
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #11 of 77
Well, I am not agree with you, cos when you use wrong EQ, right out of player, they can sound like sh...t, producing bloated bass and picky highs. And some mp3 players just don't have a decent EQ settings, so using LOD through matched amp would make a huge difference, imo. I can hear a lot of difference between PETITE and GoVibe7.

As for the Grado. I can see your point, but their sig isn't bad at all, just not for everyone, that's it. Worse isn't a good word, imo. I would stay with: clearly different to accept or something. However you are free to say what ever you like of course, so no argue up here.
My choice would be much easier if I could buy closed back portables with SR80 or SR225 sound sig for acceptable price.
Something for John to think about it, imo.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if you don't like the ES7, don't bother with amps, seriously, it does not change that much with amps, very slight change, you're still not gonna like its basic sound sig which will kinda remain the same nonetheless. Better to try different headphones.

If you think the ES7 has no depth to the sound and is harsh sounding, stay far away from Alessandro or Grado, at least the lower end ones... they are worse, I can't stand them! Try them and see, now THAT is no depth to the music and brings new meaning to the word harsh! JMO.
YMMV depending on your music type and pref.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #12 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't done a direct comparison yet, but I have a feeling that these aren't much better than my sister's FC7. Are my gripes premature? By the way, I've read the other thread, and I'm certain that my pair are genuine.

I had both FC7s and ES7s - there's a major difference audible. Are you really sure you ain't got no fakes? Where did you get them?

regards ... HaL

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #13 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am not agree with you, cos when you use wrong EQ, right out of player, they can sound like sh...t, producing bloated bass and picky highs. And some mp3 players just don't have a decent EQ settings, so using LOD through matched amp would make a huge difference, imo.

I do agree with you that EQ settings and crappy mp3 players make a difference. So yeah, maybe you are right, TenaciousO probably has EQ or upstream equipment that does not match the ES7.

However I'm an anti EQ kind of guy and I'm using my ES7 out of an Creative mp3 player and microshar amp for my portable needs; no EQ. The ES7 sounds superb to me. I guess I'm just lucky not to experience how crapty the ES7 can sound under the wrong circumstances.
biggrin.gif

So TenaciousO, look into what Blackmmore is saying, maybe therein lies your problem?
confused.gif

Quote:

I can hear a lot of difference between PETITE and GoVibe7.

I'm not saying amping the ES7 or amp choice makes no difference at all. I said that while it does make a difference, the difference is not as obvious as getting a new headphone and that's what TenaciousO might want to look into instead of trying to salvage the ES7 which he clearly dislikes.
wink.gif

Quote:

As for the Grado. I can see your point, but their sig isn't bad at all, just not for everyone, that's it. Worse isn't a good word, imo. I would stay with: clearly different to accept or something.

Ok, maybe what I wrote was a little over the top; I should have worded it more clearly. The message that I was trying to convey was that IMHO, TenaciousO might want to look elsewhere first before he gives the lower end Grados and Alessandro a try since IMO they do not provide what he is looking for. I was just trying to help him narrow down his choices in order to find that ever elusive "perfect" headphone that we all crave.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did say "YMMV depending on your music type and pref." though.
wink.gif

I understand how tastes in headphone presentation can vary among individuals.
cool.gif

Quote:

My choice would be much easier if I could buy closed back portables with SR80 or SR225 sound sig for acceptable price.
Something for John to think about it, imo.
cool.gif

Aha... we have a similar problem. My life would be much simpler if I could find a full sized closed back headphone that sounds like the ES7!
cool.gif

Well I hope we both manage to find what we are each looking for Blackmore.
wink.gif
cool.gif

Cheers!

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 77
I had a similar experience to the OP. I normally like a fast, detailed, sparkly presentation (I love my A250s). And I thought the ES7s would be perfect. The primary problem with them is comfort, wearing them was torture, even after bending the head band.

My gripe with the SQ was that they are very unatural sounding. They seem to have spikes in certain places across the spectrum which gives them the aggressive, sparkly sound that people seem to like. But to me they completely sacrifice a natural, accurate and balanced sound. They remind me of the SQ produced by digital sound enhancers built into iTunes etc., obviously not as bad, but the same plastic, unaturalness. The A250s are fast and up front but they are also balanced and natural.

Mine are currently FS on eBay. I got some recabled HD-25s. They are massively better IMO, much more hifi.

I do feel that people commenting on them on head-fi have been a bit carried away with their enjoyment of the ES7s and have not given an entirely accurate impression of their SQ. Hence it seems a number of us have bought them only discover we don't like them.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #15 of 77
How about ESW9? I expect any days my now, can be interesting to hear the differences. However it is not a full size of course.

I am not using any EQ as well, they do sound very well from out of PETITE and GoVibe7.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha... we have a similar problem. My life would be much simpler if I could find a full sized closed back headphone that sounds like the ES7!
cool.gif

Well I hope we both manage to find what we are each looking for Blackmore.
wink.gif
cool.gif

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back