What's with the ES7?
Mar 6, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I find that Chill out and world music sound good on the ES7. Buddha Bar and Cafe Del Mar are good examples.

But then again, I may just like the "snarly" mids of the ES7.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

that makes two of us. I actually enjoy harsh highs - I'm used to cymbals' harshness since I play drums anyways
biggrin.gif
I thought 325is were wonderful
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the bass on the ES7's as it is and electronic music also sounds good on them
wink.gif

Was hearing some Enigma and Art of Noise...

Deep Forest, and Loreena Mckennit also sound very nice on them.

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
Holy toledo! I actually heard the snarling mids and 2 dimensional sound people have complained about!

hmmm did someone put a hex on my Can's?
biggrin.gif

But really I had been enjoying these es7's even as they burn in and then last night I put on a Steve Hillage album "L" to be specific and hell!!! It sounded like crap! tinny, snarly mids and all .... I had been listening to that album earlier in the day with same mp3 player but with my atrio m8 and it sounded great. I was listening to the ES7's late at night when I heard this snarly music and I wondered if they just needed to burn in and were in some sort of transitional mode or whatever...

I put on some other music which I had heard before and enjoyed and heck! It sounded good! I heard to albums, Triffids - Calenture and Faces - ooh la la album and it sounded great! Put back the Hillage and sounded lousy....

So obviously its now not just the amp,source and or burn in. But some music actually does sound like crap on these headphones. I guess it's the luck of the draw and some peoples music will more then likely fall into the lousy category more then others. I just hope the ES7's get better but if not I can reach for my atrios for certain albums hehehe

Amazing
biggrin.gif

Music is music and sound is sound and white noise is white noise. ES7s are seriously flawed. They are tailored to the bizarre Japanese market (Stax exempted) that enjoys these colorations for reasons that are much too complex to go into here. These cans sound just like old JBLs and Tannoys.

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are tailored to the bizarre Japanese market (Stax exempted) that enjoys these colorations for reasons that are much too complex to go into here. These cans sound just like old JBLs and Tannoys.

So you are just stamping all Japanese made cans like some sort of audio perversion? That makes me triple pervert, I guess.
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #69 of 77
I think I noted I had noticed before I ever bought the ES7's that some albums did not sound good on certain headphones.

I have to believe the production on some music is what makes the difference. It's just that it shocked me to hear what others had mentioned when I had not until that moment. hehehe

If you hear massive amounts of music with wide tastes you will know what I am talking about. I do not stick to one style of music or era or genre, lean heavy on Rock but definitely listen to all good music.

May 10, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #70 of 77
i dont know what people are talking about when they talk about the bass on the es7s... it just doesnt exist. it takes two kinds of bass boost to make it audible. the bass it has though... its of the highest quality i have heard.

i hate listening to rap or techno on them because half of the fun is gone. but i LOVE listening to a lot of the modern heavy metal because the vocals, chuggy guitar, and drums really pop.

(btw ive listened with and without an amp. the amp was the second form of bass boost haha)

i feel like if i asked if anyone knew of phones that sound just like these, but with more quantity of bass, i would be asking for very well balanced phones. or maybe just perfect for me.

anyone know of any phones like that? how does the bass of the grado 225s compare to these? 

i cant believe people actually said these have "bloated" or too much bass. What?

May 10, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #71 of 77
I get the feeling many people here have fakes considering the variety of opinions. Keep in mind that even if you receive all the accessories and packaging, the person who sold it to you might've just swapped out the real ES7 with a fake one. I have an uncle in Hong Kong who said he did it with some electronics a few times because he accidentally got counterfeits, then purchased the real thing, then sold the counterfeit as "used" along with the real packaging.

May 10, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #72 of 77
Yeah, i'd double up on the possibility of heaps of fakes flying around. Luckily for us in Australia we have a local distributor who has genuine ES7/ESW9s.

May 22, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #73 of 77
Yeah, I don't hear any snarling mids on my ES7's. I'm going through my music trying to find a song that makes them sound tinny or snarling and have been unable to do so thus far. 

As with others, my only complaint would be the comfort factor, but I'm rarely listening to music for 4-5 hours, I just don't have the time to do that. 

Electronic music really stands out with these headphones; some nice minimal or deep house sounds amazing. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #75 of 77
I just bought a pair of AT's Es7's and most definitely when amplified the speakers are driven much better, I use a Fiio E11, without it they still sound good so if I am on the move and my amp power runs out no problem!!! my other phones are HD 598's and I prefer these as they are easier on the ear when played louder, the AT E7's feel damaging when loud but I got them for the public transport, so they sound good and look cool. I need to try them on the move and review them after burn in. note that the cable looks weak and wonder how long this will last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back