What's with all of the "burning in" talk?
Jun 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ckunke002

New Head-Fier
Everybody I've ever heard mention M-50's mutters something along the lines of the importance of burning them in before the start sounding good. I just got them as my first pair of nice headphones, and am absolutely loving them right off the bat. Maybe I'm just not as picky with my sound as some of ya'll, or maybe my ears aren't as finely tuned.

Anyways has anybody else experienced this, or am I weird? 

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 17
Sorry but the M50's get better after about 50 hours of burn in.  Just be patient, it will happen.  The M50's were my first great headphone, and I thought they were the bee's knees until they burned in, when they got pretty nice (at the time).  

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 17
Burn-in talk in general is audiophile tomfoolery, but it does have certain applications for a couple headphones.  The M50 I felt did change with an hour or burn-in.  The bass went from not being there to being there after about 5 minutes.

Don't let any talk of burning in for 200 hours or more fool you though.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Burn-in talk in general is audiophile tomfoolery, but it does have certain applications for a couple headphones.  The M50 I felt did change with an hour or burn-in.  The bass went from not being there to being there after about 5 minutes.

Don't let any talk of burning in for 200 hours or more fool you though.

Don't state your opinion like its fact, because our opinions obviously differ like polar opposites.  I've sat here listening to multiple headphones for over 100 hours and heard differences.  Whether thats me or the phones or both, I can't say, but there is a difference somewhere.  I hear it quite blatantly.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 17
Personally, I feel that burn-in is mostly your ears adjusting to the headphones and not the other way around.  Perception is reality.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Personally, I feel that burn-in is mostly your ears adjusting to the headphones and not the other way around.  Perception is reality.

You hit the nail on the head.  Perception is reality.  Whether it is the headphones or our ears, who cares?  If it sounds better, than its real.  Well stated!

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 17
You are weird 
biggrin.gif
 I honestly didn't find the M50s to be anything special when I first heard them. After a day or so either the phones changed, or my head changed, I've yet to decide which one. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 17
In some cases burn in is mental, but some headphones do change quite a bit over time. I haven't heard the M50s, but it's certainly possible for headphones to sound good right away and improve with use.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 17
my shure srh840 didn't change and i can guarantee i am past 200 hours by now.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for all the insight everyone! If they sound good now, and supposedly can sound better with proper burn in, i have a question to ask. At what volumes should music or pink noise be played to get good results? Louder than you would normally listen, or just average volumes?

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
my shure srh840 didn't change and i can guarantee i am past 200 hours by now.

Oh...you never get used to them. I noticed an improvement on my HD25's after 50 hours. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for all the insight everyone! If they sound good now, and supposedly can sound better with proper burn in, i have a question to ask. At what volumes should music or pink noise be played to get good results? Louder than you would normally listen, or just average volumes?

Most will tell you slightly louder than comfortable listening levels.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 17
Burn-in is audiophile ritual and ceremony. Might as well burn some incense while chanting.

This is demonstrated by there being no "wrong" way to burn-in. I've never performed the ritual and my headphones are fine. They've all been to several meets and no one has ever commented on them being improperly burned-in. Every headphone I've had (and I've had a lot of them) sounded fine right out of the box.

So don't worry about it. Listen and enjoy.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 17
All real "burn in" with headphones happens quickly after you begin listening to them The claims of 200-800 hours of burn in required I've seen are laughable. The only burn in going on after your first 5 minutes with the headphone is your ears adapting to the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back