What's the most you've spent on one piece of music?
Nov 27, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It reminds me of Lebrecht's story of a woman who owned 80 recordings of Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique and, feeling deprived of a perfect performance, bought another on the day of release.

And I thought I was getting a respectable collection with my meager 6 recordings of Beethoven's 9th.
frown.gif

I can see where she's coming from; I still haven't found the perfect recording!
orphsmile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amateurs! You ought to try classical. I have 27 different versions of the Mahler 7th symphony. Now, using an average price of $15 per version...$405 for just that one symphony.

If you paid $15 per version (most M7s, incidently, fit on one CD), you're either very impatient, very obsessive, or don't know where to shop
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you paid $15 per version (most M7s, incidently, fit on one CD), you're either very impatient, very obsessive, or don't know where to shop
tongue.gif

I'm a very canny shopper and $15.00 is about average when you add in the shipping and handling. Additionally, for Mahler I try to find good hybrid/sacd recordings which are more expensive.

Btw, although classical cds can be more expensive than pop cds, they generally have more music on them -- close to the 80 odd minutes of maximum cd capacity as opposed to rock and pop where 60 minutes is about as much as you get.

Aside from the issue of multiple copies of a single work, there are also those collectors who will pay astronomical amounts for rare recordings that have gone out of print. Right now a copy of Ton Koopman's recording of Handel's Messiah is selling at amazon for $95.00. Someone will probably buy that, but it's too rich for my blood!

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #50 of 64
Most expensive CD - $69 King Crimson "The Great Deceiver" 4-CD set
Most expensive live - AFAIR, I paid ~$90 for third row seat for the Hail To The Thief Radiohead tour in 2005
Will pay on a heartbeat any (legit) price for the best seats - Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Iron Maiden

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #52 of 64
$85 + shipping for the out of print The Legendary Joao Gilberto. Totally worth it.

That single disc includes his first three albums, which started the Bossa Nova music and are still the best. My friends and I chipped in together to buy it. I paid a bit more and ended up with the actual disc -- they ended up with copies (not something I normally do, but with an out of print disc...).

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most I ever spent on a single cd is $35 + shipping for a used MFSL version of Dark Side Of The Moon
smily_headphones1.gif

I recenty bought the DVD -> The Making of The Dark Side Of The Moon on ebay. it is awesome. I have several PF dvds now
biggrin.gif

Also, the most that i can recall that i've spent on a cd was $25 for a used copy of John Digweed - Fabric20 from a guy in the uk on ebay. It is mint and even came in a metal jewel box
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #54 of 64
Years ago, I paid $30+ for an OOP Icehouse "Man of Colours" CD. The funny thing is that a little while later I came across a copy selling for 6 bucks in the used bin at a record store.
mad.gif

I also paid $30 for Heart's self-titled CD from MFSL. I just wanted to try out their gold CDs to see what the fuss was about.

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #55 of 64
35 bucks for a new copy of heathen - victims of deception(jap import)
I heard the news of it's remastering/reissue 4 days after I ordered it, i couldn't cancel because it had shipped by then. the albums production sounds great to me so i'm not too upset about buying.

Dec 4, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #58 of 64
Pete Townshend's "Lifehouse Chronicles".
It's a 6CD-Boxset, which was priced at 40£, but then came VAT and shipping....
at the end it was like 57£, which is about 85€ (at the current exchange rate it's a humping 113$.....)

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #59 of 64
I purchased a couple of Mobile Fidelity UHQR when they were new; DSOTM & Crime of the century. I have no idea what I paid, $60 each, maybe. If counting box sets I have several that were well over the $100 mark. Mo-Fi Sinatra box – I paid around $120 (Retailed for hundreds). I collect audiophile recordings, most of which tend to be expensive. I don’t really keep track of what I spend.

Concert tickets? Maybe $75 each although if you count traveling expenses and lodging I’m sure that I’ve spent five or six hundred dollars to go to individual shows. Once again I don’t really keep track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back