What's the most you've spent on one piece of music?
Oct 19, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #31 of 64
For a single CD. I bought some Japanese Van Halen bootlegs for $22 each. There was a small record shop in Sacramento I walked into one day out of the blue. $$ well spent.
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #32 of 64
about 85$ USD on a used MFSL Gold album, it was either Pink Floyd or Metallica.

they all got stolen a month later anyway.

my friends spent 250$ (each) for Tool tickets a few months back. crazy.

Oct 24, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #37 of 64
I think the most that I've ever spent on a CD was about $30 for Alice Cooper's Brutal Planet. Laugh if you like, but I spent over a year trying to find that album, so I snapped it up when I saw it.

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
Amateurs! You ought to try classical. I have 27 different versions of the Mahler 7th symphony. Now, using an average price of $15 per version...$405 for just that one symphony.

why would one spend so much one just one piece? why not use that money to buy other music?

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #39 of 64
Approximately US$130.00 for a 1985 Hong Kong pop CD. There're other US$50.00 - $80.00 purchases for early HK pop CDs since I am a collector.

Ironically, I spend less than US$40.00 each on the DCC Elvis 24K Hits and Van Halen S/T debut gold CD.

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #40 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
Amateurs! You ought to try classical. I have 27 different versions of the Mahler 7th symphony. Now, using an average price of $15 per version...$405 for just that one symphony.

That is certainly a classical enthusiast talking. It reminds me of Lebrecht's story of a woman who owned 80 recordings of Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique and, feeling deprived of a perfect performance, bought another on the day of release. I think that partly explains why people buy multiple recordings of the same work and this may be something unique to classical music (multiple recordings of the same work but all by different artists). For example, I love opera and have at least 5-10 recordings (if not more) of my favorites. They are all the same yet different. A person who owns 5-6 pairs of headphones (should be a few around here) should be able to appreciate this. It's all about the interpretation, texture, and nuance.

But Mahler's 7th. That is probably the last symphony that I would want more than one of. Why not the 2nd or 3rd.
biggrin.gif

Also, in answer to the question, I once saw a limited edition copy of Verdi's la Traviata (a 1958 Callas performance) go for $330 on ebay. I bid around $220. Glad I did not win. The following year, it was re-released. You can buy it anywhere for $35 now.

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #41 of 64
I once paid about $40 for a brand-new copy of Jerry Garcia's "Almost Acoustic" CD. LOL. But, boy, was it worth it!

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #43 of 64
Approx. 70$ on the OST's for the Beck anime. (2cd's) Had to special order them from japan through my local japanese bookstore. So totally worth it.

Close second being 40ish$ for the Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated" single on vinyl. It was actually a radio station copy. Only reason why i grabbed it was because it's the only place besides the 'Lifestyles Of The Ramones' video where the Ramones on 45 megamix appears. I had a number of friends off of the old alt.music.ramones newsgroup that wanted that.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #44 of 64
Probably $50 for some of the double-CD albums I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back