What's the Lifespan of Shure's Foam Sleeves?
Mar 9, 2011 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
I would like to know how long do they last?

I understand they are washable and can be reused.

But do they hold their elasticity for a long time?

Are they worth the investment?

I am thinking about getting them for my Future Sonics Atrios.

Here they are:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EABKF1-10M/ 

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 17
That is dependent on: your level of ear wax, frequency of use, climate, do you exercise with them? Please me more specific. I use Shure tips with my Westone 3's everyday for a few hours when I study and they have lasted some time. Keep in mind I'm not moving around or sweating. I also clean my ears on a daily basis. Hope that helps - cheers

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 17
The first pair I used was back in 2008, moded for my TF10 - I already replaced the cable once, but the same pair of olive is still on my TF10 (and I do clean it from time to time). You tell me.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Can't be answered.

It all depends on how waxy your ears naturally are, how clean you keep your ears and how clean you keep your hands.  I have had a pair last 4 months or more.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 17
I've never had to replace a Shure foam sleeve since I started using them back in 2007.  I clean them regularly with hot water.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 17
I love rolling across a thread where the OP has the exact same question as you do.

My atrios really need new eartips, and people keeping throwing the Shure Olive suggestion at me. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
I love rolling across a thread where the OP has the exact same question as you do.

My atrios really need new eartips, and people keeping throwing the Shure Olive suggestion at me. 

Shure Olives last a long time...

...but they suck on the Atrios.  Do a search for an Atrio tip review I did, I don't like their sound (at least on the older Atrios.)

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 17
I guess the custom route is the next choice for me unless I can find a tip that brings out the best in the Atrios.

It's sad that such an engaging and fun earphone like the Atrios don't come with better ear tips.

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 17
They have a very long lifespan in my experience. The tips last a very long time (perhaps in the range of 5-10 years) unless you abuse them in my opinion.

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
I guess the custom route is the next choice for me unless I can find a tip that brings out the best in the Atrios.

It's sad that such an engaging and fun earphone like the Atrios don't come with better ear tips.

x2.
x3 actually.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Shure Olives last a long time...

...but they suck on the Atrios.  Do a search for an Atrio tip review I did, I don't like their sound (at least on the older Atrios.)

Apparently the new drivers make the M5 a totally different animal.  So far I've heard positive things about the olives with the mg7 driver.  The only thing is that it looks like the foams sit a little deep, and it is my opinion that the more space between my eardrum and the mg7 driver, the better.

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Apparently the new drivers make the M5 a totally different animal.  So far I've heard positive things about the olives with the mg7 driver.  The only thing is that it looks like the foams sit a little deep, and it is my opinion that the more space between my eardrum and the mg7 driver, the better.

Gimmie a week to burn mine in and I'll let you know what I think, as I have a new pair of mg7's sitting next to my old pair of Atrios on my desk  
beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Gimmie a week to burn mine in and I'll let you know what I think, as I have a new pair of mg7's sitting next to my old pair of Atrios on my desk  
beerchug.gif

Much appreciated!

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
beerchug.gif

While my phones haven't fully burned in, I'm going to stand by my original conclusion in my tip review thread concerning the Shure Olives on the Atrios.  Even with the mg7 driver, switching from the Olives back to the stock FS flanges (I use smalls even though I wear mediums in ever other size of eartips on all other phones, Olives included) is like lifting a veil.  The Olives do NOT help the sound on the Atrios, period, at least not for my ears.  I will admit that the mg7's tolerate the Olives better than the older v2 Atrios, but it's still a poor tip choice unless you insist on using foams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back