Whats the difference between the 228hd and the 238hd?
Jun 28, 2010 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SamAmg

New Head-Fier
I've had the 228 hd's, but they just stopped working after 2 months. I take very good care of my things, and maybe it was just a bad pair of headphones, idk.

However, I loved every second I had these headphones, but how fast they broke and how fragile they were really makes me not want to rebuy them.

However, I heard the 238hd is a 228 but made with better material and better quality headphone.

is this true? what is really the difference between these headphones? because visually, they look identical.

Thanks.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 15
I like the drift adjustable sites and black grip panels, but I'm not a fan of .380 ACP. Oh wait, you mean the Sennheiser, not the Sig Sauer 238 HD.

Sorry. I'm sure someone actually helpful will respond. Also hi.

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 15
Hi i own HD 238...
I have only heard about 228 but the diference seems to be in that, 238 are opened and 228 are closed headphones...
And 238 should have better sound because of some neodyme magnets or what :D...
If you like opened headphones, 238 are great choice theyre sound is great, they used to be my favourite ones till cord broke but they replaced them for me... So, the sound really is better than 228 but they are opened, i think it's the only diference...

sorry for my english :D

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 15
Main difference (which contributes to sound) is the fact 238 are open back headphones, 228 are closed. IMHO, the 238's seem to have better build quality (judging from looks-228 is glossy black and what not)

Disclaimer: only have heard the 228 and not 238

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 15
I own a pair of HD-228's. The build quality is flimsy - yes - but they did it to provide a portable side to the headphones.

I have had no trouble so far with them, I'm up to a month of use so far. (About 2 hours a day). I also did the Asteroid Mod, and they sound fantastic. The are much more bright, and better fitting on the ears. Love it.

I can't speak for the 238's as much, but I do know they are open headphones, and will let out more sound. With the 228's, they are closed headphones, and with secure your sound from leaking out, and as well, prevents sounds from getting in. Though the sound isolation isn't amazing, it's on the borderline between absolute sound isolation, and none at all. The perfect balance in my opinion. I need my headphones to block out my surroundings, as I'm constantly out and about.

However I have heard that the 238's are also better build quality (They sure look it), and have a better soundstage. But you'd have to ask a veteran on the subject.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 15
From what I've heard they do in fact have a better build. One guy even said he kept them in his back pockets.
They are much more portable than the 228's, so a better build quality would be expected.
I simply dislike the fact that they are open headphones.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 15
hmm, interesting.

so if I wanted a sorta portable, good build quality (won't break in 2 months), with decent bass.. what headphones would you suggest?

No in-ear suggestions please, i never liked them :frowning2:.

Much appreciated for any suggestions

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 15
PX200 II are closed headphones that are foldable (durability - not sure because i dont own them)
ATH-ES7 i found were quite good but cable entries - not the most inspiring in my opinion

You can always check out |joker|'s review thread here

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 15
The 228 has slightly more bass, while the 238 resolves details better with a wide soundstage (because of its open design). The 238's bass did tend to get distorted if you listen at high volumes though. Oh and they both have a flimsy cable.

I'd recommend either the PX100-II or the PX200-II instead.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 15
I tried both the hd 228 (2weeks) and hd 238 (own it)
The hd 238 beats the 228 by a LOOONG shot. The highs and mids are much clearer.
Once you equalize it by lowering the bass, the bass bloat instantly disappears and the sound quality can rival those of higher end phones.

Remember though, you must listen to these in a quiet room, because it leaks a ton and does not isolate at all.

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 15
I would suggest the HD-238's if you have the money. They - as many others say - have a better sound stage due to it's open design, but will leak out sound. I'm guessing it's bass is much better as well.

The 228's were my choice because shopping online was not an option, and I just so happened to find them at the store for $69.99, instead of $100 (WHOA, I know). I also NEEDED a closed design, because of my parents, and use in classroom's. The 238'd were much too expensive for me, but in time I might consider them.

I forget if I mentioned this, but with the asteroid mod on the 228's, your headphones will sound a lot more open, improving on it's sound stage. This for a lot of reviewers was their solution in the ongoing war between the 238's, 228's and px-200 II's. Though I HIGHLY recommend trying to get your hands on testing them. It all depends on your preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back