What's the Deal With Beats By Dre?
Jun 5, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #106 of 239

Quote:

IMO, all the people who want Macs are the people who care about their social status in say, school and crap. They all want to be known as rich / popular, and those are the people who want Macs and / or Beats :). Macs are good for some things, don't get me wrong, but the specs.. are crap for the price, and there's so much more you can do on Windows.

BS.  Horrible comparison.  Most people who buy macs buy them because they don't like fiddling, tinkering, upgrading, and geeking out at computers, they just want it to work.  And for that a mac is a much much much better choice than a pc no matter what the outside looks like.  I could care less what my computer looks like, and I will never own a PC.

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #107 of 239
It doesn't take a rocket science to manage windows in a proper form, especially in the light of a godsend called google (when you are lost). They just work most of the times too, and don't pretend like you never have any trouble with macs at all (even my mac-crazed friend disagrees).

The same people bitching and moaning about windows seem to be the same type having trouble with a freaking TV remote. Hence my description technologically challenged. Not that I have anything against ineptitude, I am just saying it like it is.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #108 of 239
rolleyes.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #109 of 239

Quote:
Please somebody explain that to me. Really, I don't get it. I see people everywhere now wearing their Beats like that when they are not in use, and I can't even fathom why.

Yes most of time I see teens wearing around the neck or like that guy, maybe the headphone is broken or they realized that the sound is horrible.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #110 of 239
They wear them like that because it's the easiest way to show them off when not in use. You have to realize that anyone wearing Beats like that doesn't have the headphones with them for the sound.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #111 of 239

Quote:
Contradiction?

Anyways, comparing to the M50s (~$90~$120), they do sound like junk for being $200/$300/$400, and also that all of them are made of extremely cheap plastic (besides the $400 model).

Even more-so compared to the HD25s (which can be had for ~$160 new).

Reasons = bass distorts mids, muddy, dunno what else cause I don't remember.

DT770s uncomfortable to wear for long periods.. really? I loved those with their velour pads. Looks insanely stupid though in public :).

For $130, that's still pretty bad considering the build quality. M50s for that price > Studios. Then again you'd prob find M50s uncomfortable (clamp is pretty high, pads roughen up with wear due to sweat, and there's no velours or anything for them but you can use other headphone earpads w/ some mods, like the SRH840's).

All in all, the only ones I thought the sound was half decent on were the Pros, and I believe they're made out of like titanium or something (or so I heard, never researched it up myself, but when I felt it, it sure felt like metal), but $400.. no. Tax in california = ~440 = hell no.

Another thing. If you're a person like me who does a crapload w/ tech / computers and doesn't believe in all this cable crap (though I've yet to try, all I want is a short copper cable to replace my steel HD25s to see if they sound different, and for cheap), then look at the Monster cables. $100~$1000 for a premium HDMI cable.. you srs? For HDMI, it's pretty much it works or it doesn't work (unless you get the extremely cheapass ones that just don't work at all).

The velour is comfortable to wear, but it gets very hot after wearing it a little while.  I can't wear it for long periods of time or I start to sweat like crazy.  They're also not portable at all as well.  The build quality definitely isn't the best on the beats, so I have to make sure I really baby them and can't be rough with them like I can with a pair of Audio Technica headphones.

I still have other headphones I use the majority of the time.  There's just times where I need to use headphones for a long time and the Beats do a pretty good job for that.  If the beats were the only pair of headphones I was going to own, I definitely wouldn't have gotten them in the first place.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #113 of 239

Quote:
BS.  Horrible comparison.  Most people who buy macs buy them because they don't like fiddling, tinkering, upgrading, and geeking out at computers, they just want it to work.  And for that a mac is a much much much better choice than a pc no matter what the outside looks like.  I could care less what my computer looks like, and I will never own a PC.

May as well buy a netbook, no? Or a $500~700 laptop that'll be basically pretty close to on par, or even above Macs. Please tell me what you have to fiddle and / or tinker with on Windows that you don't have to do on Macs. And for upgrading, you aren't required to upgrade. Just like Macs, it isn't a necessity. My custom built comp hasn't been upgraded for 2 years and it's running great still. And I bought it for the price of a Mac (approx), but I can do oh so much more due to the fact I'm not being charged an insane price premium for a brand name, which gave me a ton more money to use on building it. And to include that building it only took me around 30 minutes of my time along with cable management, which took another ~30 minutes (though, cable management isn't a necessity, just my crap runs hot as hell :)). Even to build a computer, all it is is common sense, and if one doesn't have any, JFGI.

You sound like you're talking about Linux, not Windows. And yes, for LINUX, there's a ton of "tinkering" involved, and so much that I chose not to use it as I couldn't even run an .exe file without a mod.

Quote:

The velour is comfortable to wear, but it gets very hot after wearing it a little while.  I can't wear it for long periods of time or I start to sweat like crazy.  They're also not portable at all as well.  The build quality definitely isn't the best on the beats, so I have to make sure I really baby them and can't be rough with them like I can with a pair of Audio Technica headphones.

I still have other headphones I use the majority of the time.  There's just times where I need to use headphones for a long time and the Beats do a pretty good job for that.  If the beats were the only pair of headphones I was going to own, I definitely wouldn't have gotten them in the first place.

Hot as in it makes you sweat? Or just hot? That's how it always is for me for leather pads. I always sweat with them / the area becomes insanely hot + it gets a pretty nasty feeling which is why I love velours.

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #114 of 239

Quote:
And yes, for LINUX, there's a ton of "tinkering" involved, and so much that I chose not to use it as I couldn't even run an .exe file without a mod.

Quick OT correction here:
Linux (and Mac OS X, for that matter) can't run EXE files natively. The EXE format is native and endemic to Windows. Linux uses an entirely different system for executable content.
It's like headphones and IEMs; You'd need to do some modding you can stick a PortaPro inside your ear. 
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #116 of 239
have a flyer in my hand right now...Beats Pro( huh ?) DETOX Limited Edition
blink.gif
  limited to what a million?  for  $549 Canadian .  I don't know what to say .... Think of what you could buy instead It's utterly depressing. DJ headphones they call them. Tuned by professionals . I'll stop now.

Thumbs up on the LINUX. It's everything else I find strange and archaic now.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #117 of 239
Here's a good one for you guys. I was once killing some time at BestBuy and decided to try out some beats on display. I had my iPod and started listening and couldn't believe people were actually paying 300 bucks for these headphones. In any case one of the girls who work there saw me demoing them and came over and asked how I liked them. Politely I said I wasn't that impressed with the sound quality. She looked at me all puzzled and responded she was surprised because everyone who tried them seemed to like them and then she said she was saving up to get herself a pair. I sort of felt sorry for the kid and asked her if she had ever tried a pair of Grado's. When she said no I took her over to the computer compartment and pulled up the Grado SR60 site page all the while telling her that she could save some serious money and get far better sound from a Grado. Her response was those things look so ugly they couldn't possibly sound good. I nearly did a face palm right then and there.

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #118 of 239

Quote:
May as well buy a netbook, no? Or a $500~700 laptop that'll be basically pretty close to on par, or even above Macs. Please tell me what you have to fiddle and / or tinker with on Windows that you don't have to do on Macs. And for upgrading, you aren't required to upgrade. Just like Macs, it isn't a necessity. My custom built comp hasn't been upgraded for 2 years and it's running great still. And I bought it for the price of a Mac (approx), but I can do oh so much more due to the fact I'm not being charged an insane price premium for a brand name, which gave me a ton more money to use on building it. And to include that building it only took me around 30 minutes of my time along with cable management, which took another ~30 minutes (though, cable management isn't a necessity, just my crap runs hot as hell :)). Even to build a computer, all it is is common sense, and if one doesn't have any, JFGI.

You sound like you're talking about Linux, not Windows. And yes, for LINUX, there's a ton of "tinkering" involved, and so much that I chose not to use it as I couldn't even run an .exe file without a mod.

Hot as in it makes you sweat? Or just hot? That's how it always is for me for leather pads. I always sweat with them / the area becomes insanely hot + it gets a pretty nasty feeling which is why I love velours.

The velour pads for me get hot and sweaty as well.  I get some sweat on the Beats as well when worn a long time, but it doesn't get hot.  The most comfortable headphones I've worn would be the Bose Triports.  Unfortunately, they're flimsy and sound bad.  

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #119 of 239
whats the deal with all the apple hate. i agree that windows is easy to use but apple has amazing warranty support and imo it's worth the premiums.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #120 of 239

Quote:
whats the deal with all the apple hate. i agree that windows is easy to use but apple has amazing warranty support and imo it's worth the premiums.

Same with the Beats. It's not the fact that it's "overpriced" (as some may say) or "popular" (not really IMO), it's the fact that its users go all out to insult PC users for being slow, inefficient and dumb (yes, I have been called a retard for using Windows...). I personally like the Mac's OS and all its benefits, but I don't see the need to own one.

So, from this Apple-to-Windows snobbiness comes Windows-to-Apple hate. It's sad really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back