What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Jul 31, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #346 of 1,335
At some point, yes
cool, back home soon and TT2 will on toslink, Qutest was better that way for me, hopefully new tt2 also. tho' never hear the Sarum..

Jul 31, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #347 of 1,335
It’s my antipodes sever preferred delivery is USB, tt preferred input is USB being galvanized. In essence perfect harmony. Hope you too get skittles.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #349 of 1,335
Maybe the only time someone would even consider USB cables on a upgrade would be when they felt they found the best headphone.

I mean surely headphone upgrades would be more sensible and rewarding. Many of us do believe that “the whole system matters” but still there are going to be components of the system that play a larger role in success. I would think the USB cable sits on a very low tier, if not the lowest in importance?

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #351 of 1,335
Yes interconnects , hp, cables and USB should be the final components in your audio fondant. At that point your system will probably be able to reveal the changes or preferences of each for one to judge. This isn’t sound science is it so I’m safe to communicate this opinion?

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #352 of 1,335
Yes interconnects , hp, cables and USB should be the final components in your audio fondant. At that point your system will probably be able to reveal the changes or preferences of each for one to judge. This isn’t sound science is it so I’m safe to communicate this opinion?
The cable, tweak thread, not SS, so it’s OK! Lol.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #353 of 1,335
I'll soon be on Optical though, which should be better again.

I tried optical but it did not sound as good. Roon could not recognise that the endpoint device was a Chord TT2 and consequently adjusted its output stream (I presume). Hence I reverted back to USB, which does sound more open and airy, except for the hint of hardness at loud volumes which has sent me searching for a better USB cable.

BTW thanks for the pointer to the TT2 thread. I have been following that for a while now and it has been helpful in forming my purchase decision. Would recommend that thread to anyone.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #354 of 1,335
for the money? im out
Ha, ha! I hope you are not "out" of the discussion Whazzzup, your contributions to this and other threads is really good. If money were no object I would opt for the Chord Sarum cable you recommend but I need to get there in stages. The cable you selected might in fact be the best value for money of all of them!

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #355 of 1,335
If I would have a problem with brightness, I would not try to tame it with a USB cable (though I remember the original iFi Gemini and Supra as having a more dark or neutral reaction in my system).

I have found the W4S Recovery device to be the most cost effective way to modify the USB signal. For my DAC's it has either stabilized the sound quality characteristics to their best performance or improved the sound by seemingly removing high frequency hash. I have always used a LPS with my Recovery devices (I think I have really dirty mains power here, so no wall-warts on the audio mains circuit) so that may be a good part of my success. https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/recovery (149 USD)

Someone mentioned previously the Uptone Audio adapter. I have tried a few of those and have found them very neutral, but not always practical for implementation or optimal for the sound preferred (darker than some cables I use). https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter (35 USD)

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #356 of 1,335
If I would have a problem with brightness, I would not try to tame it with a USB cable (though I remember the original iFi Gemini and Supra as having a more dark or neutral reaction in my system).

I have found the W4S Recovery device to be the most cost effective way to modify the USB signal. For my DAC's it has either stabilized the sound quality characteristics to their best performance or improved the sound by seemingly removing high frequency hash. I have always used a LPS with my Recovery devices (I think I have really dirty mains power here, so no wall-warts on the audio mains circuit) so that may be a good part of my success. https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/recovery (149 USD)

Someone mentioned previously the Uptone Audio adapter. I have tried a few of those and have found them very neutral, but not always practical for implementation or optimal for the sound preferred (darker than some cables I use). https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter (35 USD)

Strangely the AudioQuest Carbon does seem to be slightly brighter, than a drugstore USB cable? I use an 5 foot USB between my dock and the DAC/amp. There is an increase in resolution maybe, I still need to do some 2X blind tests? But the overall effect IS brightness, but not in a bad way?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #357 of 1,335
Strangely the AudioQuest Carbon does seem to be slightly brighter, than a drugstore USB cable? I use an 5 foot USB between my dock and the DAC/amp. There is an increase in resolution maybe, I still need to do some 2X blind tests? But the overall effect IS brightness, but not in a bad way?
Aq dont know how to make usb cables... Just move on.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #358 of 1,335
Aq dont know how to make usb cables... Just move on.

Lol what? You have an AudioQuest Forest?

Lots and lots of us on Head-Fi use the Carbon? First I’ve heard of such slander! Lol I’m totally happy, not changing a thing.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #359 of 1,335
For low cost I really like Wireworld Starlight. The new Micro B to A works really great with my Chord Mojo (super tight / secure connection) and sounds a lot better than the stock cable. Retail price I think is less than $100.

For my other hifi gear Ive really liked the XLO Ultraplus USB cable. Very fast / dynamic and clear, but without harshness. I think these are around $180 for 1M.

I've always liked what I heard with Ansuz USB cables, but mostly out of my price league. But if cost were no object, I'd probably use those.

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #360 of 1,335
Just to report back here, I replaced my standard USB cables with Supra cables in both my home systems. In my home office I run an original Hugo TT direct from iMac and listen via HD800s (stock standard). The Supra made quite a difference - tamed the brightness and restored tonal balance. In the big family room system I run the new Hugo TT2 from an iMac in an adjacent room, operated as a Roon Bridge and played through ATC active speakers. In this setup the Supra made almost no difference, just a tiny removal of HF glare. The cable it replaced did have RF chokes at either end so maybe there was less of a step change.
I summary, the Supra helped. And for the price, the difference is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back