What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Jan 25, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #316 of 1,267
Jan 25, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #317 of 1,267
At the moment I have a MadScientist Black Magic and a Wireworld Starlight Platinum. The Black Magic has very good resolution and a relaxed sound. The Wireworld is extremely resolving and dynamic, almost too much as it makes me nervous and tense....too much detail to handle. I might get used to it but at the moment I prefer the Black Magic( New Zealand boutique cable maker) which is also considerably cheaper than the Wireworld.
In case you think cables don't make a difference, please spare me your opinion....I am not interested.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #318 of 1,267
At the moment I have a MadScientist Black Magic and a Wireworld Starlight Platinum. The Black Magic has very good resolution and a relaxed sound. The Wireworld is extremely resolving and dynamic, almost too much as it makes me nervous and tense....too much detail to handle. I might get used to it but at the moment I prefer the Black Magic( New Zealand boutique cable maker) which is also considerably cheaper than the Wireworld.
In case you think cables don't make a difference, please spare me your opinion....I am not interested.
I agree. Its like Utopia when it comes to focus, dynamics and details... Copper cables should be must with starlight platinum.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #319 of 1,267
Blue Jeans Cable is very serious about selling good tested digital cables.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/data-cables/index.htm

Blue Jean Cable guys wouldn't know a great sounding/designed USB cable (or any other cable) if it hit them over their heads.
They're about as "in-tune" as the deaf (dumb?) chaps at ... darn, forgot the name, oh, Audioholics. Talk about drinking too much (or not enough) !

Some people, just don't 'get-it' -and definitely don't hear what countless others (with ears) do.

DH Labs USB is quite nice, as is AQ 'Carbon'. I'll report on the the AQ 'Diamond' once received, this week some time.
Oh, and perhaps XLO Ultra USB I've yet to audition (yet XLO has excellent analog cables: PRO, Ultra, Reference)

WW-'S7' lacks 'clarity/resolution' -but does have a (overly) organic tonality that, although 'pleasant-sounding', is simply too 'rich' (colored) for High-Rez performance.
Although, it is better than the immensely disappointing Shunyata 'Venom' -possessed of even more coloration.

pj

pj

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #320 of 1,267
Glad you are enjoying it. I see no real reason to go for anything else

Active circuit manipulation scares me. Sounds like the Audioquest Diamond.

If you really wanted to spend that much I think you would be better off with something like the Offramp 5 and ShortBlock USB filter.

Active Circuit Manipulation (AQ 'Diamond') ? You mean the insulation (DBS) bias system ?
It's not connected in any way to the signal conductor's; it simply 'saturates; the dielectric/insulation taking the insulating material out of the 'sound-quality altering' phenomenon a conductor's insulation is known to contribute.

pj

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #321 of 1,267
WW-'S7' lacks 'clarity/resolution' -but does have a (overly) organic tonality that, although 'pleasant-sounding', is simply too 'rich' (colored) for High-Rez performance.
Although, it is better than the immensely disappointing Shunyata 'Venom' -possessed of even more coloration.

The Shunyata Venom has been on the market for a while 50% off. I would consider it an entry-level, $99 USB cable with not too high expectations. Shunyata's strong suit is power cables and power distributors. Pretty decent cables in the Alpha series and some excellent ones in the Sigma for a lot of dough.

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #322 of 1,267
After using a ghent audio and monoprice usb cable ive noticed the variance in sound due to the cable used is significant anf plays a big role in the overall sound!

Does anyone have experience with:

Lavricables?
BMC's USB?
Forza Audio USB?
The new iFi Gemini 3.0?

Im looking to upgrade from my monoprice which seems to provide fair detail and warmth, at least in my system. The cables i listed seem to be less noted than others (AQ line, Curious, Wireworld and even the Black Magic by Mad Scientist).

Thoughts?

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #323 of 1,267
After using a ghent audio and monoprice usb cable ive noticed the variance in sound due to the cable used is significant anf plays a big role in the overall sound!

Does anyone have experience with:

Lavricables?
BMC's USB?
Forza Audio USB?
The new iFi Gemini 3.0?

Im looking to upgrade from my monoprice which seems to provide fair detail and warmth, at least in my system. The cables i listed seem to be less noted than others (AQ line, Curious, Wireworld and even the Black Magic by Mad Scientist).

Thoughts?
not on your list, but Supra cables are very good and decent value, sounded better than previous AQ Pearl I had. I'm now using a cheap optical which beats the Supra, try if you have the option. Sorry I can't be of any help with your list..

Jun 19, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #324 of 1,267
@Qute Beats Thanks! The exterior construction of the Supra looks very durable, up front. I cant seem to find what the inner material is. Copper wire? Silver? Jenving.com claimed the science of impedence matching is there so i think thats an important element. It's low cost is definitely attractive!

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #325 of 1,267
@Qute Beats Thanks! The exterior construction of the Supra looks very durable, up front. I cant seem to find what the inner material is. Copper wire? Silver? Jenving.com claimed the science of impedence matching is there so i think thats an important element. It's low cost is definitely attractive!
Believe it's copper. Yes it's attractive with the white sleeve, fairly thick though not overly so, still flexible and has a good feel to it. Cable has good shielding too. Many rate it highly, of course as with all these things it's how it sounds to you.

edit: grabbed box out, actually colour describes as ice blue. looks almost white. back of pack does not mention wire metal (but if silver would expect them to say), states it has 1 twisted pair for data and 1 twisted pair for power, each individually screened to block RFI.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #326 of 1,267
not on your list, but Supra cables are very good and decent value, sounded better than previous AQ Pearl I had. I'm now using a cheap optical which beats the Supra, try if you have the option. Sorry I can't be of any help with your list..
I bought a new PC to use optical, the lengths audio nuts will go to...

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #327 of 1,267
Of course! Sometimes we turn into this ball of energy that drives towards better SQ not stopping for anything. That's pretty much where I've been for the past couple years lol.

Something I'd like to mention though is the implementation of USB 3.0 in the market and the iFi Merc and Gemini being 3.0.

My Singxer F1 only accepts 2.0, and I know the Matrix X-Spdif 2 can accept a USB 3.0 connector but not sure if it carries the properties of 3.0 functionality.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Keeping the thread fresh!

Cheers :)

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #329 of 1,267

Silver-plated could potentially be an issue.

See NASA study where they discovered used silver-plated copper cabling to have a 'red plague' corrosion: https://nepp.nasa.gov/DocUploads/97164203-A4FB-479A-A075C918D51DD81E/ESA Red Plague.pdf

Also Ray Kimber talking about it:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #330 of 1,267
For real!? I heard of this 'red plague' I think a few days ago. That sucks because I built 4 AC cables made with silver plated copper! All 12 AWG!

Ahff. Time will tell I suppose.

Btw I ordered a few cables...

The 3' cable matters USB 3.0 ($5)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7RUWCU/ref=twister_B00D0QZVYQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The 1' Startech USB 3.0 ($6)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004395680/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and WIREWORLD Chroma 8 USB 3.0 ($43)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N2YCJMW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted to try a couple really cheap ones and those 2 seem to have some fair shielding, the typical kind.
The WIREWORLD is ultimately a test of it's design.

Definitely looking forward to hearing these USB 3.0 cables. And this is only made possible with the iFi iPurifier2 in my setup. I believe my PPA V2 usb card is 3.0 as well. I used a regular USB 3.0 printer cable that was like 5' long and it worked.

Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back