What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #332 of 1,242
Jun 20, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #333 of 1,242
Startech cable and Cable Matters USB 3.0 cables came in today.

First impressions: Startling. Incredible and totally unexpected.

Startech: VERY revealing and a veil has been lifted from my audio. More detailed and a slight brighter than the Cable Matters.
Cable Matters: Just as startling as the Startech in resolution and unveiling. A little warmer and sounds slightly more muted in comparison to the Startech.

It has to be something with the USB 3.0. Truly. I was not expecting this kind of change in the sound but it has happened and I won't be going to USB 2.0 that's for sure.

Both cables still need to be burned in I would say for at least 20 hours? Maybe 50? I don't know the length of time.

WIREWORLD comes in tomorrow. I'll make sure to report some first impressions on that cable.

Jun 23, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #334 of 1,242
So the WW Chroma 8 is going back. I just can't handle the sharpness and detail retrieval, this is just personal preference.

For the Chroma 8 it seems to bring a slight more detail and clarity to the sound. Audio seems to be slightly tighter. But I prefer a smoother and warmer sound like in that of the Startech cable. Could it be the shortness in length of the Startech? Not sure, but I think I'll be better off saving money towards that Gemini3.0 beast.

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #335 of 1,242
I've tried a bunch of cables in my headphone system (Vanguard & Ghent Audio dual head USB 2.0, iFi Audio freebie, Startech & Belkin 3.0 cables, in assorted 18", 3' and 6' lengths). I am now using this USB 3.0 A to B male adapter instead of a cable. Best sounding solution so far:
https://www.newegg.ca/p/36M-0009-000H5

Laptop > USB 3.0 adapter > iPurifier2 > USB B 2.0 female to USB mini male > Korg DS-DAC-100M.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #337 of 1,242
This IS an interesting discussion. I have read through it for the last hour or two and found it very helpful. There's not much else like it on the web, so thank you all for contributing.

I have just installed a new Chord Hugo TT2 driven by USB from an iMac. Love the unit but at high volumes it can be a bit bright and hard compared to the original TT which it replaced. I am thinking that the stock USB cable could be improved. I am also thinking about a microrendu or other similar dedicated audio source between the Mac and the DAC, but that is a separate discussion.

Having read through the thread, it seems that Supra, Oyaide and Wireworld are well regarded by a wide number of people posting here. Having emptied the wallet on the TT2 I don't want to go over the top right now, so Chord Sarum and similar will have to wait for another time. If anyone has views on other USB cables I should also consider I would be very pleased to hear them.

I don't think the digital source discussion is anywhere near finished yet so do hope this thread or a similar one keeps going.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #338 of 1,242
I've looked into this as well, and enjoyed this thread. I've also wondered about the Curious USB Cable and WyWires A/B litespd usb cables. I just recently purchased and RME Adi-2 DAC and I saw someone recommending the Oyaide Neo d+ Series Class S USB Cable as well (For the RME DAC).

I've never tried any "Audiophile" USB Cables. I just use the one that came with the RME, and use the one that came with the Woo Wa7 (Used it for Mimby as well). So echoing the post above, anyone that has positive/or negative things to say about USB cable "upgrades" please chime in. Thanks!

Jul 31, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #340 of 1,242
This IS an interesting discussion. I have read through it for the last hour or two and found it very helpful. There's not much else like it on the web, so thank you all for contributing.

I have just installed a new Chord Hugo TT2 driven by USB from an iMac. Love the unit but at high volumes it can be a bit bright and hard compared to the original TT which it replaced. I am thinking that the stock USB cable could be improved. I am also thinking about a microrendu or other similar dedicated audio source between the Mac and the DAC, but that is a separate discussion.

Having read through the thread, it seems that Supra, Oyaide and Wireworld are well regarded by a wide number of people posting here. Having emptied the wallet on the TT2 I don't want to go over the top right now, so Chord Sarum and similar will have to wait for another time. If anyone has views on other USB cables I should also consider I would be very pleased to hear them.

I don't think the digital source discussion is anywhere near finished yet so do hope this thread or a similar one keeps going.

Cheers
I'm currently using Supra on my TT2. Sounding fine, did not try the stock to compare. I've used AQ Pearl before and the Supra is better. I even added a bunch of ferrites to the AQ Pearl to try and improve things but was not happy with it. I'll soon be on Optical though, which should be better again.

edit: if you haven't already you should check out the TT2 thread.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #341 of 1,242
for the money? im out

Jul 31, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #342 of 1,242
Jul 31, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #343 of 1,242
Sorry thought it was a different thread. My USB cable not only provides a rfi bubble around my system but it gives off skittles on demand. But I digress. but for the money.....

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #344 of 1,242
Sorry thought it was a different thread. My USB cable not only provides a rfi bubble around my system but it gives off skittles on demand. But I digress.
ever try toslink?

Jul 31, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #345 of 1,242
At some point, yes. But no skittles so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back