What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Dec 11, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #286 of 1,335
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #287 of 1,335
I'd been a long time believer that USB cable could make no difference and for last 5 years used a cheap generic of suitable length (e.g. amazon basics). Bits are bits etc and I read articles that supported my belief.
Recently finally decided to try an audio cable on advice of trusted dealer and bought Audioquest Pearl.
The difference was significant, music more enjoyable, can hear details I'd not picked up before, just better in every way.
Now of course wondering if there are further gains to be had, or whether one just needs a good quality cable.

So has anyone used the AQ Pearl and moved on to better? I'm willing to go up to around £100 if anyone has recommendations, would want another decent jump in SQ to make the spend worthwhile. Thanks.
Try a blind test. You could be surprised.

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #288 of 1,335
Try a blind test. You could be surprised.
Blind test the two I have, the AQ is clearly better. My son reached same conclusion. Now that doesn't mean the AQ performs any differently to any other good quality data cable (the AQ was only £25), just that's it's better than what it substituted, so made me happy, but leaves me wondering if there is further improvement possible or not...

Dec 16, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #289 of 1,335
I'd been a long time believer that USB cable could make no difference and for last 5 years used a cheap generic of suitable length (e.g. amazon basics). Bits are bits etc and I read articles that supported my belief.
Recently finally decided to try an audio cable on advice of trusted dealer and bought Audioquest Pearl.
The difference was significant, music more enjoyable, can hear details I'd not picked up before, just better in every way.
Now of course wondering if there are further gains to be had, or whether one just needs a good quality cable.

So has anyone used the AQ Pearl and moved on to better? I'm willing to go up to around £100 if anyone has recommendations, would want another decent jump in SQ to make the spend worthwhile. Thanks.

If you have good enough equipment you can hear difference between USB cables. I was running the AudioQuest Cinnamon and heard a definite improvement when I upgraded to the AudioQuest Carbon, more detailed and dynamic.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #290 of 1,335
OK, after one
Look what I just received. The mighty « curious USB Cable ».

My USB tests can continue for best connection between my Aurender W20 and my Terminator R2R DAC ...

I will report

So... after more that one month of listening I can say that the Curious USB is a still at home. So, it is a keeper :wink:

curious-cables-usb.jpg

Indeed, I find it offering quite a good balance between analytic and warm musicality. And also, while not being cheap, I find it a very good deal at almost 1/10th the price of the Synergetic Research Galileo LE that I decided not to kept and did not impressed me so much.

Indeed, I believe that with those +1000 $ cable, more than half of the price is Marketing gimmics, and that 500$ is the sweep spot...

Galileo LE.png Galileo LE close-up.png

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #291 of 1,335
OK, after one

So... after more that one month of listening I can say that the Curious USB is a still at home. So, it is a keeper :wink:

Indeed, I find it offering quite a good balance between analytic and warm musicality. And also, while not being cheap, I find it a very good deal at almost 1/10th the price of the Synergetic Research Galileo LE that I decided not to kept and did not impressed me so much.

Indeed, I believe that with those +1000 $ cable, more than half of the price is Marketing gimmics, and that 500$ is the sweep spot...

i am awaiting both curious usb cable and iso regen that will be used with my chord qutest and ifi ican pro---hifiman he1000v2

will update you once i get my package, lets see how curious cable will stand against the cheap aucharm usb cable that got recommended here for 30 usd, if i dont hear a difference then i will never ever buy into gears that are not making a real difference, and I will just change headphones as to me that is where the real difference is worth spending. But I was open minded and I went ahead and bought the curious cable and iso regen so that I can evaluate those recs myself

for me it was so difficult yesterday to hear a difference of using my ak se100 fed into my ifi ican pro, comparing it to my chord qutest to ifi ican pro setup, which made me wonder if i even needed the chord qutest

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #292 of 1,335
OK, after one

Maybe change headphones to warmer ones than rather look at cables what have distortion? in other words loss of energy and details. I have 1 cable and it sound very pleasant, but it sound like lot of things are missing on the sound... Personally im tired of warm gear, just lost details, resolution and realism to fix bad gear...

Dec 23, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #294 of 1,335
just got iso regen and curious cable and i yes i can hear improvement, i will do comparisons tomorrow with and without

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #296 of 1,335
Anyone, who wants to hear if a USB cable could make a difference, can make rather cheap experiment. You`ll need 1 Schiit PYST USB, which is made by Straight Wire and costs $20 and 1 cheap "USB printer cable" which is made by somebody in China and could be bought in any local store for one dollar or something like that.

I used to be very skeptical about digital cables. But in my setup (MBP - Chord Qutest - Violectric V200 - Fostex TH-900) there is clear and undoubted difference between PYST and "printer cable". Printer cable sounds really awful. I`ve tried more expensive AuioQuest Cinnamon cable and it sounds better than PYST, but the difference is much smaller. Now I want to try something shielded to see if this can be even better.

From the point of price/performance ratio Schiit PYST is really good option for "audiophile USB cable".

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #297 of 1,335
Anyone, who wants to hear if a USB cable could make a difference, can make rather cheap experiment. You`ll need 1 Schiit PYST USB, which is made by Straight Wire and costs $20 and 1 cheap "USB printer cable" which is made by somebody in China and could be bought in any local store for one dollar or something like that.

I used to be very skeptical about digital cables. But in my setup (MBP - Chord Qutest - Violectric V200 - Fostex TH-900) there is clear and undoubted difference between PYST and "printer cable". Printer cable sounds really awful. I`ve tried more expensive AuioQuest Cinnamon cable and it sounds better than PYST, but the difference is much smaller. Now I want to try something shielded to see if this can be even better.

From the point of price/performance ratio Schiit PYST is really good option for "audiophile USB cable".
Ignorant people will say better metals dont sound better on usb cables, but it sure do. Better metals = better timing, better details, separation, speed. Honestly usb cables actually improve sound, sometimes like headphone cables is mostly different sound signature when same size gauge is considered.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #298 of 1,335
OK, after one

Funny, I had the opposite experience. I like the Curious but in my system the Galileo stomped all over it. Maybe this is dependent on the gear you have.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #299 of 1,335
The Audioquest Diamond is very good.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #300 of 1,335
Funny, I had the opposite experience. I like the Curious but in my system the Galileo stomped all over it. Maybe this is dependent on the gear you have.

Well I have to admit that I got tired spending a lot of time testing cables and equipments. So, I made a big decision for 2019 : listening to my music rather than listening top my equipments... :smile_phones:

his is why I decided to settle with the Curious without doing an more A-B-A-B... between the cables, and all I can say is that I am happy with the Curious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back