What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #226 of 1,335
I think we are mostly in agreement.

I believe so. :)

I never claimed "hearing" doesn't matter.

You said that "Could be the cable, but there are ways to objectively measure if the cable is changing the signal in any way that could be audible." Maybe the cable is not changing the signal at all but somehow contaminates the DAC with noise it picked up. Or it could be something else, an entirely new phenomenon that we are absolutely unaware yet.

But you're right, that part of my answer should have been addressed to bfreedma, who said that he would be first in line for a "high end" USB cable if objective evidence was produced by an independent study.

Ultimately, it's the only thing that does, even if it just placebo.

Exactly. If my perception of a better sound quality results in greater enjoyment listening to music, I happily pay the price of the placebo that caused it.

I'm just saying that if you have scientifically sound and proven methods of objectively measuring the signal, and the signal is measured on both ends of the cable, and is identical on both ends of the cable, then the cable itself cannot be affecting the sound...

I seriously doubt that it's ever the case with USB audio, a protocol that doesn't have error correction.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #227 of 1,335
... 2 lengths of iFi Gemini which actually are not super cheap.
Tell me about it, I'm using the same cable.

I did hear a difference between the PPA Audio double and single USB cables I am currently using vs. the Gemini, Furutech, Pangea, Curious, Supra, Uptone USPCB and Elijah I have had in my system.
PPA Audio double, which is coincidentally the most expensive one of your USB cables, right? :)

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #228 of 1,335
Tell me about it, I'm using the same cable.

PPA Audio double, which is coincidentally the most expensive one of your USB cables, right? :)

The PPA double is 1.8m and I think was the most expensive.. but possibly the best sounding I have tried in my setup is the PPA Single Red in 0.2m which is now immediately before the DAC (after a Recovery). This offered my system a better balance than the Curious, Elijah (and USPCB) in approximately the same length.
The Pangea AG is a similarly balanced/detailed presentation and I think would offer a nice point of reference to compare vs. a well built stock cable.

In my experience, I did not hear any benefit to adhering to a 1.5m + length, and I was able to compare side by side with the original iFi Gemini (I had 2 of the .7m and 1 of the 1.5m). In fact I would probably prefer the Pangea AG 0.5m to the original Gemini 1.5m in my system if the position would be the cable leading directly into the DAC. IFi makes good stuff, I have bought more than 10 iFi pieces and they always perform as advertised, but the original USB cables were not the best match for my preferences.

My guess is I can replace the PPA 1.8m double with my Pangea AG 2m and maybe not notice due to the cable is positioned between the computer and the Recovery currently.

I do not think a premium USB cable is a good place to invest funds unless the rest of the system and room are already to your liking, and you have already tweaked interconnects, etc. to be going in the direction you prefer... but since I have tried a lot of these and am a bit surprised by the Pangea AG, I offer my experience to readers here looking to check if there is any value for them to pursue the USB cable matter further.

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #229 of 1,335
The PPA double is 1.8m and I think was the most expensive.. but possibly the best sounding I have tried in my setup is the PPA Single Red in 0.2m which is now immediately before the DAC (after a Recovery). This offered my system a better balance than the Curious, Elijah (and USPCB) in approximately the same length.
The Pangea AG is a similarly balanced/detailed presentation and I think would offer a nice point of reference to compare vs. a well built stock cable.

In my experience, I did not hear any benefit to adhering to a 1.5m + length, and I was able to compare side by side with the original iFi Gemini (I had 2 of the .7m and 1 of the 1.5m). In fact I would probably prefer the Pangea AG 0.5m to the original Gemini 1.5m in my system if the position would be the cable leading directly into the DAC. IFi makes good stuff, I have bought more than 10 iFi pieces and they always perform as advertised, but the original USB cables were not the best match for my preferences.

My guess is I can replace the PPA 1.8m double with my Pangea AG 2m and maybe not notice due to the cable is positioned between the computer and the Recovery currently.

I do not think a premium USB cable is a good place to invest funds unless the rest of the system and room are already to your liking, and you have already tweaked interconnects, etc. to be going in the direction you prefer... but since I have tried a lot of these and am a bit surprised by the Pangea AG, I offer my experience to readers here looking to check if there is any value for them to pursue the USB cable matter further.

If only there was a Pangea AG micro usb.. :frowning2:

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #231 of 1,335
I have bought a few of these, Volutz usb cables, they look good and solidly built.

They are on amazon.co.uk

I bought 3.3ft and 6.6 ft versions and added small ferrite choke on both ends and im my opinion they are excellent usb to usb micro, the price has been slashed and the cables I got I reallu do think they are great, one word of warning, get some 3mm 5mm 7mm and 9mm ferrite chokes to clip onto the wires to nullify RFI interference.

Well worth buying these instesd of using generic cables, plus they are reinforced cables.

I hope this helps

A5B6CB5E-C181-4693-B40F-94B219447150.png

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #233 of 1,335
eh sadly I think he refers to those one http://ppaproduct.blogspot.it/2013/07/usb-cable.html

can @motberg tell me if you tried the slim red? It cost around the same as the Supra, so I'm wondering which one is better

Hi,

The PPA website I use is http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/
I have 2 red slims (0.3m and 0.5m) , my perception in my system is they offer a clearer presentation than the Supra, while the Supra was smoother, maybe more forgiving at the top end..

The Supra looks cool though :)
... the iFi Gemini looks even cooler !

Especially if I needed a custom length or special connectors, then the PPA model would be preferred.. though I could not guarantee that the cable meets any type of USB specification.

If the stock Supra model suits your specific requirements, then you could be confident that brand offers a well engineered product that should retain its resale value. If I remember correctly, my Supra had some type of official-looking QC tag attached which, combined with the brand presence, would inspire confidence in the investment.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #234 of 1,335
I just ran the cardas clear in my main system for some hours and took a listen. Absolute rubbish ! Highs are sibilant, the noise floor seems higher and just shouty overall. Switching back to the chord usb was a relief !
I'm curious about the Pangea Ag, it appears this cables is not in production anymore ?

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #235 of 1,335
I managed to get another cable I've been wanting to compare with my trusty Chord usb cable - Oyaide d+ class A. After a few hours on the cable, I just did some listening. The Oyaide is such a natural, spacious sounding cable with great details. Upper notes are smooth/refined and the bass has nice weight and true to the source. Love this cable and prefer it to the chord and kitsune usb cable. So much so, I just ordered its bigger brother, Oyaide d+ class s made with rhodium plugs and bigger gauge connectors. The Oyaide is a usb cable done right and doesn't cost a fortune. Highly recommended ! If memory serves me right, it surpasses the DH labs silver sonic that I heard sometime ago. The silversonic make the upper midrange and treble a bit too prominent.

Its important to test usb cables on a good system that is transparent to be able to really come to make a meaningful conclusion. I tested these on Headamp GS-X mkII with a Kitsune Level 3 Holo dac fed from a singex su-1 using I2S. The singex is connected to my mac with the aforementioned usb cable. The Oyaide is a really really good cable and fantastic value. I dont get compensated for saying this. Just passing on a good product that I dont see mentioned that much.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #236 of 1,335
I do not think a premium USB cable is a good place to invest funds unless the rest of the system and room are already to your liking, and you have already tweaked interconnects, etc. to be going in the direction you prefer...
You're right about this, experimenting with USB cables is definitely not a place to start. Assuming that they are both in specs, the SQ difference between a great USB cable and an average one is less than between two speaker cables or interconnects. Therefore, a good enough system is critical to reveal this difference. In my experience, a carefully chosen $5,000-10,000 system is already capable of it. How I see it is that you owe yourself to test it at least if your gear is there. If not, it's a non-issue for you.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #237 of 1,335
I managed to get another cable I've been wanting to compare with my trusty Chord usb cable - Oyaide d+ class A. After a few hours on the cable, I just did some listening. The Oyaide is such a natural, spacious sounding cable with great details. Upper notes are smooth/refined and the bass has nice weight and true to the source. Love this cable and prefer it to the chord and kitsune usb cable. So much so, I just ordered its bigger brother, Oyaide d+ class s made with rhodium plugs and bigger gauge connectors. The Oyaide is a usb cable done right and doesn't cost a fortune. Highly recommended ! If memory serves me right, it surpasses the DH labs silver sonic that I heard sometime ago. The silversonic make the upper midrange and treble a bit too prominent.

Its important to test usb cables on a good system that is transparent to be able to really come to make a meaningful conclusion. I tested these on Headamp GS-X mkII with a Kitsune Level 3 Holo dac fed from a singex su-1 using I2S. The singex is connected to my mac with the aforementioned usb cable. The Oyaide is a really really good cable and fantastic value. I dont get compensated for saying this. Just passing on a good product that I dont see mentioned that much.

Do you mean this cable: https://www.ebay.de/itm/NEO-OYAIDE-...109471?hash=item41dac3585f:g:bWYAAOSwV0RXwHVI

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #239 of 1,335
I'm currently using the Chord silver plus USB cable with Mini M-DAC and not really satisfied what I'm hearing. I feel I was hearing better using my old Denon dvd/cd player using same setup as DAC. More foot tapping musical.

I would like to try to get better soundstage and clarity without spending too much. The DAC is connected using ecosse maestro interconnects to MF A3 dual mono amp. Listening is done through KEF RDM2 monitor speakers with a REL SUB or Fidelio X2.

Currently I use a simple Lindy USB B (printer) female to USB Micro male adapter to connect the cable to the DAC from a PC.

I'm wondering if this could be depreciating my sound quality ?

Since buying the Lindy adapter I have discovered a dearer Audioquest adapter. Could swapping adapters help ?
Not sure if there is anything complicated going on in the adapters that could affect the signal quality.

Last option is to buy a Micro USB DAC cable such as Supra - ie no adapter. Audioquest cinnamon is another one I have eyes on but can only afford it used at a discount. I need 1.5-2m in length. Any other cables worth considering around £50 mark ?

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #240 of 1,335
there might be slight difference between a cheap cable and less cheap cable but there is a big difference in sound between USB ports, the blue 3.0 and red 3.1 ports sound horrible and compressed compared to 2.0 ports. Anyone notice this too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back