What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Mar 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #211 of 1,242
It's a little more than I wanted to spend. And I don't like the way it looks that much. If it was for sure a major improvement , I would c insider it, but I think I can find one a little cheaper that I like just as much. Another one I am considering is DH labs silver son is USB. But it's kinda high.

I compared the chord to the DH labs silver sonic and preferred the chord for the bottom and high end rendering. The DH sounded a bit thin by comparison. Preferred the look of the DH but sound is a higher priority to me than cosmetics.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #212 of 1,242
I Preferred the look of the DH but sound is a higher priority to me than cosmetics.

Thanks for the input. Yeah sound is more important to me as well. Hoping to find best of both worlds, and closer to 50-75 $ range. Will see!

Btw, got to hear a LCD4 via a holo spring l3 dac with a blue GSX mk2 from MR Headamp himself at a meet not long ago in NC, that is the best system I've heard. Well, the sr009 with BHSE was about as good IMO. Both beat the Zana Dues w/Utopia but I like more bass than it had. If you hear soneone sneak in and listen to your gear for a little bit one night, it was the other guy lol!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #213 of 1,242
can someone suggest me a micro usb to usb type a cable under 50 dollars?
it is so much difference between supra or monoprice?
is different than an interconnect cable where shorter is better?

thanks in advance

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #214 of 1,242
can someone suggest me a micro usb to usb type a cable under 50 dollars?
it is so much difference between supra or monoprice?
is different than an interconnect cable where shorter is better?

thanks in advance

I didn't know until told here and looked it up. From what I read, u want it to be at least 1.5 meters and no more than 5 meters (if I remember right)

Monoprice cables are a great value. Very good for their cost. The difference between a $5, 50, and 500 cable with just get arguments. I think there are slight differences. But you need a capable system to hear them. A $99 amp with $200 headphones is drastically different than a TOTL system. I upgraded basically everything except my usb, so considering a new one (and maybe a gen 5 usb on my Yggy!)

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #215 of 1,242
Yes, until objective evidence indicates otherwise... I'll be first in line for a "high end" USB cable if objective evidence is produced by an independent study.
I totally agree that any audible difference originates in a cause that could objectively be proven. Here's the problem though. Most of the time your perception way precedes the publicly available evidence. I will not discard my perception just because what I hear is not (yet) proven by objective evidence produced by an independent study.

I was excited to hear the first CDs in the early 80s. I really wanted to like it but it turned out to be a total disappointment. Sure there was no noise but it sounded terrible: dull, uninviting, flat. The "evidence" was there (at least most people thought it was), digital sounded perfect on paper but in reality it didn't. Early pro A/D converters sucked, early CD players' D/A converters sucked, and pro audio people needed time to learn their new tools. It took long years to develop their tools and skills to make the CD sound great.

What I'm trying to say here is USB audio is too young for us to assume that we already know everything about it. Consequently, it is certainly possible that we hear something but it cannot be proven yet.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #216 of 1,242
I think you are confusing analog signal with electrical signal.
You're right, wrong choice of words, my bad.

I agree the cable is not "digital"... There's no such thing as a digital or analog cable.
This was exactly my point there. I wanted to shed some light on one of the most common USB audio misconceptions.

As soon as you introduce human hearing into the equation you are introducing a plethora of subjectivity and brain games. ... "Hearing" is not a scientific or objective testing method. ... The power of suggestion is real, too.
True but we talking about our hobby. If cannot share our subjective experiences we end up communicating exclusively with measurement graphs, diagrams, and math equations. Pretty boring, imho.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #217 of 1,242
I hear a difference in usb cables. Nothing major, just sounds a little different. I have a pretty good system and wanted to upgrade my $6 cable I'm using now. Wanted to stay under $100 (1.5m).
This is the only thing that matters. You hear a tiny difference and you want to improve your system's sound quality. The budget is $100. You might want to take a look at the Shunyata Venom USB Cable, there's a half-price promotion.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #218 of 1,242
I didn't know until told here and looked it up. From what I read, u want it to be at least 1.5 meters and no more than 5 meters (if I remember right)

Monoprice cables are a great value. Very good for their cost. The difference between a $5, 50, and 500 cable with just get arguments. I think there are slight differences. But you need a capable system to hear them. A $99 amp with $200 headphones is drastically different than a TOTL system. I upgraded basically everything except my usb, so considering a new one (and maybe a gen 5 usb on my Yggy!)

Thanks for the answer :)

So I'm wondering the reason why some good cable are very short, such as Elijah Konvertible (only for curiosity because they are out of my budget)

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #219 of 1,242

So I'm wondering the reason why some good cable are very short, such as Elijah Konvertible (only for curiosity because they are out of my budget)

My perception of the length issue is that the 1.5m recommendation was made in reference to a SPDIF digital transmission, not USB...
Short USB is fine IMHO and personal experience....

In another forum was a discussion of a USB cable named Lush.. in the middle of that thread were some very knowledgeable folks discussing possible ways that a USB cable could technically affect the sound... very interesting reading if you do not mind wasting time sorting though all the normal forum hash accompanying this topic...

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #220 of 1,242
My perception of the length issue is that the 1.5m recommendation was made in reference to a SPDIF digital transmission, not USB...
In most cases 1.5m "digital" cables sound a bit better than their 1m or shorter counterparts. This is true for USB, SPDIF, and AES/EBU cables. The theory is that a longer cable allows for internal reflections to be far enough out of sync as to not interfere with the data receiver.

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #221 of 1,242
In most cases 1.5m "digital" cables sound a bit better than their 1m or shorter counterparts. This is true for USB, SPDIF, and AES/EBU cables. The theory is that a longer cable allows for internal reflections to be far enough out of sync as to not interfere with the data receiver.

Not in my experience... I had the .7m and 1.5m iFi Gemini cables and they both sounded identical in my setup..

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #222 of 1,242
Not in my experience... I had the .7m and 1.5m iFi Gemini cables and they both sounded identical in my setup..
That's why I'm saying only your experience matters. You don't hear any difference = no need to buy something more expensive. You have just saved some money that could be used for another system improvement. It's all good.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #223 of 1,242
True but we talking about our hobby. If cannot share our subjective experiences we end up communicating exclusively with measurement graphs, diagrams, and math equations. Pretty boring, imho.
I think we are mostly in agreement. I never claimed "hearing" doesn't matter. Ultimately, it's the only thing that does, even if it just placebo. I'm just saying that if you have scientifically sound and proven methods of objectively measuring the signal, and the signal is measured on both ends of the cable, and is identical on both ends of the cable, then the cable itself cannot be affecting the sound (something else is, possibly even one's subjective opinions about the cable).

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #224 of 1,242

The other guys already replied, but wanted to add that most companies make a lot of different lengths of cables. No matter if expensive or not. And most times, the best cable is no cable, meaning the shorter the better. But there may be exceptions.

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #225 of 1,242
That's why I'm saying only your experience matters. You don't hear any difference = no need to buy something more expensive. You have just saved some money that could be used for another system improvement. It's all good.

I did not hear a difference between the 2 lengths of iFi Gemini which actually are not super cheap.

I did hear a difference between the PPA Audio double and single USB cables I am currently using vs. the Gemini, Furutech, Pangea, Curious, Supra, Uptone USPCB and Elijah I have had in my system.
The Pangea AG is the best value in my experience, and I would chose that vs. any of the above except for the PPA models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back