What's the best sounding DAP on the market ????
Sep 22, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #226 of 240

Quote:
LOL!!  Well, I'm kinda on a budget right now (sadly, not really a music budget at the moment, though). My library used to be much bigger way back in the day. I probably owned hundreds of dollars in vinyl, alone, but got rid of those a long long time ago.

But I'm slowly rebuilding. . .it takes time
biggrin.gif

BTW, I should also mention for clarification, my "library" is all in 256 kbps AAC files. I am sure that if I was to convert these all to LossLess files that it would be a much larger library in terms of GB's
cool.gif

Ah, that makes sense.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #227 of 240

Quote:

BTW, I should also mention for clarification, my "library" is all in 256 kbps AAC files. I am sure that if I was to convert these all to LossLess files that it would be a much larger library in terms of GB's
cool.gif

I'm a big fan of 320 kbps.  My ears can't tell the difference between that and lossless, and it takes up so much less space.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #228 of 240
I agree, its almost impossible to hear a distinct difference, unless of course you happen to own a set of earphones or headphones (or speakers) in the $500+ range, I suppose. I don't, so it doesn't bother me.

But I am looking forward to getting to try out the CrossFade M-80's, soon, though. Hopefully they won't be too revealing of poor-quality music files. Only time will tell.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #229 of 240

Quote:
I agree, its almost impossible to hear a distinct difference, unless of course you happen to own a set of earphones or headphones (or speakers) in the $500+ range, I suppose. I don't, so it doesn't bother me.

But I am looking forward to getting to try out the CrossFade M-80's, soon, though. Hopefully they won't be too revealing of poor-quality music files. Only time will tell.

I do, and I still can't tell the difference.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #231 of 240
I have 40.3 GB. Mostly FLAC. I think the Cowon S9 is an excellent player. I haven't tried much else so I can't make a judgement call, but my friends Voodoo-ed Galaxy S sounds just as good (my S2 sounds horrible). The S9 is definitely better than a rockboxed iPod Classic 1G (out of hp-out). Tbh, I can tell the difference between FLAC and 320kbps. The FLAC is louder at the same volume level and just clearer. I think that there's a huge difference between 320 and 1200. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #232 of 240

Quote:

If you want to here difference, use a high quality/midrange speaker system.
The one i heard/hear, is (new) about 50000$. And it sound very strange with normal CDs. I mostly use gold-plated CDs and hq recordings in that case. Otherwise the sound is unfocused and all over the room.
Of course just saying.....

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #233 of 240
I'm not using this as my main player - I have a Cowon J3 - (32gb+32gb card) for that - I also have my 2gb Clip+ with a 16gb card for more music in a smaller size -

This is just for recent music and podcasts etc - In regards to library size - Just checked and I have 396gb of music all together on my 1TB drive - I just collect and collect and download from sites such as RCRD LBL etc -
redface.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #234 of 240
One word for the Teclast T51 "MUSICAL" it's all there. It is my go to portable. Just the T51 and some decent IEMs and your better off than most on the road to listening nirvana.

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #235 of 240

Quote:
The files are Apple Lossless that I converted from 24 bit FLAC files I got from HD Tracks. I can't sync my Moving Pictures by Rush album nor my Jazz At The Pawn Shop Album. I'm going to have to reconvert these files back to FLAC and use them on my Clip+.

24 bit. No go for iFail.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #237 of 240

Quote:
That's quite asinine.

No it's not. The iPod can't play back high res files. Are you directing that toward my post or at the iPod's lack of a good high quality processing system?

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #240 of 240
@DigitalFreak, I feel you man, it's such a tough decision. I have a cowon s9 and I'm also looking for a new dap. Going to other forums and reading on everyone's personal reviews don't make things easier either. The new sony walkman z-series came out and hopefully this supports flac because of its android support. One of the reasons why I'm moving away from cowon was that I have a macbook. I do use linux and microsoft on pc's as well. 

My s9 crashes everytime I unplug it after transferring my flac or any other file. Lots of people use mac these days and it'd be nice if I don't have to reinstall the firmware everytime I use my s9 and have issues with other macs. The buttons were easy to break and the touch UI could do so much better.

The eq settings are just phenomenal on cowons though. If there was a way to port those eq (bbe) settings on the sony walkman z series with flac support, I'll be one helluva happy customer. But we can't get all we want in a dap these days so I'll just leave it at that.

Sound quality, smooth user interface, build quality and flac support. That is all I need for a dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back