What's the best sounding DAP on the market ????
Sep 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #196 of 240

Quote:
Just ordered a Refurbished iPod Nano 1st gen - Really looking forward hearing it
redface.gif

How much did you pay, if i may ask?

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #197 of 240
Quote:
How much did you pay, if i may ask?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Apple-iPod-nano-4GB-1st-Generation-White-Refurbished/3982956/product.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-Nano-1st-Generation-White-2-GB-extras-/110707702345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c6b17a49

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #199 of 240

Quote:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Apple-iPod-nano-4GB-1st-Generation-White-Refurbished/3982956/product.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-Nano-1st-Generation-White-2-GB-extras-/110707702345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c6b17a49

Thanks, but 77,65Euro is a bit expensive for my taste.

Quote:
I'm in the UK - I got it for £32.99 - White 4GB 1st Gen - All the reviews are saying it's like new condition so thumbs up
redface.gif

Also got a pleather pouch for it for £2.99 -

...but 32,99 Pounds/37Euro is not bad.
The Euro - Pound exchange rate has really dropped dramatically.

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #200 of 240
It has actually, I noticed it when I went to Barcelona a few months back - Crazy. They'll be worth the same soon.
cool.gif

I'll post some pictures of it on the 'Pictures Of Your Portable Rig' thread - So you can see the condition of it if you like - I'm hoping it's really nice
redface.gif

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #201 of 240

Quote:
It has actually, I noticed it when I went to Barcelona a few months back - Crazy. They'll be worth the same soon.
cool.gif

I'll post some pictures of it on the 'Pictures Of Your Portable Rig' thread - So you can see the condition of it if you like - I'm hoping it's really nice
redface.gif

Thank you, i am really interested to see in which condition refurbished players can be/are. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #202 of 240
According to some of the comments in this topic Cowon products' SQ is outclassed by quite a few devices. Anyone care to recommend a device ~150? The only features I'm looking for is 32GB (or more) storage or support for SDHC and excellent battery life. And of course good SQ. Would the Fuze or Fuze+ with a portable amp be a good option?

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #203 of 240
IMHO, Cowon devices have the best SQ of any portable I have ever owned or listened to.  Just don't own a Mac if you want a Cowon device.

Other good competitors are the Hifiman 601 and 801, and some of the top tier Sony devices.

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #205 of 240
Quote:

Brick? for sure, but not something I hate totally. But then, it comes with a remote, so what do you expect?
tongue.gif

Here's project86's review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/496326/review-qls-qa-350-solid-state-transport-amazing-sound-and-versatility

Go back a page for my comments on V2's battery life or the lack of it. It's not great in looks, general usage, size or weight departments. Of course, there's no UI other than a 8 character display of the track name, even that too is hard to understand sometimes as it messes up album names. If I had <artist> - <year> - <album> pattern for folder names, you'd expect them to play chronologically. But, it would play the fifth album first, sixth next and so on. It does not support sub-folders either.

But the good thing is it is claimed to have a 0.2 ohm output impedance and it does not mess up the signature or hiss with IEMs and headphones. It has good output power too. If I knew how to measure output Z, I could at least confirm it myself. It may not make any sense as a 'portable' player next to Clip+, but at least the brick sings well enough to make me keep it
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #206 of 240
Reading this thread has made me weary and depressed. The players that seem to have a good intuitive UI aren't the best players audio quality wise and the players that sound great are primitive looking and have crappy glitchy UI's or no UI at all. That's not even factoring in some of them are the size of a 80's walkman and have terrible battery life. I don't get it it's not like Apple or Sony broke the bank on decent UI design. I'm sure if someone just sat down and put some solid thought behind it and devoted a few extra months on product UI development they could create a good UI for a great sounding DAP. Heck if you don't want to start from scratch on a OS then just use Android and build off of that. Heck maybe I'll just go with a Sony player as a iPod alternative. By the way anyone know the output impedance on a Sony player? From what I have researched the lower the impedance the better.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #207 of 240

Quote:
Reading this thread has made me weary and depressed. The players that seem to have a good intuitive UI aren't the best players audio quality wise and the players that sound great are primitive looking and have crappy glitchy UI's or no UI at all. That's not even factoring in some of them are the size of a 80's walkman and have terrible battery life. I don't get it it's not like Apple or Sony broke the bank on decent UI design. I'm sure if someone just sat down and put some solid thought behind it and devoted a few extra months on product UI development they could create a good UI for a great sounding DAP. Heck if you don't want to start from scratch on a OS then just use Android and build off of that. Heck maybe I'll just go with a Sony player as a iPod alternative. By the way anyone know the output impedance on a Sony player? From what I have researched the lower the impedance the better.

No need for stress DF...

There are many variables upon considering a DAP.  Luckily there are many to choose from now with many possibilities.  What works for you might not work for others.  That's the beauty.  I have tried various players and all bring something to the table.  I remember when I purchased my Archos Jukebox 15gb back in 2002 I believe.  I thought that huge brick was it.  lol...I remember when I would take it to the gym and folks looked at me like I was carrying a boombox with headphones.....Times have definitely changed and I have moved on to others (still own it though), but it's great to see how far DAPs have come so far....

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #208 of 240
IMHO a lot of the "shortlisted" bests DAP sounds better than an I-Anything stock(except maybe well, some Classics). Otherwise the most expensive yet best DAP option(considering portability too) got to be the Ipod/Iphone+LOD->HP-P1 but that will set you back almost 1k lol.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #209 of 240
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I currently have an iPod Touch and B&W P5 set up but was wondering how to get the best quality sound and thought about replacing my iPod.  My question is what things I can use to compare say an iPod Touch and a Cowon J5 or Colorfly C4?  My basic understanding is the quality of the DAC in each device but what kind of specs can I look out for or research to differentiate each portable music player?

So really I should see a marked improvement on lossless files from iPod Touch -> Cowon J5 -> Colorfly C4 in that order?

Sorry for the absolute noob question!

Thanks for reading.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #210 of 240
I think you mean the Cowon J3.  Assuming you do, please see my post above.  I have never owned or auditioned the Colorfly device, but there is a big difference in SQ (IMHO) between the J3 and the Touch.  That opinion does come with one caveat: with a flat EQ the J3 sounded lifeless and boring to me.  In that case, the Touch wins by a landslide. 

However, I am a fan of "musicality" and fun in music.  There is a lot of nonsense about not using EQ, as long as you can control the levels appropriately as to mitigate distortion.  The accepted rule of thumb is that you are being some type of purist that is trying to recreate the exact experience that the artists and recording engineers intended.  I call BS there.  You will never be able to do that unless you are listening to the exact same equipment that was used when that recording was created and mixed-down.  Not to mention that almost all recordings are mixed using speaker monitors, so the imaging will always be off when using headphones anyway. 

Rant over - The J3 EQ with BBE is just plain fun.  It's the most exciting and enjoyable experience I have ever had listening to music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back