What's the best sounding DAP on the market ????
Aug 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #16 of 240
well the best dap I ever had was the sony x series, best ive heard

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #17 of 240
Seems like everyone on here is rockboxing everything. I'm not sure rockboxing is for me though. From what I've read a rockboxed iPod is little more then an iPod that allows you to eq. If that's true then I'll just jailbreak my iPod and buy a proper eq app off of Cydia. Out of all the players you own which player sounds the absolute best and why?

To give an honest answer requires some focused listening. I'll get back to you in a couple of days if that's ok.

Oh and I don't think I'd bother to Rockbox an iPod.

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 240
As one said above, there can't be ONE choice reached by general consensus, simply because no-one has experienced ALL the players that have been made and preferences vary from one person to another like fingerprints. Yet, there can be a list of very good players made.

You have to spend a lot of money to reach a conclusion that is final. And that is for you and YOU only.

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #19 of 240

Quote:
To give an honest answer requires some focused listening. I'll get back to you in a couple of days if that's ok.

Oh and I don't think I'd bother to Rockbox an iPod.

Thanks man I appreciate your diligence.

Quote:
As one said above, there can't be ONE choice reached by general consensus, simply because no-one has experienced ALL the players that have been made and preferences vary from one person to another like fingerprints. Yet, there can be a list of very good players made.

You have to spend a lot of money to reach a conclusion that is final. And that is for you and YOU only.

Yeah you're right, sorry if I came across as overly demanding I don't know maybe I'm over thinking things. Even if there was a player out there that was the so called best sounding it's still just an MP3 player and considering the general small form factor a good DAP has to be how much better could it possibly sound? Traditionally I used to go only with Sony players (back in my CD carrying diskman days) but I can't help but think Sony has fallen behind in the MP3 market and that most of their players are nothing more then me to products.

Hows this sound as a short list?

Sanza Fuze+
Cowan
Sony
Fiio (if it ever gets released)
iPod touch next coming gen (I would only consider this if the touch gets 128 gigs of storage)

Anything else I should maybe look into researching?

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 240

Quote:
Hows this sound as a short list?

Sanza Fuze+
Cowan
Sony
Fiio (if it ever gets released)
iPod touch next coming gen (I would only consider this if the touch gets 128 gigs of storage)

Anything else I should maybe look into researching?

Haven't tried anything that's SanDisc (Sanza). The Cowons are INCREDIBLY good (not because they are cheaper than iPod's) but rather because of the great SQ they offer you. I'm using J3 lately and I'm blown away by it's SQ. (I only care for SQ in a player). iPod are not good in terms of SQ (my opinion and many many others who put SQ in the first place). Sony's latest ones are horrid compared to previous ones. They will release a few good ones soon. Can't vouch for Fiio, as I haven't tried them. My personal advice is to go for Cowon J3.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 240
The answer is going to be completely subjective. To some people, the best DAP would be one with the cleanest, flattest & most quiet output. In that case, I'd suggest the sansa fuze or clip to be the best. To others, the best DAP would be one with an excellent eq & 'sound enhancements. In that case, obviously a Cowon player would fit the bill. Something like the newer J3, S9, or C2 have less bass roll off than previous models like the D2. I used to be a Sansa guy, but I'm starting to come around to using BBE Viva on my Cowon C2. It really is the best sound enhancement I've heard.

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #23 of 240
Hmmm, here is my ranking of what I've owned in the past and currently own:

1. Cowon S9 with v useful sound enhancements(People say the J3 sounds the same)
2. Kenwood HD30GB9
3. Ipod 5G Roxboxed+LOD+amp(Rockbox greatly improves EQ customization, enhancing SQ)
4. Sony NWZ-A846
5. Iphone 3GS
6. Cowon X5/X5L
7. Ipod 5G stock

I'm going by memory on some of these since its been ages when I last heard them but I rank the S9 as the best I've heard from a portable DAP.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 240
There are many myths when it comes to players in Headfi. The Ipods (newer ones at least) are really good and actually have overall better performance than Sonys and Cowons. What makes the Cowons appealing for some is the sound enhancements but outside of that their performance isn't outstanding. Sonys actually have poor performance, their soundstage and dynamic range are generally compressed and they have some roll-offs and humps. 

To me the best sounding DAP will be one with lots of power, wide soundstage and great dynamic range. Generally newer Ipods (3GS/IP4/Classic7G/Touch3-4G) are more linear, have greater dynamic range and stereo imaging than Cowons and Sonys. 

I've tried the J3 and it's no better than my old 4G nano without enhancements, generally average. Sony X was poor in my experience, it's very colored and it's soundstage is compressed. I think people like the X because it's "different" in sound and not because of it's performance and accuracy (I will also say this remark about the Hifiman DAPs).. 

Iphone 4 is the best sounding Ipod I've tried and it's clearly ahead the J3 and X imo. But the best sounding DAP I've tried via it's headphone out has been the S:Flo2 in my experience. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #25 of 240
Can somebody share Inks's opinion?

I am listening to a Touch 3G, but i find it quite bad. I hope the Cowons are (alot) clearer and have bigger soundstage. 
Is there any way you can actually test a Cowon in a store?

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #26 of 240
Maybe I'm approaching this problem from the wrong angle. Anyone on this thread use a external amp/DAC combo with their DAP? I've pondered maybe mating my iPod touch with the TTVJ slim amp/DAC combo. Would there be a noticeable difference in sound then?

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #28 of 240
I can't. My Touch 3G sounds unbearable compared to my J3. The touch has weak, bright, tinny sound. And I don't even like the J3 that much.

I am myself at a loss with the OP's question. After running in circles for a while, I gave up and settled down with the J3. I don't think any DAP can sound as good as stand alone DAC/good sound card. If one shows up, I'll be first in line to get it :)

Quote:
Can somebody share Inks's opinion?

I am listening to a Touch 3G, but i find it quite bad. I hope the Cowons are (alot) clearer and have bigger soundstage. 
Is there any way you can actually test a Cowon in a store?

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #29 of 240
I'm not using IEM's I've yet to buy an IEM that fit me that didn't cause me pain. I do sometimes wonder if I should give IEM's one last try though and have considered taking a chance on say a Monster Pro Turbine. My cans can be found in my profile but for the sake of convenience I'll list them here.

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Adidas
Beyerdynamic DT 1350
Grado SR60i
iGrado
Sony XB 500
Sony XB 700

I use my DAP extensively both at home and on the go. The SR60i's rarely leave my home and I usually drive them from my laptop. My main go to mobile can's are the HD 25-1 II and my new DT 1350's. I've read the DT 1350's really respond well to amping and I've noticed a slight difference in sound when I drive them from my laptop. The XB cans are a guilty pleasure of mine and I use them for slamming my brain around to bass from trance and the odd hip hop song. I use them sometimes on the go but mostly at home.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #30 of 240

Quote:
There are many myths when it comes to players in Headfi. The Ipods (newer ones at least) are really good and actually have overall better performance than Sonys and Cowons. What makes the Cowons appealing for some is the sound enhancements but outside of that their performance isn't outstanding. Sonys actually have poor performance, their soundstage and dynamic range are generally compressed and they have some roll-offs and humps. 

To me the best sounding DAP will be one with lots of power, wide soundstage and great dynamic range. Generally newer Ipods (3GS/IP4/Classic7G/Touch3-4G) are more linear, have greater dynamic range and stereo imaging than Cowons and Sonys. 

I've tried the J3 and it's no better than my old 4G nano without enhancements, generally average. Sony X was poor in my experience, it's very colored and it's soundstage is compressed. I think people like the X because it's "different" in sound and not because of it's performance and accuracy (I will also say this remark about the Hifiman DAPs).. 

Iphone 4 is the best sounding Ipod I've tried and it's clearly ahead the J3 and X imo. But the best sounding DAP I've tried via it's headphone out has been the S:Flo2 in my experience. 

You work for Apple? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back