What's the best amp for HD800
May 4, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #91 of 680
  Which of these amps would you think best for someone on somewhat of a budget.
 1; DNA Sonett 2
 2. Bryston BHA-1
 3. One of the Bottlehead amps. either SEX or Mainline.
 or ??? Limit $1500

WA2 with GEC 6AS7g is supposed to be phenomenal but it might be over your budget. 

May 4, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #92 of 680
  Which of these amps would you think best for someone on somewhat of a budget.
 1; DNA Sonett 2
 2. Bryston BHA-1
 3. One of the Bottlehead amps. either SEX or Mainline.
 or ??? Limit $1500

Those are all VERY GOOD amps and which you think is best is entirely down to taste and preference I would say.

Tube amps a generally a little bit better at soundstage and musicality while solid state amps are a little better and slam and power in the music. But those are very general terms and not always true either. My balanced DNA Sonett 1 is a think of beauty though I have to say, very nice sounding, well built and beautiful looking.

May 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #94 of 680
I really like the WA7 with the HD800s. I'm waiting on the new PSU for it which brings the price to just under your budget. Reports so far are that it makes it quite a kick-ass amp, even more so than it is already.

May 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #96 of 680
  I really like the WA7 with the HD800s. I'm waiting on the new PSU for it which brings the price to just under your budget. Reports so far are that it makes it quite a kick-ass amp, even more so than it is already.

Sorry not real familiar with Woo stuff, is the 7 the one with the built in dac also? I was thinking about that one as well. I have a dac but I have long wanted to try some type of sabre dac to see what it is like. Might could kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

May 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #97 of 680
  I'd go with the DNA Sonett 1 as well. I've had mine over four years with no desire to upgrade. I've listened to the bryston in a couple different set ups and wasn't impressed at all, it sounded flat and unmusical.

I may be thinking of the wrong model but wasn't the HD800 used in designing the Sonett or was that the higher end model..Sonus or something like that.

May 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #98 of 680
I'd go BHA-1 out of those choices, but if you can extend to $1700, the new Schiit Ragnarok (shipping this month) is expected to be excellent with HD800s. Wait and see what people think of that before buying, IMO. Another one to keep an eye out for is the ECP Audio Black Diamond ($1600) that is also shipping this month. Reviews and impressions of it's prototype say it's a great match for the HD800s. I will have the GS-X2, Ragnarok, and Black Diamond side by side for a review soon.

May 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #100 of 680
I'd go BHA-1 out of those choices, but if you can extend to $1700, the new Schiit Ragnarok (shipping this month) is expected to be excellent with HD800s. Wait and see what people think of that before buying, IMO. Another one to keep an eye out for is the ECP Audio Black Diamond ($1600) that is also shipping this month. Reviews and impressions of it's prototype say it's a great match for the HD800s. I will have the GS-X2, Ragnarok, and Black Diamond side by side for a review soon.

Very interested in that review, keep me posted please. 

May 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #103 of 680
Yes -  the Sonett I have adds a very nice wide soundstage and relaxed presentation to my HD800's without being tubey. The Sonett has been described many times as "the best of solid state and tubes" and I think that's a very accurate description.

It adds soundstage and a sort of "musical ease" to the music, but on the other hand drums hit with all the vigor and force they would on a solid state amp. This is definitely a tube amp that can rock out if you want it to!

Perhaps the absolute last bit of bottom end slam in the lowest of low octaves isn't there the same way they can be on a solid state amp, but honestly I don't miss it.

May 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #105 of 680
After 8 years, I finally added to my profile. So I'm not off topic, my profile includes the best amp I've heard with the HD800.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back