What's the best amp for HD800
Feb 21, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #241 of 680
  I'm not sure why the need to call out the GS-X MKII and Dynahi as being overpriced.  First, the GS-X MKII is certainly a higher price amp that also work great with wider range of headphones from IEMs to higher to drive phones like Orthos.  It isn't too bad of a value if you think of it, plus it also sounds superb as a preamp.  The build quality is also second to none and it is very sought after in the used market which contribute to a good resale value.  I also think it does one hell of a job driving the HD800.  My point is there are higher price amps that perform even worst compared to the GS-X MKII but you didn't call them out.

Secondly, I do realize that KG did borrow some circuit layout from Nelson Pass, but the Dynahi circuitry is entirely done by KG and has been available to the DIY community even before the year 2000.  My Dynahi with the gain dial down (20 to 8) is even better sounding than the GS-X MKII at driving the HD800.  It also able drive lower impedance phones such as the CD3000 better than every thing else that I've tried. If you are good with DIY, the Dynahi can be build for less than 1.2k.  Given that I paid for mine even less than I find it to be a great value.

We certainly can agree that Nelson's "kitchen table" is a superb choice for driving the HD800 but likely not suitable for easier to drive phones.  Still one still need a pre-amp or DAC with attenuator build in to control in front of it to control the volume.    

Hold on a sec..  I'm not calling any amp out in a bad way.  The fact of the matter is, that compared to a First Watt amp the GS-X mkII is over priced and I would go that route any day of the week.  I owned the GS-X mkII and loved it, but when the F1J came in I realized how much of a value it was compared to the GS-X mkII.  You're correct in that it holds it's value in the used market - I sold mine for what I paid and saved a few $$$ in the purchase of the the F1J as it turned out.

The "Super Symmetry" was or is a Nelson Pas patent - That's what we was talking about right - "Super Symmetry"?  Yes the D-hi came out before 2000.  However, KG started to use the Nelson Pass patent "Super Symmetry" a few years ago.  Look it up. 

It's obvious you have a love for Gilmore / Birger amps.  That's all well and good.  However, there are better value and better performers out there.  Same goes for the Nelson Pass amps.  

Both KG / Birger and Nelson Pass has contributed lots to the DIY community - that goes without saying..  

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #242 of 680

Hold on a sec..  I'm not calling any amp out in a bad way.  The fact of the matter is, that compared to a First Watt amp the GS-X mkII is over priced and I would go that route any day of the week.  I owned the GS-X mkII and loved it, but when the F1J came in I realized how much of a value it was compared to the GS-X mkII.  You're correct in that it holds it's value in the used market - I sold mine for what I paid and saved a few $$$ in the purchase of the the F1J as it turned out.

The "Super Symmetry" was or is a Nelson Pas patent - That's what we was talking about right - "Super Symmetry"?  Yes the D-hi came out before 2000.  However, KG started to use the Nelson Pass patent "Super Symmetry" a few years ago.  Look it up. 

It's obvious you have a love for Gilmore / Birger amps.  That's all well and good.  However, there are better value and better performers out there.  Same goes for the Nelson Pass amps.  

Both KG / Birger and Nelson Pass has contributed lots to the DIY community - that goes without saying..  

He did.  Didn't you see my comment earlier?  He modified his dynahi circuitry using the "Super Symmetry" method but he did come up with Dynahi design way back then.  And yes he did give credit to Nelson Pass and both of us also know this.  The fact that you call out the Dynahi as being "overpriced"  prompt me to respond to your post.  How can you call out an amp as being a poor value when it isn't a commercial available but a DIY amp in the first place?

We can agree to disagree about the GS-X MKII value.  In my case, I don't think the GS-X MKII is overpriced because it can drive most headphones very well across the board including the HD800 and that is very tough do against several amps that I've tried.           

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #243 of 680
Whatever.  

In my case the First Watt amps perform better and cost less than the GS-X mkII and this is with the HD800s..  Lets not talk about planars..  

It doesn't matter if the D-hi is DIY or not.  If one wants one and does not do DIY that person still has to purchase / commission it.  Yes, it's way less than the GS-X mkII.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #244 of 680
  Whatever.  

In my case the First Watt amps perform better and cost less than the GS-X mkII and this is with the HD800s..  Lets not talk about planars..  

It doesn't matter if the D-hi is DIY or not.  If one wants one and does not do DIY that person still has to purchase / commission it.  Yes, it's way less than the GS-X mkII.

So what's the used price for the First Watt amps suitable for driving the HD800?  That's one of the reason why I mentioned the Dynahi b/c I found it to out perform the GS-X MKII for the HD800 as well.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #246 of 680
Any opinions on the Questyle CMA800R ? (This is the same price as the Sennheiser HDVA 600 but has a few more write ups then the
Senn (which appears to have much better distribution)

Since 'modding' my HD800 I no longer have any interest in other phones so any amp that was specifically designed around using it
w/ these Hps is of greater interest to me

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #247 of 680
  So what's the used price for the First Watt amps suitable for driving the HD800?  That's one of the reason why I mentioned the Dynahi b/c I found it to out perform the GS-X MKII for the HD800 as well.

The M2 is 1.5k (demo w. 3 year warranty) at Reno hifi. Doesn't get any better than that
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #250 of 680
  How about the Cafe Montmartre recording ... have you listened to it again over the weekend ?

Cafe Montmartre = Stan Getz, yup got that one to.  I will listen to it tonight..

Tell me more about the M2 / HD800 combo, now that you've had it up and running for a few day what do you really think?

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #251 of 680
I can not imagine how it can possibly get any better. So there is still some hope that having everything balanced (which the M2 is not) from the source to the HD800 will still push it even further but right now the HD800 hooked up to the speaker terminals of the First Watt is just sublime to my ears. This has a "just sit back, relax and enjoy the music" factor.
No "in head localization" what so ever, phantastic sound stage, all the details you could wish for and no sibilance at all. Terrific
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #252 of 680
Cool man.  Don't worry about all that mumbo jumbo about balanced being better in SQ..  In my experence it's not no so.  It's all in how the amp is desinged.  Most of the Pass amps are SE and sound wonderful.    

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #253 of 680
  Cool man.  Don't worry about all that mumbo jumbo about balanced being better in SQ..  In my experence it's not no so.  It's all in how the amp is desinged.  Most of the Pass amps are SE and sound wonderful.    

I rarely agree with Prep (KIDDING!!) but I do agree with him in this case.  

Just sit back and enjoy the music 
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #254 of 680
  Any opinions on the Questyle CMA800R ? (This is the same price as the Sennheiser HDVA 600 but has a few more write ups then the

Since 'modding' my HD800 I no longer have any interest in other phones so any amp that was specifically designed around using it

I briefly auditioned this at the meet. The Questyle is a warmer sounding amp with good bass impact that work well with the HD800.  However it isn't transparent compared to some others that I've tried with the HD800.  For the price, I'll take the old Headroom BUDA with DPS power supply if you can find one for around $1000.  Tyll & Headroom gang did a great job on their stuffs way back in the day.  The retailed price on them was certainly too expensive when new but the current going price in the used market is a good deal.

It is certainly depending on the topology.  I've tried SE amp that sound better than balanced ones before.  However, I will always take a balance amp of the same topology if I have the choice between a balance and single-end version.  Even the Sony PHA-3 sounds better than the single-end counter part.  The same goes for all of the Headroom, RSA, and Headamp stuffs.  

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #255 of 680

I briefly auditioned this at the meet. The Questyle is a warmer sounding amp with good bass impact that work well with the HD800.  However it isn't transparent compared to some others that I've tried with the HD800.  For the price, I'll take the old Headroom BUDA with DPS power supply if you can find one for around $1000.  Tyll & Headroom gang did a great job on their stuffs way back in the day.  The retailed price on them was certainly too expensive when new but the current going price in the used market is a good deal.

It is certainly depending on the topology.  I've tried SE amp that sound better than balanced ones before.  However, I will always take a balance amp of the same topology if I have the choice between a balance and single-end version.  Even the Sony PHA-3 sounds better than the single-end counter part.  The same goes for all of the Headroom, RSA, and Headamp stuffs.  

Thanks for your input ! The Questyle sounds fine as between my HD800,Hex DAC & Equitech line conditioner "transparency"
has been a complete "non-issue" for me with "any" amp I've used for quite some time.

The Hex has a different view of what transparency is...that I totally agree with.!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back