What's the best amp for HD800
Mar 10, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #271 of 680
I suppose I'm not as interested for the fact that some have said it is not really as good an amp if used in a SE mode. I really
don't "need" to run my HD 800 in Balanced mode , I have no interest in headphones that "are" actually power hungry ( or any other headphones for that matter ) & it is $3 or $400 more than the one amp that wasn't designed specifically around meeting whatever needs the HD 800 wants to see !

I not a big "fan" of the company that makes the Ragnarok (It may very well be the 1st "real" product this company has produced but,for myself it's "Too little, too late". They have been around how long before they released a product of this level ??? )

I'm sure I could probably think of more reasons, so I'll stop myself  here !

Thanks for asking, though !

I'll be interested to what amp that you will end up with. I have soloist for more than a year, and I do have a hard time choosing an amp to replace it. I have local audio shop which I can audition and a/b with soloist to other amp from various brand. A few give me a nice impression which include a luxman and liquid glass. I hope you find what you looking for from an amp.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #272 of 680
  RE: Questyle CMA800R.  I've been using one of these for approximately a year and generally have been pleased with how it sounds with the HD800 (in the SE mode).  However in the interim, I decided to order a GS-X MkII last June which is now almost ready for shipping.   The CMA800R has been touted in many of the reviews as a "transparent" amp, however having lived with it for quite awhile, I agree with purk's comment above that the amp is on the warm side of neutral and really not that transparent, which is not what I'm looking for.   I'm fairly confident that the GS-X MkII will likely have a sound character more to my taste.   Nevertheless the CMA800R is good enough for me that I'll probably keep it for another HP setup.  The bottom line is that although the CMA800R is a pretty good amp, I feel that there are other single-ended amps at or below its price range that would probably sound even better.  If you are interested in going balanced (and I tend to agree with those who think the HD800 sounds best in this mode), you would need to purchase two CMA800Rs which together would roughly equal the price of one GS-X MkII or Auralic Taurus MkII, both of which have built-in balanced outputs.   

A recent very creditable , review by DubstepGirl of the Apex Teton appears on the 'Headphone.Guru' site.She compares the Teton to the GSX. Agreed, the GSX is (top spec) 3/5ths the cost of the Teton.(Agreed also, that DSG recommends upgrading the tubes on the Teton) However, at the top end , is cost the main consideration? Her main Headphone used for the review was the HD800.
I have previously posted, IMO , the HD800, requires a tube Amp.
The issue regarding balanced vs SE has been well argued elsewhere.(including the Teton thread).
DSG makes reference to the creditable attributes of both the Teton and the GSX.(with the HD800 ). In favour of the Teton,she states, "more lifelike" and "more musical" - for me this has to mean the Teton has it in this dual(not withstanding cost)??

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #273 of 680
  A recent very creditable , review by DubstepGirl of the Apex Teton appears on the 'Headphone.Guru' site.She compares the Teton to the GSX. Agreed, the GSX is (top spec) 3/5ths the cost of the Teton.(Agreed also, that DSG recommends upgrading the tubes on the Teton) However, at the top end , is cost the main consideration? Her main Headphone used for the review was the HD800.
I have previously posted, IMO , the HD800, requires a tube Amp.
The issue regarding balanced vs SE has been well argued elsewhere.(including the Teton thread).
DSG makes reference to the creditable attributes of both the Teton and the GSX.(with the HD800 ). In favour of the Teton,she states, "more lifelike" and "more musical" - for me this has to mean the Teton has it in this dual(not withstanding cost)??

Even though I love the GS-X MKII a great great deal.  I have to agree with DubstepGirl that the GS-X MIKII's soundstage is a little missing in the depth department compared to several amps that I have auditioned in similar price range.  For example, my Super Symmetry Balanced Dynahi is nicer in the depth department.  Even my old Gilmore Reference Balanced also have wider & deeper soundstage.  Same can be said with the ECP L2 & DSHA-1.  Beside that I don't really have much to complain about the GS-X MKII though its very neutral & transparent approach to the sound may not be too friendly with bad recording materials.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #274 of 680
The HD800 sounds really really good with the Woo Audio WA7 + WA7TP. It has a lot of synergy and the overall presentation is very musical to my ears.

dL

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #276 of 680
  I use my hd800 with the vioelectric v200. Put the amp on full gain and they sound Amazing.

The Vioelectric look really interesting to me for the fact the pre-gain adjustment switches are something that "all"
headphone amps should have.

If you listen to Orchestral music if you raise the volume beyond a certain point you'll only end up killing any great micro detail
that your playback sources have created to that point if the volume adjustment increases to "steeply".

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #277 of 680
The Vioelectric look really interesting to me for the fact the pre-gain adjustment switches are something that "all"

If you listen to Orchestral music if you raise the volume beyond a certain point you'll only end up killing any great micro detail
that your playback sources have created to that point if the volume adjustment increases to "steeply".

I don't have a Vioelecrtic but I have a question about its pre gain. Is it essentially like an out put gain from a DAC like -10db or +4db as on audio interface before it hits your headphone amp?

Can you describe the changes you hear with different levels of pre gain. Thanks!

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #278 of 680
I use my hd800 with the vioelectric v200. Put the amp on full gain and they sound Amazing.

The V200 is an excellent amp for the HD800. When I had it, I paired it with the V800 DAC. I preferred the sound over an OTL Tube amp (Bottlehead crack) which is saying a lot, since I think the HD800 pairs well with that.

There is a great sense of smoothness with the V200. The only downfall is that the soundstage is not as wide as other amps, and there is less depth and layering.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #279 of 680

I don't have a Vioelecrtic but I have a question about its pre gain. Is it essentially like an out put gain from a DAC like -10db or +4db as on audio interface before it hits your headphone amp?

Can you describe the changes you hear with different levels of pre gain. Thanks!

I don't actually have a Violectric. I was just saying why it appears to be a great feature

Having options of pre-gains allows you to greater flexibility in making sure you have enough or it will "trim" how much gain you are
applying when you move the volume contol up .

In other word say if you don't use the switch at all  every increment of the vol control  is 1db. now you set the switch to a - setting so that each step is only .7db rather than a full db for each notch on the vol control.

If you set the switch to a +setting each notch may be adding 1.3db each notch will now be .3 higher than flat where on the - setting
you were'nt adding a full db of vol. The amounts I used were just for explantion purposes as I don't know what the actual value of
- or + switches add or subtract to the volume control movement.

At least that how it appears to work to me. It will depend on what the output of your DAC or player is sending to the headphone amp
whether you want use a + or - setting or not use the switch at all. Having a 2V signal from my DAC & the fact I normally find most
headphone amps I've used get too loud too fast I would try using a minus setting first

I'd be thrilled to have three or four nothches of volume to use rather than just one (that might be a little too loud) (my Burson Soloist
 drove me up a wall with this even on the lowest gain setting ;but this appears to be set up differently)

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #280 of 680
Interesting control lay out for sure.

Has anybody noticed a change in sound presentation with different output settings from their DAC? I'm hearing a lower mid boost going to +4db from -11db on my apollo twin into my BCL.

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #281 of 680
The V200 is an excellent amp for the HD800. When I had it, I paired it with the V800 DAC. I preferred the sound over an OTL Tube amp (Bottlehead crack) which is saying a lot, since I think the HD800 pairs well with that.

There is a great sense of smoothness with the V200. The only downfall is that the soundstage is not as wide as other amps, and there is less depth and layering.

What amp would you recommend to get better soundstage out of the HD800?

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #282 of 680

This depends on your price range and whether you are going SS or tube.

Though I haven't heard it myself, the V281 seems like an upgrade from the V200 if one wants to go balanced and a more expansive soundstage. The audio-Gd M9 also has some great reviews for its smoothness and soundstage reproduction.

For tubes, anything in the Eddie current line up (including the now discontinued S7) do soundstage alone like no other amps I've heard before.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #283 of 680

Not to "Throw a wrench" in the works, your best bet for improving soundstage performance is to get a better ' DAC'

I really don't think headphone amp / DAC combinations are the best idea to begin with. Separates will cost a bit more, but unfortunately the old saying of "You get what you pay for" does apply here

You will get "respectable" performance from combos, but  you're looking to improve upon sound characteristics that are being produced by a DAC  not amplification (Amps alone 'can' change the sound , but they're dong it by adding a "Coloration" on top of the music, but that seems to work for a lot of people I guess !)

The saying that always "cracks me up" (thanks for the entertainment,guys) is "The HD800 'needs' tubes" (He,he,he, he...... there I go again; You guys are entertaining !)

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #284 of 680

In my case the First Watt amps perform better and cost less than the GS-X mkII and this is with the HD800s..  Lets not talk about planars..  

Hey prepro - looks like I may be picking up a rawson F3 clone (with the primary goal of trying it with some high efficiency speakers), but I'm curious how you rigged your F1j -> hd800 setup.  It would be fun to compare with the mainline.

Did you use a resister network adapter of some sort or just run the cable straight in, via an XLR to banana adapter?  I assume a passive pre/attenuator box would be the way to go on the input side?  Maybe a good excuse to rig up a couple of glassware selector and attenuator boards in a simple chassis - e.g. http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/a5stat.html 

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #285 of 680
Yup I didn't use any resisters. Just a cable with spaeds / bananas. I used three different pre amp. The pre on the AMR, the pre on the PWD mk2 and a AMB a20 pre. I haven't used a passive pre yet. Thats because the F1J use very little gain and my main purpose for it was the HE-6 so i needed an active pre.

I just so happened to try the HD800 to see how it would sound. I was surprised to say the least.

Congrats on the F3. Im looking at a couple other First Watt amps to try as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back