What's so good about metal?
Jan 19, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #91 of 143
Not all death metal is about gore, lots of the lyrics from Death, Edge of Sanity, Psycroptic etc are really deep and meaningful. Cannibal Corpse is crude and weak death metal, so you should just stay away from them.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #92 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cannibal20Corpse_2_Cov.jpg

Sorry fellas, but assuming this is representive of the genre, you've just lost me. This would have to be the most tasteless and puerile album cover i have ever seen.

Cannibal Corpse is just an example about one type of deathmetal band where all attention is focused on senseless violence and gore. This is not the representative of whole genre, not by long shot. They ride on shock value.

In the words of CC band members "If someone, who has not heard about Cannibal Corpse, sees our cover and is not shocked, then we didnt make a very good cover." So there, obviously it worked on you.
smily_headphones1.gif

CC's music is IMHO decent, they do have an ear for catchy and working riffs, just do not try to find any deeper meaning. (other than interesting insights on the mind of some completely screwed up sickos what their lyrics tell about)

As scytheavatar, bands like Death and Morbid Angel have more meaning in their lyrics.

Quote:

@MaZa: As far as a melodramatic and spiritual side, most of the bands I mentioned mostly exist for the sake of having fun. I wouldn't listen to Gojira to gain a deeper insight on life or anything like that.

Its not THAT deep to me either, though very good blackmetal (and some doom too) do have sort of inwards turning effect. Self-analyzing "trance". Death and Thrash metal has more entertaiment value.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #93 of 143
I think CC is not the finest example of death metal as well, really not my cup of tea,i'm not into "senseless gore" but i doubt they intend to be taken seriously, however they are appreciated by thousands of angry teenagers ( you'll be surprised, but many emo kids like them ) who enjoy CC alongside Korn, A7x and so on, they're just another commercial phenomenon which sells either to people who understand their humour or to the Mtv public...just see how many people outside the metal world ( not refering to who posted the image ) usually identify the whole genre with bands like cannibal...they are like...the Manowar of death metal, just a joke, some funny lyrics over average music
biggrin.gif

That's some good death

YouTube - Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment

Thrashy riffs, well controlled and intelligible growls, it does not sound like someone vomiting at least...still as straightforward and direct as CC, i haven't intentionally posted something by Opeth or Atheist, late Death etc...but still IMO on a completely different level than cannibal...

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #94 of 143
Quote:

That's some good death

Hell yeah! (though covenant era Morbid Angel works better for me, that is awesome song) By the way, why the hell some of the youtube videos are so crappy quality though, and worse of all in MONO? It makes intense music like this almost indecipherable.

Manowar of deathmetal, that description fits CC perfectly! Why I havent heard that one before.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #95 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hell yeah! (though covenant era Morbid Angel works better for me, that is awesome song) By the way, why the hell some of the youtube videos are so crappy quality though, and worse of all in MONO? It makes intense music like this almost indecipherable.

Manowar of deathmetal, that description fits CC perfectly! Why I havent heard that one before.

Apparently, if you add this string &fmt=18 to the youtube url, and if the video was uploaded in stereo, you will get 44khz stereo playback..it works sometimes

Manowar are awesome, man...who could take full grown men dressed like this screaming "Heavy metal or no metal at all whimps and posers leave the hall" at 130db seriously ? Damn funny stuff...

manowar-1-1.jpg

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #96 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think anyone can be explained the power of metal. You either get it or don't.

I've noticed that if you've had a relatively happy childhood, then metal is not for you. If you've deal with some ****, either at home or in school, then it just speaks to you on a very emotional level.

I'm sure there's probably a 1 in a million type thing, but I've never met a person that had loving parents that are still together, who had everything growing up, was popular in school, was pleasing to the eye (very related to popularity), and was into metal. Their life is just too cheerfull for what metal is. Metal is to music as horror is to movies. I find people who dig horror flicks also dig metal.

I'm afraid I disagree. Firstly, I reject the "you get it or you don't" rule, which people often assert about metal. It took me many months to get into metal, and it was not for lack of trying. I knew there was something in there that I liked, but I didn't grok it for a long time. Music appreciation is something that a lot of us here (obviously) take seriously, and sometimes one has to work on it, regardless of the genre.

And I don't think it's at all restricted to people who had difficult childhoods. Everyone goes through some tough times during adolescence, and I expect that mine was no worse than average. People appreciate different aspects of any art, and art affects everyone differently. When I listen to metal, I appreciate the complex (compared to rock etc.) song composition and arrangement on one level, the technical wizardry on another level, and the drama/melodrama on still another level.

When I listen to a band that sounds very angry or destructive, my appreciation of them comes from my understanding (which may be different from others') that they are playing the role of villains in an epic play or story. If people in my life question why such a generally happy person as myself likes to listen to such brutal music, I usually respond by asking them if they think they would enjoy the story of Robin Hood if there were no Sherriff of Nottingham. It's all about the drama for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #97 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently, if you add this string &fmt=18 to the youtube url, and if the video was uploaded in stereo, you will get 44khz stereo playback..it works sometimes

Going off topic here...

Make a bookmark in your bookmarks toolbar and replace the address with the code below. When your watching a YouTube! video, click the bookmark and it will reload it the higher quality version. This is a called a Bookmarklet.

javascript:window.location.href%20=%20'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id='%20+%20swfArgs['video_id']%20+%20"&fmt=18"%20+%20"&l="%20+%20swfArgs['l']%20+%20"&sk="%20+%20swfArgs['sk']%20+%20'&t='%20+%20swfArgs['t'];

Use this code instead to save the YouTube! video in the higher definition format (if available)

javascript:window.location+="&fmt=18";

This will work on a Mac in either Firefox or Safari. Windows side? I don't know.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #99 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think CC is not the finest example of death metal as well, really not my cup of tea,i'm not into "senseless gore" but i doubt they intend to be taken seriously, however they are appreciated by thousands of angry teenagers ( you'll be surprised, but many emo kids like them ) who enjoy CC alongside Korn, A7x and so on, they're just another commercial phenomenon which sells either to people who understand their humour or to the Mtv public...just see how many people outside the metal world ( not refering to who posted the image ) usually identify the whole genre with bands like cannibal...they are like...the Manowar of death metal, just a joke, some funny lyrics over average music
biggrin.gif

That's some good death

Thrashy riffs, well controlled and intelligible growls, it does not sound like someone vomiting at least...still as straightforward and direct as CC, i haven't intentionally posted something by Opeth or Atheist, late Death etc...but still IMO on a completely different level than cannibal...

Well, I thought i might as well give Metal 110th try with an open mind. Really. And surprise, that song sounded exactly like the other hundred I've heard. You guys must be the equivalent of wine connoisseurs (red, no doubt) who think they taste a dozen different flavors in a glass of red wine, when to the rest of us most metal tastes like the same cheap sangria. What is it about the total lack of originality in metal that so attracts you? Metal to me is the angry white boys equivalent of rap -- all "meaningful" lyric against the same, repetitive musical backdrop. And be careful not to deviate to far from the cutout. I dunno, admittedly I'm not much of a lyric guy. I listen to music for, well, music. If "death metal" means songs about death set to the same chords and progressions as "cannibal metal" "suicide metal" "black metal" "white metal" then I think you're better off trading your headphones for a copy of Sylvia Plath or The Necronomicon. Just skip the "music" part. From what i hear, it's exterraneous to metal. Man, if any of you make it past the age of 30 with your cds, be prepared to have a yardsale and lose some money. I grew up listening to punk for years, and all the bands (who made it) shared one thing in common: No one else sounded quite like them. It was called originality. I can't understand trying to create music or art from the perspective of sounding like everyone else. What's the point? It's like the f$%king Satanic version of "Paint by Numbers". Unless, of course, you're completely untalented and unoriginal and you have to copy someone else. Then at least you have an excuse.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #100 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I thought i might as well give Metal 110th try with an open mind. Really. And surprise, that song sounded exactly like the other hundred I've heard. You guys must be the equivalent of wine connoisseurs (red, no doubt) who think they taste a dozen different flavors in a glass of red wine, when to the rest of us most metal tastes like the same cheap sangria. What is it about the total lack of originality in metal that so attracts you? Metal to me is the angry white boys equivalent of rap -- all "meaningful" lyric against the same, repetitive musical backdrop. And be careful not to deviate to far from the cutout. I dunno, admittedly I'm not much of a lyric guy. I listen to music for, well, music. If "death metal" means songs about death set to the same chords and progressionS as "cannibal metal" "suicide metal" "black metal" "white metal" then I think you're better off trading your headphones for a copy of Sylvia Plath or The Necronomicon. Just skip the "music" part. From what i hear, it's exterraneous to metal. Man, if any of you make it past the age of 30 with your cds, be prepared to have a yardsale and lose some money. I grew up listening to punk for years, and all the bands (who made it) shared one thing in common: No one else sounded quite like them. It was called originality. I can't understand trying to create music or art from the perspective of sounding like everyone else. What's the point? It's like f$%king Satanic version of "Paint by Numbers". Unless, of course, you're completely untalented and unoriginal and you have to copy someone else. Then at least you have an excuse.

You are right in one thing, metal is generally angry. Metal is often driven by strong emotion, and are there any stronger than hate and anger? But thats different from angsty, leave emo stuff away.

Did you check the links I posted in the first page of this thread? Does it really all sound same to you? Of course that morbid angel would sound similar to Cannibal corpse mentioned here, they are both death metal afterall, loud and fast. But for us who listen metal they are so different and we arent even talking about "wide-connoiseur" differences. Riffs are completely different too. Lots of very old guys are into metal too, age has nothing to do with it.

In contrast to deathmetal, here is some blackmetal.

Burzum - Dunkelheit
YouTube - Burzum - Dunkelheit

Satyricon - Mother North
YouTube - Satyricon - Mother North

Leave lyrics aside for now, does this sound musically even remotely similar to links you just heard about deathmetal? If it does, then (as rarely as I use this) you really are deaf or are not seriosly listening.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #102 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh nuts. People arguing able Metal branches. METAL IS METAL DAMMIT.

We are not arquing about branches, we are arguing if they all sound same, which obviously they do not.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #103 of 143
What was acidbasement just saying about poeple either "getting it or not"? LOL!
I am over 40 and I still enjoy metal. I seem to got through cylces during the year. At certain times metal type music is primarily all or most of what I listen to. Then other times I just don't even want to hear it and I listen to way differnt music like Alison Krauss or Neil Young or even Jazz like Miles Davis, John Coltrane or Herbie Hancock. I even enjoy classical piano and orchestral music. I guess there are probably some types of music I just cannot tolerate or even enjoy at all but I haven't found them yet, well except maybe this:
Free John Cage Music Online, Music Downloads, Music Videos and Lyrics - Rhapsody Online

check out "Music of Changes I" and "Empty Words"...??? art? maybe but music? Naahhh....lol

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #104 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was acidbasement just saying about poeple either "getting it or not"? LOL!

You are correct. But this infuriates me too. Whenever I see posts like chadbangs it makes me see red, but it confuses me too. Why someone is unable hear all those great riffs and layered tremolo melodies and whatever, but hear nothing but angry noise? When I first heard metal I immidietly "got it", why?

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #105 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why someone is unable hear all those great riffs and layered tremolo melodies and whatever, but hear nothing but angry noise? When I first heard metal I immidietly "got it", why?

If you think about it, it's just a coincidence. Your brain + your surroundings and their effect on the first one = ability to hear certain type of music "differently" than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back