What's so good about metal?
Jan 20, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #121 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking Heads, The Clash, Nick Cave and Bad Seeds, Patti Smith, Fugazi, The Smiths, The Dead Kennedys, The Pixies, The Minutemen, The Stranglers, Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers, The Misfits, Devo, Violent Femmes, The Stooges, The Dead Boys, The Voidoids, The Sex Pistols, X, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Sonic Youth, Nirvana....

It's amazing what these guys did with 3 to four chords, not to mention how their innovation went on to inspire experimentation that lead to New Wave, synthpop, grunge, electronica, hardcore....

I agree, that is a great, though rather nostalgic list.

Quote:

Whereas metal seems content to fester in the corner doing the same crap over and over. If it wants to remain a sub-genre forever, so be it.

I didn't drop in to thread crap, this wasn't a "Praise Metal!" thread according to what the title proposed (I leave those alone) and there's been some discussion here about the merits and non-merits of metal, so I felt free to express my real feelings about metal. Now look, DarkAngel, the prince of darkness at headfi, has been my good friend for years here and I've tried to follow his lead many times and failed completely with this genre. He's a mature headfier with good taste and I know he'd defend my right to my opinion. And that's what it is, my opinion. Take it as you would. Blow it off if you want. I don't really give a #$%. That's my PUNK attitude. So if you enjoy metal, all the more power to you. This thread asked, whats' so good about metal? And my simplified response is: not much

True, you are entitled to your opinion. However, the reasons you give for having said opinion are blatantly false and I daresay the result of noncritical listening. As in any genre, there are some (maybe even the majority - there are certainly a lot of metal bands that I will grant you suck immeasurably) who are unoriginal no-talents. However, those who rise to the top in metal surpass the cream of any other genre aside from classical and perhaps jazz, whom they match in talent and originality.

Punk music was great in its time, and so was grunge, but they are getting old and tired. I have not heard much inspired music from either genre lately. Conversely, metal artists continue to push back musical barriers and incorporate diverse influences in combinations never heard before. The result is glory maximized.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #122 of 143
Quote:

(I suggest someone who listens to mainly metal to do the same - explore other genres.)

Umm... Hmmm. I get quite the opposite impression from metalheads here. Most people in this forum tend to diversify, mixing metal with classic rock, jazz, electronic(the only genre I can think of that's more diverse than "rock") etc. Just yesterday I listened to Tool, Pink Floyd, Infected Mushroom (psy Trance), The Knife (electropop/clash?) and other such bands.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #123 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sigh...I give up

LOL! Wow that was a quick poop-out....j/k

"Umm... Hmmm. I get quite the opposite impression from metalheads here. Most people in this forum tend to diversify, mixing metal with classic rock, jazz, electronic(the only genre I can think of that's more diverse than "rock") etc. Just yesterday I listened to Tool, Pink Floyd, Infected Mushroom (psy Trance), The Knife (electropop/clash?) and other such bands."

Word. Speak on brother moogoob. I was hard on old Pink Floyd yesterday myself. Today however I just got the latest Psycroptic, Ensiferum and Kreator. Killer stuff ...IMO...ehehee

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #125 of 143
Quote:

LOL! Wow that was a quick poop-out....j/k

yeah well, chads reply was completely ignorant and self promoting, and he just continued to say all metal sounds the same, no point spending any time arguing with such people, I'd rather go and enjoy some music instead.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #126 of 143
Last weekend I listened quite a bit of Bach organ pieces... Today I listened some Plastic Angel trance music. It has been a while since I listened orchestrated classical but that is music I listen often too.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #127 of 143
If someone thinks Black Sabbath, Toxik, Suffocation, and Hibria ALL SOUND ALIKE, they have something wrong with them. Hell, going from Suffocation to a band like Possessed is still a noticeable difference.

Also I really hate the "Metalheads only listen to metal" thing. While some do, that clearly isn't representative of the whole of the genres fans. Just look here:

ZackP1992’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #128 of 143
This is ridiculous. Chadbang made an incredibly bigoted and uninformed post (I don't care how he tries to defend it) but there's no need to start attacking his tastes. Most of the bands he listed can only be classified as "punk" in the broadest sense of the word anyways. And that's not to insult punk, as some users have taken it upon themselves to do. Punk, and any other genre, has just as many distinctions as metal.

For example, I myself prefer to listen to a lot of hardcore punk (Have Heart, Hot Cross, as well as older stuff like Bad Brains) but there's also the multitude of offshoots such as crust punk, metalcore, art punk etc. Generalizing punk as "2-4 power chords" is, in essence, exactly what chadbang did, and you are hardly better than him for saying it (though, this is a metal thread and you are only defending the genre you love)

I'm not trying to drag this argument out; in fact, I'm trying to end it. Getting back to metal, I mostly like it for the intensity and/or emotion behind the music. If I really feel that a guy is screaming his ****ing heart out for his music, I can absolutely relate. And sometimes I just want a driving riff that I can rock out to. Metal took years for me to get into, but I kept an open mind and when I found the right band (and yes, chadbang, you do need to listen to more than 3 youtube clips) it all clicked and I finally understood. I'm mostly posting for the benefit of those on the outside though, and I think we're pretty much down to the people who are already into metal now.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #130 of 143
Just in case someone hasn't seen this yet
biggrin.gif

YouTube - Death Metal Puppy

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #133 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So lately I've been browsing this music forum to see what's good, and I see a lot of metal threads. Alright, thought I'd give it a shot. After all, Black Sabbath's Paranoid album is one of my favorites! Proceeded to copy and pasted some songs recommended by DarkAngel into youtube and expected something that will make me go
L3000.gif

Instead, this was my reaction...
confused_face(1).gif

I thought, "OK, maybe it's just the first minute that the guy just growls and screams over and over again." So I fast forward to the middle of the song. Still growling. Fast forward to the end of the song. Still screaming. Maybe it's the intro? Fine, tried another song. More growling. More screaming. More noise. Non-stop. What's going on here?

I know everybody has different tastes for music. But I want to know what is it about metal that you guys like so much?

I know what you mean. It's even more annoying than Opera.
wink.gif
Try Type 'O' Negative and Agalloch for metal that is much easier on the brain and actually has some listenable melody to it.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #134 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_thatguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP! Try Riverside-Second Life syndrome.Imo it's the best prog. metal album ever to date

Second Life Syndrome is progressive Rock. Anything from Riverside is progressive rock.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #135 of 143
yeah dont know whats the catch in metal too.Still love my hard rock =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back